About summer flying

Guest Fred

Greetings all

My name is Fred and I fly PPCs,I own a Aerochute and live out in the Budaberg area of Queensland

where it is not as popular as down victoria.But I am hoping that will change soon.I fly regulary,each

week while the weather is still good for flying.I only just got my pilot certificate 6 weeks ago and would like to know from other pilots (any) of their experiences of summer flying and its tricky conditions if any as opposed to winter flying.Cheers.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

I dislike flying when it is hot and bumpy or in gusty winds. When I was a younger man I had no problems. I remember flying the Tobago (YTB) into Parafield on a 35 degree day with a NE wind gusting to 35 knots, but these days, no bloody way. The Jabiru is too light and once the temperature gets over 30C you'll find me at the bar rather than in the air because the little Jabiru gets tossed about too much. My plane (and my arse) are too valuable to take any risks so I'll leave the bravado to the younger folks. In Spring, after work when the wind and temperature drop, the flying can be so smooth you can fly all the way down final to touch down without spilling a single drop of beer.....

• Like 1

I dislike flying when it is hot and bumpy or in gusty winds. When I was a younger man I had no problems. I remember flying the Tobago (YTB) into Parafield on a 35 degree day with a NE wind gusting to 35 knots, but these days, no bloody way. The Jabiru is too light and once the temperature gets over 30C you'll find me at the bar rather than in the air because the little Jabiru gets tossed about too much. My plane (and my ****) are too valuable to take any risks so I'll leave the bravado to the younger folks. In Spring, after work when the wind and temperature drop, the flying can be so smooth you can fly all the way down final to touch down without spilling a single drop of beer.....

I think the string pulling on my Aerochute PPC wont be too much fun in the heat up here in Camel country,by the sounds of your experience in the Jaibiru.Thanks for the handy imfo

fellas.:rotary:

Well I guess you could call Jabs Aerochutes.

Victoria has more calm days in the Summer, but I would have thought Queensland winter mornings with that steady clear sky day after day after day would be more predictable Fred.

They may be popular down here but there's a lot of talk about lines winding around the props, so I suspect a lot of guys fly in slightly gusty conditions.

One guy flies over our place and the days he flies on are clear and still - the days you wish you didn't have a job to do and could get up there with him.

Yes you are right about the predictable calm mornings up here in Queensland,I have had some pearlers of great weather I have flown in the last 4weeks.Its the summer we get up

here is the big question,as I have never flown in the summer.I was lucky enough to get some good weather down there in Werribbee Vic a couple of months ago upon doing my

training there,got gusty around 10.00 am when setting up the lines and chute and it was not much fun at all.I just got a bit greedy and wanted to do some extra flying after 10.00 am

even though we pack up and finish for the day at that time,as you know best weather is at first light.Anyone wanting to take up this fun sport I highly recommend it.Its as safe as,and

the Aerochutes are made down there in Victoria and CASA approved.

Its as safe as,

G`Day Fred and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif. I`ve been told someone flies an Aerochute around Innisfail. The closest I`ve been to anything with a parachute, was years ago!

Two guys turned up at my place wanting to use my strip to test the Paramotor they had designed and built. For those who don`t know, a Paramotor is an engine straped to the back of the pilot and it has a parachute attached to it .

The pilot started the engine, opened the throtle, but before he could even take a step forward, the mesh they had put around the propeller to protect it, got sucked into it and destroyed it! 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Ultimately, any aircraft is only as safe as the pilot chooses to make it.

Frank

Howdy Farri

Oh Jesus,hope nobody was hurt,only pride and egos that would have been a certainty, not to mention a possible stained pair of undies.But anyway on a lighter note yes there are a few up Aerochutes up there in Nth Qld,a

tad far from me,but beutifull countryside lots of farmers use them for mustering cattle .Was the paramotor a factory design or was it a backyard built? must have been the latter.they are safe if properly trained of course.Got a lot of those down Rainbow beach,3 hrs south

from me. Not my way of taking off, only my opinion everyone to their own, I like the aerial lounge room couch design of the aerochutes,and the simplicity of flying them.009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Where are you flying the PPC....the glider field out on the Isis highway?

I use the Biggenden Airfield for my fly ins and fly outs,no flying over houses to worry about.Airstrip is always looked after well by the council.And you get a free open armchair wind in

the face view of the mountains.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Your getting soft Herm. Toughen up princess. LMAO

Ouch! I've always been soft... And nasty too.. I will be at the airfield in the morning and I might kick your Tires LOL

I don't even like lumps in my custard or mash potato's

Ouch! I've always been soft... And nasty too.. I will be at the airfield in the morning and I might kick your Tires LOLI don't even like lumps in my custard or mash potato's

Oooh,Ill be waiting for yu,after ive had my ball bearing and razor blades with my scrambled eggs.095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Summer we fly soon as it is dawn, or late afternoon into the early evening...God bless Daylight Savings!! 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif-Linda

God didnt bless us up here with daylight savings in the bible belt country of Queensland,but he compensated us with more sunshine.I like the thought of the early evening and warm summer sunset flight

on the my flying couch,will make for a good video.Cheers again.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

God didnt bless us up here with daylight savings in the bible belt country of Queensland

Fred,

Queensland really needs to get with the program! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

We travel regularly to Bundy, my family lives there and we get enough stick about DS when we come up...dark at 5.30pm there is a bit hard to take when it is at least 9pm here and we could still be flying!

-Linda

• Like 1

Fred,Queensland really needs to get with the program! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

We travel regularly to Bundy, my family lives there and we get enough stick about DS when we come up...dark at 5.30pm there is a bit hard to take when it is at least 9pm here and we could still be flying!

-Linda

Linda,totally agree with you as a former Melbournian 13 years ago,but you get used to it like anything in life we just plod along.The farmers think that the changing of the hours

unsettles their cattle for milk production.Anyway who cares life is beut when your up in the air.Cheers.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

I agree with Fred and Linda.Daylight savings would help especially as it gets hot up here.Starting a hour earlier and finishing a hour earlier, would be of great benefit. Just to explain to some people, just as well it is a very small amount of people, that the curtains do not fade because we all of a sudden have a extra hour of daylight.blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Linda,totally agree with you as a former Melbournian 13 years ago,but you get used to it like anything in life we just plod along.The farmers think that the changing of the hoursunsettles their cattle for milk production.Anyway who cares life is beut when your up in the air.Cheers.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

I once heard an old lady say on the radio (in Sydney): "I'm against daylight saving because the extra hour of daylight makes my curtains fade faster".

I once heard an old lady say on the radio (in Sydney): "I'm against daylight saving because the extra hour of daylight makes my curtains fade faster".

I guess when one has been around long enough,and has thought one has heard it all,a better one always comes out.The old ladies comment will sure take some beating.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

so on these hot days we're talking about do you find its bumpy all the way up to the ceiling? Or closer to the ground, say 1000 feet? Forgive me if its a dumb question, still early days for me...

Went out this past Saturday (Bankstown) and that level of gust and x-wind was past my comfort level at the moment... wouldn't want to do that every time, but its good to have experienced it. Even if I did chew holes in my seat cushion...