Do you use the site forum sections?

Admin

Do you use the site forum sections?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the site forum sections?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I just use the All Forums option

Across the top of the forums is a menu that allows you to just view the forums of your choice:

All Forums

Recreational

General Aviation

Building

Enthusiasts

What I would like to know is whether you use this feature OR do you just leave it at All Forums?

Just following up on the use of any enhancement that I do to ascertain if you find things helpful or not

The "What's New (24 Hours)" is my own phrase and like many things I spend hours creating here for you, are just copied by another site...a form of flattery that shows everyone that Recreational Flying always leads the way and others just try and copy us. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Incidentally, this site has recently won another award from the aviation industry "Services to the Aviation Industry" but more on that later.

Anyway, the reason for the question was whether to change the code of the "What's New" and "What's New (24 Hours)" to just display what section you are on if the section menu was being used...the poll at this stage seems to be showing that it isn't worth the workload to change that code...in fact, it may well be probable to remove that functionality. I have to keep asking to get feedback on what you guys want so this site can keep delivering more and more specific to your needs...thanks

Guys, thanks for your comments however I hope you have voted as that will indicate whether I change the What's New etc to just being for the specific section you are in

I too use the What's New? (24 Hours), its easier...Congrats on the award!

And also, Id just like to add (and acknowledge): Thanks to the XenForo Community for developing the great forum software, without them, this would be a very different website. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

It was different Ig, we were using vBulletin, so another site went to vBulletin, we went to XF, they went to XF...testament to all the hard work that is done here by many great people in always leading the way and others just seem to try and copy all our hard work...don't you hate the cretins that support these copiers...they copy my terms (eg "What's New (24hrs)"), they copy my sub forum layout etc etc ALL which is not standard

Im confused,not unusual .I click on whats new daily.Because i see the latest posts from the different forums.I also check out the other forums as well incase I may have missed something.I voted no just all forums.Which Im thinking, I have made a boo boo.Which will put the vote out.Sorry:peepwall:

Daz, currently clicking "What's New" will show you ALL the posts in ALL forums (except News) that you have not read in the last 14 days. Clicking "What's New (24hrs)" will show you ALL posts in ALL forums (except News) that have been made in the last 24hrs even if you have already read them.

So, if you come here at least once a day or 2, just click the "What's New" and you will only see the threads that have posts in them that you have not read yet...hope this helps

Daz, currently clicking "What's New" will show you ALL the posts in ALL forums (except News) that you have not read in the last 14 days. Clicking "What's New (24hrs)" will show you ALL posts in ALL forums (except News) that have been made in the last 24hrs even if you have already read them.So, if you come here at least once a day or 2, just click the "What's New" and you will only see the threads that have posts in them that you have not read yet...hope this helps

Thank you it does.

.testament to all the hard work that is done here by many great people in always leading the way and others just seem to try and copy all our hard work...don't you hate the cretins that support these copiers...

Ian,

I appreciate the work you do for us, I really do. But I think you'll find that some of your most faithful members here are also members of many aviation sites around the world. I count myself amongst them. Many of them contribute much of the content and expertise that makes this site what it is. I don't think it does you any favours to call them cretins....

Here's the conundrum... moderate both posts to keep the peace and suffer from the screams of censorship from down south or leave them both as is with the risk of a repeat of sunday bloody sunday.... 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

...think I'll go hurl rocks at the moon instead.086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

...moderate away

Nah Pete, I'm a big believer in free speech and recognising that people having differing opinions and interests. I'm more concerned that this could turn into forum wars version 6.3 and there have been far too many casualties from the previous ones to run that risk.

P.S. I meant further south, like overseas south, in case you were wondering...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 1

Ian,I appreciate the work you do for us, I really do. But I think you'll find that some of your most faithful members here are also members of many aviation sites around the world. I count myself amongst them. Many of them contribute much of the content and expertise that makes this site what it is. I don't think it does you any favours to call them cretins....

I was referring to the Moderators and Staff of those sites, they are the ones that are supporting the copying of other people's work, nothing to do with users, the site owner is the one doing the copying and those that work with him are supporting him doing the copying. The hard work here is done not only by myself but the Moderators and staff who support this resource with the work they do as an administrative team

Don't worry about other sites. Copiers will always come second because they can never catch up the lead time. Innovators will always attract a following.

I frequently use the What's New 48 hours after I've had a thought on something. Without that facility it's often hard to find the thread because (a) most of them have obscure titles, (b) often they are buried in rarely used categories.

• Like 1

TP, if you find a thread/post that you want to go back to you can always use the Post-It Notes function here at Recreational Flying...just click the "Post-It" link at the bottom of any post, create any notes that you may like to make to yourself, and it is marked for you to refer back to it by clicking "Post-It Notes" in the drop down box of your user name on the main menu