20th Annual QVAG Festival of Flight

Scottw

Glass half full Scott - I didn't much like the threat of another trough by Sat pm? Unless the monsoon returns, I'll be there Sat stick(s) and all. I know several forumites incl Dave Butler mentioned on another thread that they are planning to be there - for anyone that hasn't been, all I can say is it is one of my favourites and well worth a visit.

G'day Spin

Yeah, glass half full! I try to be optimist who's really a pesimist who masquerades as a realist.........053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif now thats a sad attempt at humour isn't it

Anyway back to the matter at hand,

According to the "forcasts" for Caboolture/Redcliffe which I have been following on Weatherzone -

Friday is predicted 70% chance of showers 1-5ml & Temp -22

Saturday is predicted 60% chance of showers increasing 10-20ml & Temp -22

Sunday is predicted 20% chance of showers <1ml & Temp - 24

And a UV index of High

And the wind is predicted to be coming from ENE - Northerly during the event. And predicted to range form 4knts to 9knts both days so at least they are not predicting howling winds as has been the case as many who live along the SE QLD Coast would probably be very well aware.

Cheers

Yep Scottw the forcast has got worse during the week. I have pulled the pin on this 1 last night but as I sit here now looking outside I am seeing sunshine and blue sky. It would be my luck that tomorrow will be clear & dry:crying:. I hope it is good turn out as this is generally a very good event. Maybe drive up on Sun??

Bugger! I'm restricted to Sat only due to prior commitments and this doesn't look promising. I'll make the call in the morning. So what's next DB, you'll have to jump in early n see if you can snaffle WPI for her first Straddie breakfast, next month?

For those flying in, link for local procedures on the day;

http://www.qvag.com.au/procedure.asp

This gets better n better:crying:, latest forecast received from an unofficial but authorative source;

South Brisbane Storms:

Another signigicant rainfall event is beginning to get underway for a large part of QLD.

The last rainfall system we saw earlier this week largely affected areas close to the coast, but this developing upper trough / surface trough situation should give the inland areas of QLD the best rain they've seen in quite a few months.

Currently there is a lot of low cloud spreading throughout, but just some light drizzly showers near the coast. Throughout the day, this cloud should continue to thicken up in response to the approaching upper trough.

By tonight, we should start to see more frequent showers beginning to develop north of Brisbane (especially between about Gladstone to the Sunshine Coast), and by tomorrow morning there should be more extensive areas of rain developing with some moderate to locally heavy falls anywhere south from about Townsville down to North Eastern NSW, and also extending west into the Maranoa/Warrego districts and Central Highlands and Coalfields between about Charleville to Emerald.

Widespread rainfall totals between 50-100mm look possible for a large area of QLD at this stage.

Once the initial upper trough responsible for the rain starts to shift off the coast early Sunday morning, we should still be left with some healthy instability, decent surface heating and very warm temperatres.

This could result in extensive thunderstorms developing Sunday afternoon in a line from around Cairns south to SE QLD.

Quite an impressive looking system if everything comes together as forecast, and also the first real "Spring" type setup for this year!

Going to try fly 8am to 9am around Redcliffe and maybe do a circuit at YCAB if it's not busy. Then I'm going to drive there. I'll come find you after 10am, in hangar 10 or 72.

It turned out to be a great day. The runway was dry, and actually a little softer than usual which was good! You had to watch where you walked though, lots of mud. No wind, and I nailed the landing, which is always a bonus when you land in front of a crowd! Some guy was taking pictures of the planes landing, and I would love to find out who and how I can get a copy of the picture he took of me. At least I think that was what he was doing.

Good selection of warbirds, cars, tanks, all sorts. All in all worth it.

A colleague from work bumped into me there, so I got him to put his little son in the plane and chat to each other on the wireless headsets and fiddle with the controls. They wern't keen on going up, but at least he has something to tell the kids at school about.

Neil, I went round to hangar 10, but you wernt there. Maybe next time.

Ryan

What a difference a day makes. was on Volunteer Duty public parking on Saturday, surprisingly about a hundred vehicles but showers drizzle on and off and about a 300' ceiling. Not a single aircraft in or out.

Went back at 2pm today, planes people everywhere, joy flights taking off and landing every few minutes in Nanchang, Jab's, Trojan, Antonov, Gazelle,Technams, Powered Gliders, De-Haviland Dragon - a feast for the public, even saw a pitts do some aero work. I'm sure the organisers breathed a sigh of relief.

That the AN2?Couldn't resist eh Neil! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

It was the end of the day, the boys were calling last drinks, and the big girl just called out my name! What a ride, just a big Savannah with double wings and a lot of Russian attitude. Even got the co-pilots slot. Vodka shots for all!!

G'day rdarby and all

rdarby, I recieved your comm and many thanks. Had the opportunity to have a good look through my shots and I am at pains to inform that the image of the Sportstar didn't work out. I usually ring off a couple of test shots to start the day and unfortunately the Sportstar was the first plane that flew past the lens and unfortunately they didn't come out that good. thankfully I did manage to get into the swing of the day.

• Like 1