Too fat for RA-Aus

Hi I am really excited about training for my RA-AUS Pilot Certificate, however I weigh 130 kilograms. Will I be too heavy to train for this? If so what weight will I need to reach before I can take this up. Is there a way I can just find a really really skinny instructor

Jason , you are a funny man. You have two problems. First of all the planes we are allowed to fly are too light to carry you and most instructors and be under the max AUW. Also (and I have had this problem) If you don't get your weight down you won't be around to enjoy your flying experiences very long. Get the weight off mate. Nev.

Jason , you are a funny man. You have two problems. First of all the planes we are allowed to fly are too light to carry you and most instructors and be under the max AUW. Also (and I have had this problem) If you don't get your weight down you won't be around to enjoy your flying experiences very long. Get the weight off mate. Nev.

And if that just isn't going to be feasible check out a Cessna 152, or 172, Both have easy access and your weight in the 172 isn't an issue. If you're hiring aircraft you'll find that the higher hourly rate is offset by a lot less flying hours because of the more predictable handling of these aircraft while you are learning to fly, and to keep up recency.

To add to the list above I got out the W&B form for the Foxbat. Assuming total weight of Pilot and instructor was less than or equal to 200kg, that leaves enough 'space' for the full 89 litres of usable fuel. At 20lph that gives 267 minutes endurance, or 222 minutes including the 45 min fixed reserves.

So if you can find a Foxbat around the place you should be good.

Don't quote me but I think a Lightwing might take you as you are.It's also got a bigger cockpit than a Jabi.

As other have said, get some of that weight off mate. Heart attacks are deadly, especially if you're flying at the time.

Good luck in your quest.

Hi Deskpilot & Jason,

I tipped the scales at 120kg & just over 6ft when I strated my GA to RA conversion on a Lightwing, not a good idea for us of larger build. I tried a Lightwing and it was positively the most uncomfortable A/C I have flown in my 30 odd years of aviating, all due I must say to my size. I lost about 5kg and moved to a Tecnam Eaglet & Echo Super and have not looked back, enjoy every minute. Although the Lightwing is a great A/C even with my small loss in weight I still find the Lightwing uncomfortable, just a personal thing I suppose. 1 thing Jason, and I speak from personal experience here as being overweight, by keeping your weight up there you will limiting yourself to the RA A/C you will be able to fly.

I really feel sorry for you guys trying to lose weight ( I'm 70 kgs ) and I find it impossible to put weight on no matter what or how much I eat. Having said that, I do put on around 2 grams per month but lose it all again when I cut my nails and have a hair cut. (no smilies this time as I am serious).

Alan.

• Like 1

Jason,

As you start studying your ground subjects, you will learn that

MTOW = A/c Empty Weight + Fuel + Payload.

All pilots want to get the most fuel and the most payload in the plane. Unnecessary body weight kills both. Every 10 Kg of body weight roughtly equals 13 litres of fuel, which is roughly one hour's endurance of the planes we usually fly.

So, it goes without saying that lighter bodies fly further.

The really good news is that wanting to fly can be turned to your advantage in the marital area. No doubt you weren't the size you are when you settled with your beloved. Your beloved would jump at the chance to have back the body she fell in love with.

All you have to say to her is "Honey, I want to lose weight, so you can show me off to your girlfrends and learning to fly is my special incentive for losing it."

Best of luck with both.

All 125 Kks of

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

Jason,

Good luck with the flying.

I agree with everyone else- loose the weight if you can.

Your life will be far longer and more enjoyable.

And as has been stated, the lower the pilot weight, the better the performance.

As a aside, in days gone past, I was into fast bikes and saw many a guy spend big on parts for more go and better handling, braking etc. All wasted money all they had to do was loose weight.

I understand it can be a long and difficult road but you will be ever thankful.

AS a aside and not aimed at you-- here is a joke to lighten it up-

"How does a 140kg women loose 20kg of unsightly weight------------- Cut her head off."

I know not real funny.

Phil

• Like 1

Jason,As you start studying your ground subjects, you will learn that

MTOW = A/c Empty Weight + Fuel + Payload.

All pilots want to get the most fuel and the most payload in the plane. Unnecessary body weight kills both. Every 10 Kg of body weight roughtly equals 13 litres of fuel, which is roughly one hour's endurance of the planes we usually fly.

So, it goes without saying that lighter bodies fly further.

The really good news is that wanting to fly can be turned to your advantage in the marital area. No doubt you weren't the size you are when you settled with your beloved. Your beloved would jump at the chance to have back the body she fell in love with.

All you have to say to her is "Honey, I want to lose weight, so you can show me off to your girlfrends and learning to fly is my special incentive for losing it."

Best of luck with both.

All 125 Kks of

Old Man Emu

You're a cunning old bas+ard Mr Emu (but I like your style!) 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif Cheers Riley

Hi I am really excited about training for my RA-AUS Pilot Certificate, however I weigh 130 kilograms. Will I be too heavy to train for this? If so what weight will I need to reach before I can take this up. Is there a way I can just find a really really skinny instructor

Jason,

Lots of good feedback in this thread.

Like you I have been really keen to get flying but have been concerned about how my weight might impact training and aircraft I might want to fly in. I had been talking about starting training for ages but my kids bit the bullet and bought me a TIF and 2 lessons for my 60th. I contacted the flight school concerned and discovered that the training would be in a Skyfox Gazelle and that being over 100kg's could be a problem - It was just the motivation I needed. I am now down to the 100kg (from 112) and am using the future training opportunity as real motivation to peel off more weight - dont plan on booking the TIF until I'm in the low 90's and expect this to be late November at this rate.

I know our long term wellbeing ought to be enough motivation to drop some kilo's, but I have found that the real desire to be able to do something I really want to do has provided that extra incentive..... and to be honest, that incentive has meant that the weight loss task has been pretty easy so far.

Good luck to you as you work through how to get airborne.

• Like 4

Well Jason and Jakor....do you mind if I refer to you as J & J you two guys could really start a trend here by reaching your goals and being an inspiration to others.

Why don't you give us all a regular update on your weight losses (sort of a competition) as this could be another incentive to get yourselves airborne.

We might be able to arrange through some of our generous forumites who are instructors to give you a free TIF if you reach your weight target.

Any forumites got any other incentives?????

Alan.

• Like 1

Any forumites got any other incentives?????

Hi Alan,

I don't have any further incentives for J & J, but I promised myself an electric starter & battery (instead of the Rotax 503 Pull-start) if I could lose at least the weight of the package (11 Kgs). So I made the goal 15Kgs ... and I certainly noticed the change in (increased) amount of lift and climb rate!

Peter

Hi Alan,I don't have any further incentives for J & J, but I promised myself an electric starter & battery (instead of the Rotax 503 Pull-start) if I could lose at least the weight of the package (11 Kgs). So I made the goal 15Kgs ... and I certainly noticed the change in (increased) amount of lift and climb rate!

Peter

Good onya Peter, I bet it gave you a huge mental lift as well. How about another 15kgs, you could then add an extra fuel tank and fly to Natfly next year.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

this thread has motivated me to have another beer and think about how many more i need to have to get to 100kg :)

Sorry guys, i had a guy i taught to fly who was 135kg, and probably only about 15 kg of fat, hes happy as a pig in it now flying happily at the same weight, you need to find a craft that will fly you, and the xenon was the only to do it for him, and he fit in the cab with heaps of room.

of course you need to be into rotary wing to do it :)