STRIP MOWING PROBLEM SOLVED!

Methusala

Guest Andys@coffs
Stone the crows Nev what are you on about. We started off with with a field (87 acres), one shed and a drop toilet which cost less than the mower you are suggesting.The mower we built did an excellent job and is still doing so, mowed our runways and taxiways very efficiently and with the money we avoided having to spend, we were able to drink good South Australian wine, have good South Aussie food on our regular barbeques, fly regularly from our pristine runways, and build up our Club to what it is today.

(180 acres, four runways, 24 hangars, large toilet and shower block, large clubroom, TWO Tractors and we the members own it all), and it all started with a field and a home made mower.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Alan.

Alan

You know the bit in Croc dundee where he says thats not a knife........ Same approach to grass in SA vs Grass on the east coast. Perhaps it has something to do with the East coast generally continuous annual rain fall rather than an annual 5 month drought over summer for places in SA like Truro..... Where I live now, at this time of year a mow is almost required twice per week, not at all like Truro Flats!!!!

I suspect that over here, an approach like youve suggested is more likely to generate 2 furrows, wheel sized, than cut grass unless you had a concrete pad starting block and a very big fly wheel affect to get it up to speed before encountering grass and to then stop it getting bogged down.

Andy

Many years ago a member of the Barossa Birdmen built a slasher which we used for many years before selling it to another airstrip nearby. It was made from the rear axle of a Hillman car (something to do with being the ideal diff gear ratio). The drive shaft was cut quite close to the axle and then instead of being horizontal was turned down to be vertical and two large slasher blades were attached, this gave us about a five foot diameter cut. An 'A' frame was then welded to the axle with a normal ball fitting to be towed behind a vehicle. The 'A' frame then had two cross members welded on to support some largs concrete blocks which prevented the unit from bouncing around. As the wheels turned so did the slasher blades. I don't have any photos but some of you engineering welding types should be able to copy the idea.As the airfield (Truro Flats) is now twice its size with four runways and several taxiways we have upgraded to a larger bought unit behind a tractor but to my knowledge the old slasher is still being used to this day on the other airstrip. It was very cheap to run as we towed it behind an old bomb of a Holden which was unregistered as it remained on the airfield.

Alan.

PS It was also quieter than three Victas.

To cut a long story short, I'll just say that this seems like a great idea, Guernsey.

I'm pleased to hear that your aero club facilities has grown so well and the airfield has not been closed (as seems to be the case in other places).

• Like 1

We use an old car diff, with the pinion turned down and a couple of steel blades attached. In other words a slasher. Towed at 40kph it covers about metre, so it doesn't take long to mow the strip.

The tyres are water filled to keep them in contact with the ground and the thing to look for is a diff with enough clearance between pinion and ground.

• Like 2

We use an old car diff, with the pinion turned down and a couple of steel blades attached. In other words a slasher. Towed at 40kph it covers about metre, so it doesn't take long to mow the strip.The tyres are water filled to keep them in contact with the ground and the thing to look for is a diff with enough clearance between pinion and ground.

What a top idea... Keep It Simple Sam...

Ahh.... the VICTA TRI-MOTOR. I just want to hear the fearsome sound, reminds me of reading about the deafening roar of Kingys "Old Bus"