Biggest trip??

crazy diamond

I flew my brand new Jabiru J170 from Bundaberg in Queensland to Gawler, SA. Took two days with a stay in Bourke. This link http://users.adam.com.au/kleb/welcome.html will tell you more. I am so glad I had a co-pilot because I got very tired and unlike a car one cannot just pull over for a quick nap. The weather Gods were very kind although tail winds would have been better.

Hi guys, I thought it would be interesting to know the furthest/most adventurous flights you've done? Possibly list by departure point/place, stops/final destination, time taken and aircraft type, cheers!

My avatar photo was taken at the end of a 3600 NM flight in my Auster in 2009. It took 38.5 engine hours from memory.

I went north from Locksley in central Victoria and stayed over at Cobar, Longreach, Barkley Tablelands Homestead, Alice Springs, William Creek and Broken Hill before getting back home.

The Qantas Founders museum, Alice Springs RSL and Lake Eyre (with water) were the highlights for me.

I'll jump in.

Having spent most of my flying years building and modifying, I have yet to make any really long trips. A few of trips from YQDI to YTEM, YCNK and YWCK only. Each one was treated as a test run for the big trip to visit my mate in Darwin, which hopefully will be May next year.

Perhaps this thread is a good place to share ideas and experiences of the tin tacks of a trip. What to take, how to get fuel without carrying your own empty jerry can, where we might be able to safely tie down our pride and joy or hopefully, even get the temporary use of a hangar.

Any takers?

I have been flying since 1985 and have covered most of Australia in that time. Two trips stand out. 1987 with 3 other guys I hired the club 182 VH-TIN and flew Latrobe valley-mildura-Leigh Creek South-Coober Pedy- Ayres Rock- Alice Springs-Tennant Creek-Tindal- Darwin. Returned Via Jabiru-Ngukurr- Booroloola-Burktown-Normanton-George Town-Townsville-Makay-Great Kepple Island-Rockhampton-Coolangatta-Woolongong-Latrobe Valley. A total of 48 hours over three weeks. A great trip! Another standout was a trip with my brother in May last year I flew my Skyranger VH-ELS from Latrobe valley- Bendigo-Mildura-Broken Hill- Arkaroola- Sight seeing over Lake Eyre- William Creek-Coober Pedy-Alice Springs-Tennant Creek-Hooker Creek-Kununurra. From Kununurra we did a couple of trips, El Questro- The Bungle Bungles- Kununurra. and Wyndham- Coastal to Kalumburoo- Mitchell Falls-Kununurra. We returned via Timber Creek-Victoria River Downs-Tennant Creek-Barkley Homestead-Mt. Isa-Winton-Longreach-Charleville-Lightening Ridge-Narromine-Aulbury-Latrobe Valley. A total of 60 hours over nearly 4 weeks. Absolutely unforgetable. Its all out there just do it. As a wise man once said.. Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.

Greg.

• Like 2

Guest cficare

bugger that boaty...

i went from deniliquin to the kimberleys in a ford...(it wasn't fun)...

PS i dont like holdens eithter

PPS bloody good effort in a gyro!

This thread opens a whole heap of memories.

Longest single trip was in a Airtourer 100 taking 55 hours to depart from and return to the Central Wheatbelt in WA to Toowoomba, via Victoria twice, and incorporating the Airtourer Association Convention in Parkes in 1980. Avgas at <50 cents a litre was a real bonus.

Best backside bender was Ayers Rock to Bruce Rock, via Forrest and Kalgoorlie in an August day, first light to nearly last light. 940 Nm with a 95 knot cruise.

Best distance in a day was Mildura to Bruce Rock in a C172M, which i think is about 1210 Nm.

Craziest journey was to accomodate a mate who purchased an Airtourer 100 in Sydney and wanted it relocated back to WA in 1985. Two and a half days on a Deluxe Coachlines (remember them) to get to Sydney, a day spare in Sydney, and another two and a half days to get back home. The coach seat was a lot tougher on the backside than the Airtourer seat!! If I remebember correctly I gave my mate $5 change from the $500 he gave me for the whole trip.

Under ideal circunstances light aircraft are great at chewing up distance. Under less than ideal circumtances. lets just say that can they be frustrating and character building!

Guest Maj Millard

Two memorable ones for me, both in 912 Lightwings, although I did do Townsville to Old Station South of Rockhampton and return, twice in the Drifter.

Townsville - Bruslee Stn (S of Charters towers) - Emerald - Charleville - Bourke - Narromine - Temora in 3 days.

Townsville - Nebo - Dingo roadhouse - Tomos' Cecil Plains - Grafton - Taree - Hunter Valley, Elderslie in 3 days. then return same route in 2 days.....................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

That would have been an epic. All I can think of is intermittent sunburn under that rotor. Did you have a ground crew or did you have the fuel range to do it unsupported?

No ground support. Two gyros. Both of them were tandems (an ELA-08 and an MT-03) so we had our spare fuel (70 ltrs) and luggage in the back seat. Pushed along fairly hard (75kts + most of the time) so that and all the weight made our fuel consumption crap (3 hours), but that worked out just fine. With some local flying around the Kimberleys the total trip was 84 hours flying. The whole trip was a great adventure and easier than most people imagine. No problem at all with fuel, accommodation, transport ... all worked out brilliantly .. and had the time of our lives.

• Like 1

Our last big trip was Melbourne Cup weekend

Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat, Maryborough(vic), Swan Hill, Broken Hill,

Broken Hill, Tibooburra, Camerons Cnr, Dig Tree, Birdsville,

Birdsville, Charleville, Bundaberg,

Bundaberg, Moree, Dubbo, Bendigo, Bacchus Marsh.

26 hrs over 4 days with a 30 knt head wind on the last day.

Brian and Linda

Guest cficare

well done brill!....u must be a lucky guy, usually its headwinds all the way, regardless of the direction of travel (Aviation Law of Gravity NO.2)...No 1 is that u wont strike turbulence until someone pulls out a camera......can't remember the other 30 rules!

Good on you Brian and Linda. gregrobertsons is something too.

The most notable thing I can find is LAE-ML direct 12 hours flight time on 28 Nov 1966. Not particularly eventfull but a ranging rarity. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

Beech field (Wichita)- Bangor (Maine)-St Johns (Canada)-Santa Maria (Azores)-Palma (Majorca)-Heraklion (Crete)-Luxor (Egypt)-Fujairah (UAE)-Hyderabad (India)-Bandah Aceh-Bali-Darwin-Cairns in 7 days.

The longest leg being 7.3 hours from one end of Indonesia to the other! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Beech field (Wichita)- Bangor (Maine)-St Johns (Canada)-Santa Maria (Azores)-Palma (Majorca)-Heraklion (Crete)-Luxor (Egypt)-Fujairah (UAE)-Hyderabad (India)-Bandah Aceh-Bali-Darwin-Cairns in 7 days.The longest leg being 7.3 hours from one end of Indonesia to the other! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

And you got paid to do it.Got to love that.HH(I assuming you picked of a King Air ?) If not disregard this comment.

UK to Ausralia in a 1950 C170 VFR in 1990 (pre GPS) & 1991 around NZ airrace (we were not racing) in a C170. Quite a few outback trips in Australia - most memorable - from YMMB up to the gulf and back down the coast.

Guest Andys@coffs

Picked up my J230 from previous owner in Tully FNQ and then flew direct to Adeliade via an overnight stop at Noccundra Hotel in SWQLD. The biggest issue was the damn flies that I exported from Noccundra back to Adelaide.....I guess it gave me something to do on the way home past brokenhill.......Did I mention that I now know why they call the outback the GAFA Great Australian FA.I got to understand how ballsy the first Australian Aviators were flying over that outback country when maps were probably non existant to rudimentary at best. It would be easy to get lost out that way.......GPS is magic.

BTW if anyone is interested the flight and photos etc where posted on here years ago. http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/lower-tully-qld-to-gawler-sa.1396/#post-12564

Since then Ive done Gawler-Narromine-Grafton quite a few times (about 6hrs 40 mins) and Grafton to Monto for the Northern RAA Flyin as well (about 4hrs30)

Andy

Just realised that I am suffering from small flight syndrome...001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif The delivery flights from Bundaberg to Murray Bridge in 2007 and 2010 were the longest in terms of distance. The 2007 one with 24-5083 was overnighting in Coonabarabran (light), Narromine (fuel), Hay(wee), YMBD. The 2010 one was intended to be a one day exercise, but WX rules, OK? Fueled 24-7595 at Narromine then stopped at Hay to ease the Jabiru back then we were forced to land (WX) at Pinnaroo and overnight before scud running back to YMBD next day. The autopilot on 7595 makes taking a pee possible without entering into a spiral dive....029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

The most interesting flight was around Lake Eyre when in flood in 2009. YMBD to Manninghill to Maree to William Creek. I am told they have sealed the strip at William Creek now. Good place for Avgas and a beer.

The most succulent was a crayfish trip to Robe/Kingston. 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Marcus