Vocabulary, Spelling, Grammar

turboplanner

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
Personally i live by the mantra of "never use a large word when an exiguous one will do"...

Don't you think that, in practice, this could lead to a paucity of understanding?

Guest davidh10

One of the latest American annoyances that has crept into the Australian vernacular is the use of the term "get-go". I just don't understand why anyone would want to use such a non-word in place of "start" or "beginning".

Another annoying US buzz-phrase is "going forward". I have heard this being used by business people on the radio as an imprecise substitute for "the future" or "next year" as in: "it's our aim to increase profits by 12 per cent, going forward."

This phrase probably originated in an American MBA school and/or college, has subsequently been picked up by other people and (via the process of cultural imperialism) has now arrived Down Under. Would you agree?

I used 10 of the 14 punctuation marks in what I just wrote above; and, there is one more in this sentence. gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif What are the other three?

Full Stop .

Comma ,

Colon :

Semicolon ;

Dash / (I think)

Hyphen -

Apostrophe '

Question Mark ?

Brackets < >

Parenthesis ( )

Braces { }

Ellipsis ...

Not sure about your use of the colon there eighty

Another annoying US buzz-phrase is "going forward". I have heard this being used by business people on the radio as an imprecise substitute for "the future" or "next year" as in: "it's our aim to increase profits by 12 per cent, going forward."This phrase probably originated in an American MBA school and/or college, has subsequently been picked up by other people and (via the process of cultural imperialism) has now arrived Down Under. Would you agree?

I used 10 of the 14 punctuation marks in what I just wrote above; and, there is one more in this sentence. gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif What are the other three?

! - , thinking thinking.......

Pud

You wouldn't rely on Microsoft's Grammar Checker...would you! I just disable it.The spell checker is ok as it picks up a lot of the spelling mistakes my keyboard makes ;-) due to the fact that they are usually not actual words at all.

My email client sends me little messages if I try to email a message that's a little risqué... it asks me if I realise that my message could get the computer's keyboard washed out with soap and water!

kaz

My email client sends me little messages if I try to email a message that's a little risqué... it asks me if I realise that my message could get the computer's keyboard washed out with soap and water!kaz

That's artificial intelligence Kaz, be careful you don't buy one that outdoes you!

I'd agree, in the corporate world there are always people trying to impress by using big words and slick sayings.

like "you're unsophisticated, deteriorated, drowned in the exuberance your own verbosity. If you mean to insinuate I'm going to tolerate such outrageous audacity from an insignificant piece of humanity such as you, you're bloody well mistaken"