OzRunways 2.0 now available!

Guest OzRunways

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GuysAnyone know where we are up to with OzRunways replacing paper copies of maps and ERSA?

Puddles

At the OzRunways forum at Natfly, Bas said they cant answer that because it depends on what type of flying you are doing. Apparently the discussion is going on within CASA unless I misunderstood.

Scotty

best thing i have ever purchased, i have all the others and now i will stop subscribing, oz runways rocks, all data at your fingertips full OZ charts ersa aip real time wx radar vertical profiles touch a point for info or goto or add to route, you name it, fast stable app with high definition mapping and if ya get weathered in you can watch a movie and rock on your tie downs ha.

• Like 1

I've tested both the BadElf plug-in GPS (http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/) and the Dual Bluetooth GPS with the iPad/iPhone (http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597) and OzRunways.

I just read through this thread & thought I would drop in on it!

For all you guys talking about 3G connection for your GPS I would have to say I agree with Moloch on the GPS receivers. Phone coverage in this country is pathetic at best and seriously how can we consider anything that requires that 3G connection for GPS results as a reliable navigation tool? I bought my bluetooth receiver for $90, connected simply in about 1 minute and have had no issues since. I never have more than 10m error, takes probably 50 seconds to find my position and have never ever had any coverage issues. Topped off with the fact I can throw the receiver any where in the plane and let the blue tooth do the work!!!!! Makes the Ipad and Oz runways a real GPS system. BRILLIANT!

As for Oz Runways, There is nothing better. Makes flying not only easier but a lot more fun too!!!! Can not thank you guys enough for putting this program together & then with every update you just make it better and better! Why pay big money for a GARMIN or other system when you get and Ipad and Oz runways for about the same price, plus all your wacs, ersa etc.....

For me the only downside to whole situation I think is the size, I find the Ipad a touch to big to put any where really comfortably in the cockpit and I find the Iphones a touch to small to read really well!!!! Maybe that is just me though.

(As for you all guys beating on apple, get with times!!!!! Once you go mac you never go back)

Once you go mac you never go back

Doesn't work for everyone. I bought a Macbook a few years ago and don't plan on buying any more Apple products unless I have no other choice. It's always been very slow (despite having few programs installed and oodles of free memory) runs hot and has been somewhat unreliable, with the spare parts cost being outrageous. PC's / Windows have improved to the point that I think they are superior if you are looking just for a desktop / laptop computer.

Doesn't work for everyone. I bought a Macbook a few years ago and don't plan on buying any more Apple products unless I have no other choice. It's always been very slow (despite having few programs installed and oodles of free memory) runs hot and has been somewhat unreliable, with the spare parts cost being outrageous. PC's / Windows have improved to the point that I think they are superior if you are looking just for a desktop / laptop computer.

Dem fighting words!!!! How long is a few years ago? I went to running a nearly purely mac environment (1 macbook, 2 macbook pro's, 2 Imacs's & hoping to add an air soon!) in 2008. I am a bit of nerd so I still end up with a few PC's on my desk every now and then helping people out. My old macbook (2009 Model) is still faster, runs cooler and never gives me anywhere near the issues the latest front line PC's do!!!! I will admit that my macs are modded to the utmost, chocked out with ram and the best cores but they are simply are far superior operating machine when there like this! (despite costing an arm and half a leg to make them this way!) Also when I was running predominately PC's I had to do a full format and re-write of the HD every 3 months to keep them running at any respectable speed. With my macs I just make sure I shut them down once every month and thats it.

Won't disagree Gnarly Gnu Macs are $$$$$$$ and the parts costs are simply ridiculously high, that is the main argument against them. But Apple makes it's money off it's hardware not software and that is how we get a saving. With the open source apps even outsourced programs are cheap for them, and go look at your app store, it still flanks androids any day! In comparison: OSX operating System $30-$50 Microsoft Windows, BASIC $300-$400. Iworks & Ilife Productivity suits $99 Microsoft Office $300-$400. Antivirus for Mac $0 P.A Antivirus for PC $150 P.A. I also find that macs, once mastered are actually a far more user friendly interface than a PC, which in my opinion keeps trying to dumb down the operation so much it is borderline on moronic!!!!

Right all that being said I am going to carefully sit the lid back on, and wrap it with ludicrous amounts of 100 mile an hour tape, the lid to that bottomless can of worms and throw it over a bridge into the murky depths of water below. Argued this point with many of my friends, end results stay the same! Neither gets converted!!!!

I just read through this thread & thought I would drop in on it!

For me the only downside to whole situation I think is the size, I find the Ipad a touch to big to put any where really comfortably in the cockpit and I find the Iphones a touch to small to read really well!!!! Maybe that is just me though.

Oz Runways sell a very nice Knee Pad which holds your Ipad.

Alan.

I am going to ask how long is a piece of string....... well sort of. I am told the oz runways is the bees knees, although i am currently running ozi explorer on a 7" recreational flying gps, which i am pretty happy with. My daughter is pressuring me for an ipad for her birthday, and i'm thinking well maybe i could get a half share in one with my almost teenage daughter and get to pay the full price for the privellige. I have been told that ipad 2 is better than ipad 3 for aviation, in that it is brighter, has better battery life and doesn't run as hot. Any thoughts.

I have been told that ipad 2 is better than ipad 3 for aviation, in that it is brighter, has better battery life and doesn't run as hot.

First I have heard of that I would think that the iPad 3 would be even better with the retina display and apple quote the same battery life figures

My wife has stolen my iPad 2 after not caring about them at all until our grand daughter showed her a few things on it....so looks like I will be getting a iPad 3 in the next week or so

Mark

Mine works well most times and I use it to spot check my students "fix" occasionally when in different aircraft. Occasionally on the latest version it freezes the screen, locking with the plan profile insert, or whilst inputting diversion waypoints, it locks up, and won't release the keypad input screen or sunscreens like HSI, ( yes I have the lock off!). It,s just enough of an issue for me not to thoroughly trust it and perhaps this is a good thing. I,m old school who loves the new stuff, but it is not perfect or fail safe yet....

Keep working guys, this is the future, but as Gates did with windows, it still has problems, trust the old ways.

This is my best app on my iPad and also have a backup on the phone.

Before I used it in the plane I experimented with it in the car and on the bus on the way to work. Works a treat!!!!

The developers for this App have done a great job... I quite often sit and go through some of the many different tools to get the best suit for me. Better to do it in the lounge chair than when flying and there is a lot happening.

Now can submit flight plan direct from the application..so easy.

• 1 month later...
At the OzRunways forum at Natfly, Bas said they cant answer that because it depends on what type of flying you are doing. Apparently the discussion is going on within CASA unless I misunderstood.Scotty

There's a lot of confusion out there about this at the moment. It's a pretty clear black and white answer in my view though. The only certified maps are from Airservices. The maps provided by any other orgainsation are provided by that organisation and are not certified. The guys trying to make a dollar out of digital copies of the Airservices data are trying to keep things in the grey area by pointing at their product and saying "These maps are from Airservices". It's a very important distinction though as whilst the raw data they get might be from Airservices the product that they are selling is theirs and not Airservices. Airservices have very strict quality control procedures and a strict mandate from the Australian public and yet even they still make minor mistakes. The other suppliers of maps take the digital data and put it through some sort of process to create their product which they then sell.

In my view it's basically like buying a computer from IBM, taking all the parts and putting it in your own box and then selling it as "contains IBM parts". If you started to advertise it as an IBM you'd get in a good deal of strife.

I think that for these products to even begin to be thought of as substitutes for the Airservices maps there either has to be a strict set of quality controls and perhaps some sort of licence from Airservices for these organisations or the Airservices digital data has to be protected 100%.

Can you please elaborate on some of your above post? I find it to be lacking evidence.

1) Where are your facts written in black & white? Start with your interpretation of CAR 233 and any legal precedent that would define what format maps & charts need to be in (e.g. paper, plastic, electronic, parchment, silk print, human tattoo). State your expert opinion on how the FAA AC91-78 and AC120-76B relates to CASA policy & guidance on use of EFB's in flight. Does an iPad constitute a Class 1,2 or 3 device. Type A or B software? Is CASA adopting these guidelines or are they doing something different (answer in latest flight safety magazine). When is the CASA CAAP out?

2) Define "raw data" and how 3rd party companies receive the electronic data. What format do they receive the data in?

3) How do you define putting maps through as "some kind of process"? How are the maps georeferenced? Do they change format? Are they tiled or displayed as large rasters. Do they remain as lambert conformal conic projection or are they converted to mercator? Do the maps come as images or are they a set of data that companies must render into a raster map themselves? Is this data similar/identical or different to printed paper maps that are sold in stores?

4) Can you please describe the license arrangements between AsA & 3rd party sellers to support your arguments about a lack of data protection?

Expert opinion? I stated pretty clearly it's my own personal opinion from observations and discussions. The above has gone a long way to elaborating on my point however - it's started to highlight there's a great deal more to all this than simply stating "these maps are Airservices maps".

Isn't there already a certification process for devices similar to these? Why are we trying to grey the area when there is an accepted process already in place?

Call me cynical also but if the sellers of these products have to consider all the above then who is checking they're doing it properly?

I'm running it on my iPhone and have the local charts and about 5 WAC's and it's hardly dented my space.

Anyone know how to get it to show the direction your are going as up?