Ultralight crash into lake Jindabyne

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

That's a fairly high DA......................................................................

I guess the experts will give us the answers. I see it was really nice condition which also include glassy water (hard part of landing on water) and another plane around. I also read about the engine cutting out but just heard another report the engine was running fine. It would be hard to imagine it was on landing, they are extremely strong plane and landing on the water with a bi plane configuration and ground effect means this machine lands very very slow.

Looks like the Prop wasn't turning at impact, also looks like there is black oil on the mid section of the blades, or would that be soot? It's obviously hit left wing first to fold it up like that.

Terrible that they couldn't get out and above water.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes purly just speculation at this point as I certainly don't have any real facts on the incident. However density altitude has a long history in acidents of all types, and could easily increase a descent rate because of the thin air, plus judging height above water is also a well known area of danger..As I said before just spinning the wheels looking at possibilities ...........Maj

The prop is behind the exhaust Tomo, and the exhaust is about right for the stains.

Given the skill levels of those on board, this is one accident where a quick preliminary report could save other lives.

Unfortunately under the present system the Police run the investigation and process it through the Coroner, so it may be a couple of years before the hearing and we may never get a report. The intent of the Coroner is to prevent similar accidents, so it's a flaw in our system which we should try to fix, even if responsibility for releasing the prelim report was given to ATSB.

Guest Maj Millard

Unfortunatly as is often the case in this type of accident, we may never really know the true cause....Aviation can just be a bitch at times..........................Maj

I lived for 15 years on Lake Jindabyne. Very low water level at this time of the year. Many rocks just under the water surface or perhaps carby icing .

Not good for the families, feel for them. For the Guys RIP

...my hope is that RAA investigates/examines the accident and is able to help members avoid the same result.........

A sensible observation... In the meantime our thoughts are with the families...

As Ned said "Such is life", but it always hurts

It is in times like this that we all wonder what we can say that will ease the pain, but we can never find the words to do so

Celebrate their life

Bryon

Guest davidh10

Certainly very sad. Condolences to the families and friends, of whom, it seems quite a few on this forum. I had the same thought as Tomo... could only be one person from Qld in an amphibian. :-(

(Edited by mod).

I too will be flying tomorrow, and will pause in thought for them and those they left behind.

A sensible observation... In the meantime our thoughts are with the families...

It isn't going to happen because we are locked into the Policed system (see my post #44). This procedure is very thorough and very formal, but is not suited to early release of information like the ATSB system. We should work to change it, and yes our thoughts should always first be with the families.

My God this is fast turning into Annus Horribilis.

David, and at least one other, who was feeling depressed lately.

Sometimes it seems that the world is crashing in around you, but it's only the statistic curve. We've had a few in a row close to us, and there are some lessons for us, but remember we've also had a long period with very few incidents. Recreational Flying is still a very safe occupation compared with many others (rock fishing, football etc.)

Doesn't really help at this time I know, but at least it puts it in perspective.

Guest JRMobile

Absolute tragedy, a man who was bigger than life, loved his flying and had a wicked sense of humour, and a million stories yet to tell.

Our thoughts are with those who are left behind

John and Louise

My deepest sympathies with the two families, a very sad outcome for them indeed. Life is short. And fragile.

Chris

James 4v14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

From media reports, the AC was at low altitude! ( Low Altitude )??????

A balistic chute needs to be deployed at the required altitude! Would it have saved them?????????????????????

Frank.