How to rent an aircraft for a weekend?

shags_j

HI ALl,

Just about to head off and seriously do my nav endo. Just curious, how would you go about renting an aircraft for a trip away? I can understand schools would be reluctant as they need to be concerned about ensuring profitability. But what if I want to fly from say melbourne to warwick on a friday, spend the weekend, then fly back to melbourne on the monday?

Cheers,

Shags

HI ALl,Just about to head off and seriously do my nav endo. Just curious, how would you go about renting an aircraft for a trip away? I can understand schools would be reluctant as they need to be concerned about ensuring profitability. But what if I want to fly from say melbourne to warwick on a friday, spend the weekend, then fly back to melbourne on the monday?

Cheers,

Shags

A lot depends on how regularly you fly, and what the booking level's like. Nothing like asking the operator you fly with.

An average of four hours per day flying time shouldn't present a problem

Many operators are happy to rent over a few days - and as mentioned only charge hours used. However read the fine print as some require minimum hours - for example at least 1 hour average for weekdays and two for weekend days.

My guy does it all the time. You pay 3 hours minimum a day and can take it as long as you want. I've never flown less than that a day anyway.

Also check on how fuel works, if you hire wet but then switch to a dry rate after x hours.

And make sure the operator is prepared for it, and has tie downs and a way to change a tire in there.

Ryan

Hi Shags

Yarra Valley Flight training at Coldstream have a couple of 172's online plus a Cherokee 6-300 if you want something bigger. They operate 2 Warriors and a Tecnam for GA and RA training purposes and have one of the best and most experienced CFI's around (Dick Gower).

You would need to perform a satisfactory check flight unless you do some further training with them beforehand.

It's a really friendly, small airfield with parallel gravel and grass strip and an an active club. Drop in and say "hi". PPR if you are arriving by air and don't forget our 50th celebration on 17 March.

kaz

Hey kaz, you run into Don Watson there yet? He's doing the flight training with MAF there at Coldstream I believe. Fantastic guy! (helicopter engineer at Oakey previously)

On the subject of renting an aircraft, I'm on the books for most schools in SE Qld, so getting an aircraft is pretty easy (the reason I did that is so I had (1, the benefit of flying with different types of CFI's and (2, the added skill of operating a different aircraft. Though some school require currency standards for their aircraft, a circuit or two is usually all that's needed to fix that, with the CFI.

Depending on how well you know the owner/operator as to what they'll give, let you do. If you hire a schools main trainer it's always tricky for them, but in most cases they have a trainer and then the more 'upper class' touring aircraft for those that are suitably checked out on for self use.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed most RAA schools seem to do a more 'comprehensive' check out, than GA schools. (probably something to do with pilot certificate, vs pilot license - dunno). Some GA aircraft I've hired the operator just wants to look at your currency in the similar aircraft and license!

I hired a schools J230 one day and only did a circuit with the CFI and he said I was good to go, did 8hrs in that aircraft that day. You could probably say it was most profitable for him!

I think the lesser checkout for GA id ude to the fact that GA thinks their training and your having a licence mean that you will be competent. I never had problems when i was flying GA, sometimes had to do a circuit with s check pilot. Did have an interesting check in a C182. I decided that I had stuffed up the approach and started a go around, the check pilot decided it was OK and pulled the power. I was surprised that there wern't tyre marks on the underside of the wings. No damage visible and I was given the OK after the check pilot had profusely apologised.

RAAus operators possibly have a lesser opinion of our training, hence the extra care.

It doesn't matter if you have alicence or a certificate. In the US they all fly on a certificate.

Hope the mods dont think this is 'advertising' but given we are outside your territory it should be OK.... We have 4 Jabs (160, 170 and 2 230s) and hire them wet and insured for weekends or longer periods - with some advance notice, so they are not booked out for training. Minimum charge is 3 hours per day. No cancellation fee if weather no good. Details on our website..

Hi Tomo, a bit off topic but how many hours flying have you logged up so far, and have you ever flown a Morgan Sierra?Curious Alan.

G'day Curious Alan. I've only go a bit over 200 hrs last time I looked, so not many at all considering. And yes I have flown a Morgan Sierra, be it only for about 20 minutes though! Love the looong nose, almost like the Pawnee 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif