Radios

Can depend on panel space and certification requirements and budget. You can support Ozzie with microair... think xcom is overseas now???

If it is non-metallic LSA you will have to add a ground plane to your antenna..

What are the best radios and transponders to fit to a LSA ?

I like the twin Microair set up on 24-7595. It allows monitoring on 4 channels at once, transmitting on one with a clear indication of what is what.029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

The Com1-Com2 switch allows a simple switch to either radio. The transponder is in the middle. Look at the 24-7595 gallery.

Marcus

• 2 months later...

I did have a bad run with an early Microair, but its replacement has been very good, a -8? model it can monitor 2 channels at once, and can listen in on AWIS channels too. The tuner lets you select those high frequencies and you cant transmit there though. I have had fairly good support from their base in Bundy too.

I had a Avtech say he was concerned about the ribbon connector between the screen and body of the Icom, but they do make good stuff.

My J 230D has a Microair radio which has given me grief since I bought the plane second hand in sept 2010. It works beautifully when receiving but on occasions I've had people in other aircraft tell me my transmissions are barely readable and somewhat garbled (only when at cruise throttle setting). When I press the PPT button the noise in the headset is quite loud. I've tried all sorts of solutions for only small improvements. I've adjusted the side tone and mike volume, checked for faulty earths and added half a dozen ferrite coils in strategic locations. I have read on google that the noise canceling qualities of the Microair are not as good as some others. My next move is to prove whether it's the radio or the engine or wiring by swapping the radio with a proven radio. Has anyone got any thoughts.

Billwoodmason.

My J 230D has a Microair radio which has given me grief since I bought the plane second hand in sept 2010. It works beautifully when receiving but on occasions I've had people in other aircraft tell me my transmissions are barely readable and somewhat garbled (only when at cruise throttle setting). When I press the PPT button the noise in the headset is quite loud. I've tried all sorts of solutions for only small improvements. I've adjusted the side tone and mike volume, checked for faulty earths and added half a dozen ferrite coils in strategic locations. I have read on google that the noise canceling qualities of the Microair are not as good as some others. My next move is to prove whether it's the radio or the engine or wiring by swapping the radio with a proven radio. Has anyone got any thoughts.Billwoodmason.

Bill ,

You can waste a lot of time following well intended advice from others . The fault may or may not be in the radio. Try sending it back to Microair . I had a fault with mine recently and had the radio back in just over a week , and thats from Victoria .You can discuss to fault, and repair cost with the Technician , and then decide whether to go ahead or not .

Bob

I had a hell of a time with intermittent problems with my Garmin and after the tech swapping radios, this and that, eventually found the BNC connector at the aerial was the culprit...nothing wrong with the radio

Had one with a friends MicroAir - gave distorted TX [itermittently].

Was in Burdaberg with the aircraft and got MicroAir to test it. Bench Tested OK. SWR on aerial OK. Air tested OK.

Unable to fault. 3months later still working perfectly.

I put it down to the BNC connector not making good earth, although the connector was not re-terminated just moved for testing.

If the fauly re-appears we will replace the BNC connector first up.

Intermittent faults are the hardest to find.

Frank