Too fat for RA-Aus

Guest aussie carl

The only way is to shed the weight. I was 100kg now 88kg and droping. A low carbohydrate and no sugar diet is the only way. OH and exercise but my work is pretty physical so I don't bother exercising as such.

Find a very light weight instructor. I weigh 125kg and my instructor would have been less than 60kg. The 170 was still able to take around 95l of avgas without breaking the limits. A j160 will cause a few problems as the max takeoff weight is 56kg less.

Once you go solo things will change..

Find a very light weight instructor. I weigh 125kg and my instructor would have been less than 60kg. The 170 was still able to take around 95l of avgas without breaking the limits. A j160 will cause a few problems as the max takeoff weight is 56kg less.Once you go solo things will change..

The above is very true but unless you are happy flying on your own in a two seater, what happens when you want to take a passenger?

Alan.

Just hoe ok an update on this,firstly I contacted Path finder Avation at Archerfiled and told him my situation and the instructor told me is would not be a problem in their Jab 170?? The guy I spoke to, I think his name may have been David, was more worried about my height, I am 6'2" So I am going down on the weekend to see if I fit in the plane.

However this thread has been alot of motivation. I realised that I don't just want to learn how to fly, I want to actually fly, as in fly where I want, with passengers etc. At my current weight I might be able to start training, but I wont be able to carry the fuel I want, or fly with my big fat brother in law. So I am changing a few things in my life around and alreaady I have lost 3 kilos, (or maybe I should be thinking, gained 3 litres of Avgas??)

Just hope everything goes smooth on the weekend then I can take my introductory.

• Like 3

you've gained slightly over 4 litres of avgas. Avgas weighs 0.72kg / litre.

So your formula for finding out how much avgas you've gained is:

litres of avgas gained = weight loss in kg / 0.72

another way to think about it is in how many minutes of flight you just gained, which might make you feel pretty good too.

the formula for that is

time gained (in minutes) = ((weight loss in kg/0.72) / fuel consumption in litres/hour) * 60

so assuming an approximate 10 litres/hour

= ((3/0.72) / 10) * 60

= 25 minutes additional flight time

Which I think you'll agree is a damn good start, unless my maths is bad.

Congratulations on the 4.17 litres of avgas and have a wonderful flight on the weekend.

*edit*

bugger, the j170 consumes about 15 litres/hour, so you've only gained 16 minutes extra flight time. thats still a bloody good start though.

Jason,

Congratulations. What method are you using? I just worked out that if I lost 1kg per week, I would be 85kg when I left for Oshkosh next year. Oh Lord, give me the motivations!

And Jason, if you keep swapping kilos for 1.39 litres we will soon have to call you Jason LightWeiss.

OME

Guest SAJabiruflyer

I've gone from 90kg down to 80kg in the past 3 months. I'm not a big guy, only 5'10", so with 90kg on me, I couldnt see my toes when standing up...too much belly in the way! All I did was cut out snacks and chocolate and chips etc that I would eat after work whilst sitting on the lounge. I cut out beer during the week too. On weekends I eat what I want. No extra exercise. I beleive it's all about making your input match your output - so I ate less. I guess everyone is different and some may be genetically inclined towards being overweight.

And for Tomo - until I hit 25yrs old I was 66kg. Then beer and junk food caught up with me rapidly. Your turn will come 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif074_stirrer.gif.f7f0365dccba2c0c4d074e832eec2536.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

If he keeps going to PNG he will get threadworms that will help to keep his weight in control as well as helping his auto-immune system to work normally.. and avoid asthma MS etc.

True about the eating. There were no obese inmates from Changi or Belsen..

Often quick reduction is followed by equally quickly putting it back on once you stop dieting. Whatever you do, it has to be a lifestyle change to be effective.. " Do what I say, not what I am capable of doing". . Nev

• Like 1