A few questions from an airline pilot thinking about joining the RA ranks

Hi all,

I'm a current airline pilot thinking about joining the RA ranks and have the following questions.

1. Has anyone done any training or flown at Freeflying / Adventure Flights at Redcliffe, Redcliffe Flight Training or Freeflying Caloundra? If so any comments good or bad about the schools and the aircraft types used?

2. Reading the RA-AUS ops manual because I have prior flying hours I only need 5 hours in RA aircraft or GA aircraft that could be RA registered. So if I was to do 5 hours in a Tecnam on the VH register (both Redcliffe Aeroclub and Redcliffe Flight training have Tecnam's VH registered) what additional training would I need to qualify for the RA pilot certificate?

3. Would all my ATPL privileges ie pax carrying, cross country etc automatically carry over to the RA pilot certificate?

4. I hold an expired Grade 2 instructor rating, with around 800 hours as an instructor mostly in C152's and PA38's. I've also held CASA check and training approval on turboprops and currently a training captain on jets. What training would be required to gain an RA Instructor rating?

5. Any recommendations for other schools on the north side of Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast?

Thanks in advance

GAFA

2. None really... I understand there is a lot of discretion for the CFI (RAA) for a person with experience. If they are of the opinion that you meet the standard and sign you off... then you are signed off.

3. See above, however some specific endorsements will need to be represented by actual RAA training: Low Performance and Low Level for example.

Don't know RE 1, 4 and 5.

Ex GA, did my 5 hours in a Gazelle. The only endorsement I had to achieve was the low performance. All my other endorsments were carried straight over, including Pax, CSU, Retract, Low Level (Ex Ag 1), Tail Wheel, Nose Wheel, Cross Country, Radio and because I had my CPL, was not required to do the Human Factors section.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

The guys at Go Fly Aviation, Caboolture, and now Caloundra are tops. Got a choice of Tecnam P92, Texan's (one with variable pitch prop) and a CT - also a Savannah. (www.goflyaviation.com.au)

I think you may need to do the 5 hours in an RAA registered aircraft, not VH rego... as silly as it sounds if it's the same aircraft!

If you haven't flown light aircraft for a while, you may take a few hours to get the hang of it, but you'll enjoy every minute. I took a Airline captain for a fly in a J3 Cub on Saturday, and showed him around the Savannah's. He loved it.

See you around sometime.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Tomo,

Section 2.07 Para 2 C states;

if holding a current PPL or higher licence, have completed such dual training in a low performance recreational aircraft as is deemed necessary by a CFI and, in any case shall have not less than 5 hours flying experience in a low performance recreational aircraft which shall include a minimum of one hour solo.

And the note at the end states;

Note: For the purpose of para c. above, experience in GA aircraft may be counted towards the 5 hours (up to the full amount), provided the experience was gained in a recreational aircraft type which may be registered on either the RA-Aus or the VH register, e.g. Jabiru, Gazelle, Skyfox, Lightwing as recognised by the RA-Aus Operations Manager or their delegate.

So how I read it is GA aircraft time ie VH registered does count for the full 5 hours if that type can be registered either VH or RA-Aus. So if I was to go and fly the VH registered P92 at Redcliffe Flight Training or the VH registered P2008 at the Aeroclub that time would count torwards the 5 hours as those type can be RA or VH registered.

Cheers

GAFA

Thanks GAFA, I obviously didn't do my research very good!! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Just going from memory that's what I originally thought, but if what you say is correct that sounds like a pretty good thing!

Thanks for the replies so far.Tomo,

Section 2.07 Para 2 C states;

if holding a current PPL or higher licence, have completed such dual training in a low performance recreational aircraft as is deemed necessary by a CFI and, in any case shall have not less than 5 hours flying experience in a low performance recreational aircraft which shall include a minimum of one hour solo.

And the note at the end states;

Note: For the purpose of para c. above, experience in GA aircraft may be counted towards the 5 hours (up to the full amount), provided the experience was gained in a recreational aircraft type which may be registered on either the RA-Aus or the VH register, e.g. Jabiru, Gazelle, Skyfox, Lightwing as recognised by the RA-Aus Operations Manager or their delegate.

So how I read it is GA aircraft time ie VH registered does count for the full 5 hours if that type can be registered either VH or RA-Aus. So if I was to go and fly the VH registered P92 at Redcliffe Flight Training or the VH registered P2008 at the Aeroclub that time would count torwards the 5 hours as those type can be RA or VH registered.

Cheers

GAFA

And check out the costs of flying in the RA register plane and the VH register plane. It is not unusual to find the identical plane on the RA register is cheaper to hire.

A sydney fling school charges

PRICE LIST – EFFECTIVE 1st November 2011(GST to be added except 150 hr CPL or Instructor rating)

Aircraft SOLO ($) DUAL ($)

Jabiru J-160 -VH-XXX 170 210

Jabiru RAA 24-9999 and 0000 150 190

At The Oaks the RA register Jab LSA rate is $155 dual and $115 solo

If you are going to fly RA, you will need to join Ra-Aus anyway and you may as well do your training in an RA register plane. You will be doing the CFI a favour and you will save yourself some money.

Col

I have tried three times to post a comment on this subject and been sent back to the orinignal forum page. and if this is a sign of more difficult [involved software] then I will become a reader only - I spent 30 mins for nothing - maybe my comment [3oyrs as a CPL was not relevant]. This post appears to work so I assume that the problem was a teck not a content problem

Frank M

I have tried three times to post a comment on this subject and been sent back to the orinignal forum page. and if this is a sign of more difficult [involved software] then I will become a reader only - I spent 30 mins for nothing - maybe my comment [3oyrs as a CPL was not relevant]. This post appears to work so I assume that the problem was a teck not a content problemFrank M

All your other posts are relevant - your opinion is valued.

Col

• Like 1

Once again thanks for all the info.

Regading cost's the research I've done on the Flying Schools at Redcliffe, Caboolture and Caloundra there has been little difference between GA and RA. For example;

Redcliffe Aero Club (GA)

Tecnam P2008 Dual $250 Private $150

Freeflying Redcliffe (RAA)

Sportstar Dual $225 Private $162

Redcliffe Flight Training (RAA and GA)

Tecnam P92 Dual $253 Private $154

Freeflying Caloundra (RAA)

Texan Dual $210 Private $150

GoFly Caboolture (RAA)

Texan Dual $228 Private $158

P92 Dual $218 Private $148

CTSW Dual $228 Private $158

FDMC Dual 228 Private $158

So in general the private hire rate of the GA registered glass cockpit P2008 at the Redcliffe Aeroclub is the cheapest in the area.

However I do like the look of the Sportstar and the Texan and wouldn't mind having a go flying them.

Does anyone else operator the Sportstar in SE Qld?

Thanks Wayne,

Just found a school at Gympie who operates the Sportstars and their rates are cheaper than Redcliffe.

Any comments from pilots who have flown the Sportstar or Texan on what they think it them? I see the Texan has a brake lever rather than toe brakes, does it take long to get used to it after flying aircraft fitted with toe brakes?

GAFA

there are 3 flying schools at Gympie and ! ................ you are n't wasting time waiting for a flock of aeroplanes to land ................... so generally downtime is minimal

Sealed runway and flushing toilets to !

• Like 1

I must say I'm impressed with the amount of manuals ie POH's available on the net, either via manufactures web sites or flying schools in the USA. I now have an iPad full of LSA manuals.

Over the last week I've sent out some emails to schools asking similar questions to the above. From the replies I've received some schools really need to work a lot harder if they want to get more people through the door at their schools. When I was a junior instructor at BK, I would go out of may way to answer and help anyone who walked through the door and was considering learning to fly. Some of the replies were one liners saying all the information as on their web site or see the RA-Aus web site, to me that doesn't show a flying school that looks after it's students.

However I did get some good replies, with the best coming from a school in Gympie. The reply is that good I will drive the 2 hours and check it out.

Once again thanks for all the replies. If anyone has a any tips/ advice on flying the Sportstar or the Texan please pass them on.

Cheers

GAFA

From the replies I've received some schools really need to work a lot harder if they want to get more people through the door at their schools. When I was a junior instructor at BK, I would go out of may way to answer and help anyone who walked through the door and was considering learning to fly. Some of the replies were one liners saying all the information as on their web site or see the RA-Aus web site, to me that doesn't show a flying school that looks after it's students.

Sadly, customer service is something that is too often lacking in the aviation industry. When I walk into, telephone or email a school, I want to see professionalism, passion for flying and a genuine interest in meeting my needs to convince me that I should hand over a lot of money.....

yeah, I get that alot - the one-liner replies, or worse yet the quick answer that clearly demonstrates they did not read the entire question. Or asking several questions and getting back a one liner that could apply to any or all of them, but again not answering them all. That kind of response tells me they don't want to "get into it" or put in the effort.

Then again, not everyone's preferred medium is email - easy for me to forget since I sit in front of a computer all day, and perhaps the responses would have been better had I phoned. Can't always do that though, might be frowned upon at work to sit on the phone chatting with the FI :)

For the amount of money we are spending (never mind GA!), we should expect better. Hrmm... maybe an article in the works for Sport Pilot?

There are some nice aircraft at Gympie... Probably worth the drive. I have flown the Texan... very, very nice handling machine.

I reckon bang for your buck if you are able start on a Drifter?

Are those prices fair dinks?..If so, Im moving my school to QLD. I had a guy on the phone making some enquiries yesterday, and practically insulted me when I told him

the Piper sports is $200/ hour dual.

GAFA im not sure if anyones answered your question re the instructor rating. But yes, your rating would carry over. But you would need to do 25 hours in an RAA aircraft OR an RAA type that can be registerd GA.

So if you have time in a type already (that can be rego'd RAA) then your laughing. Obviously some familiarisation time would be in order if its been a while.

Cheers and good luck

Yep prices are correct. If you look further out such as Gympie dual prices are around the $200 mark.

Thanks for answering the instructor rating question, that's my aim for later this year. Perhaps you could set up a satellite operation to your school in SE QLD and I could be one of your instructors :-)

There always seems to be a reluctance to advertise what a school charges - I guess thats business

Case in point m.merv had an opporunity to state what his schooll charges ............. but instead lifted his eyebrow at what Gympie charged (no offence m.merv)

Mmerv is probably surrounded by 2 million rich mexicans so his hourly rate can be lower

In Gympie you can't make much money out of spuds

If I ran a school I'd state the hourly rate any opportunity I could get ................... it always suprises me that hourly rates aren't discussed more often

JM