Mid wing to high wing conversion.

I am toying with the idea of converting my corella to a high wing configuration. A couple of reasons being ease of access and protection from the sun on longer trips. The little bird is mid wing at present with struts going down to bottom of the fuselage. has anyone done something like this before or has ideas on the way it should be done ?

if you have a lift strut braced wing, then the wing root is under some considerable compression loading. even more so when you extend the lift struts, as it will provide more leverage. so is the upper cockpit area designed for such loadings? and the gust load peaks during turbulence?

I agree with F-T. For a prolonged aviation experience, sell the Corella and buy one of the many high wing airplanes of proven design.

There are some things you can tweek to improve your plane, but changing the basic design is a big TWANG!

OME

Fair enough blokes. Outvoted I am. As I said I was only toying with the idea. With that said, I'll just pack up my toys and go home.

Only joking, it would be a bit of work to modify and I supose I was looking for someone to say NOOOOO.... dont do it.

I have seen pictures of low, high and biplane Volksplanes, and the original Flybaby was conceptualised as all three, although plans only ever became available for two. So I guess you could say it could be done, but in each of these cases, the designers were aeronautical engineers with extensive experience. The argument about whether it would really be worth doing is something else.....

• Like 1

A highwing strut braced aircraft is quite simple to analyse the loads on but why would you get a perfectly good aeroplane and do that to it? Life is too short to reinvent the wheel. Sell it and do something different without compromising the concept by having to utilise parts of the plane you have, which you devalue by using them as part of your new project. If you want something different start with a clean sheet . Nev

• Like 1

Another philosophical thought from Iggy (seeing as this post doesn't already have enough): Innovation and advance in technology started by making changes, we wouldn't be flying today if people didn't start experimenting with flying craft. To move forward in the future, we need to experiment, think outside the box, find new and better things; without making any steps to change something or do something differently, we can't explore new dimensions.

- Iggy. pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif

Well said that man.

The MAX group of aircraft are like that too, having even a biplane version ( I think). Mid wing is the hardest of all to do especially in smaller simpler designs. That is why they are rarely seen.

It is quite possible that a conversion such as proposed would come against a lot of obstacles ( legal and practical) and never be completed so it could be the end of it.

Conversions like Texas Taildraggers, Tripacers to Pacers are well documented and proven mods. If you are doing the FIRST of anything you are very much on your own.

Arthur, I believe in experimentation and using new ideas and moving the boundaries, etc, and in the end it is the individuals choice.

The question was asked and I have given an answer that may be taken on board. You and I have seen a lot of abandoned projects that end up as scrap I'm sure Nev

The suggested mod is far from impossible, but as it would essentially involve redoing the aircraft design and engineering from scratch to ensure that the result is a safe and flyable aircraft the question needs to be asked: is it worth your time and effort? Given that you've stated you want sun protection and easier access my personal choise would be that its not worth the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just been looking over some of the replies and have come to this conclusion.

To make entering the cockpit easier I will make and install recessed foot wells in the side of the fuselage in front of the wing. This area is all fiberglass and would take little modification to do. The inboard section of the wing will have ribs installed with aluminium sheet covering to enable one to step on this area.

As for sun protection, I will try either dark tinting or a car windscreen shade that is mounted on suction caps.

No structual mods needed and all can breath a sigh of relief that this plane will still fly with its structual integrity intact.

Now, how does one mount the landing gear on the top for inverted landings.................................................................067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif