Silence no more !!

I have been absent the past few months, as this forum had become so purely addictive, I found I lacked the time to finish my project van. Every spare second was spent scouring over the many pages of interesting conversations contained on this site!

Alas the project now be complete and driving on the road after a very big, embarrassingly expensive rebuild project (has a good 300km of road use now after I finished a few weeks ago). so I am finally back on to get my much needed forum fix!!!!!

How is everyone?

• Like 7

Guest Maj Millard

Well done Louis, both lovely machines...you should be proud !.and welcome back mate, we need your energy 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.....that Auster is cool as......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

It is start, at least my toys are running for now. You know how it is with british engineering combined with lucas electrics, you just never know what exciting troubleshooting experience lies around the corner!

All up though the Commer is performing very well, I converted the engine over to take a single HIF6 SU carby, getting 90km per hour @ about 3200 RPM for a 10litre per 100km burn, before the rebuild I was using about 1litre of oil, 2 litres of water and 30 litres of petrol per 100km and barely making 75-80 km an hour!

Now all I need is free time to pursue the many camping adventures that await!

All you need now is a trailer for the Auster and folding wing kit ... LOL

Actually david I have considered trying to get something to tow around behind the might van, somehow I think it would have to be a trike though!

Not really much to do with aircraft but .........

This is the van not long after I bought it on our first camping trip

The professional painting both I secured to paint it in!!!!

This is a very common sight with a commer!!!

More non aircraft shots!

This is my SU conversion

I bought this nifty little EG analyser to tune the carby spot on, the duck tape around it was my own calibrations for it!

This was an in-field repair for a crack in the head at the thermostat adapter plate, completed with copious amounts of JB weld, epoxy glue and loads of radiator stop leak, drove over 1500km like this to get it up here before dismantling it and having it welded!

• Like 1

Looks like one of those genuine brick ....houses there in Pic #2 Louis !

I particularily like the colour co-ordinated camouflage covers on the other three projects in the background of Pic #2. If this clever ruse helps to keep the prying eye of the shire ranger at bay then I should follow suit with the 'tragedies' in my backyard. Love the Commer. Bought one in England in the early seventies with the intention of doing it up as a camper. It had a two-week-old Warrant of Fitness and the chassis broke in half traversing a railway level crossing on my way to work a fortnight later. Bloody amazing that that that much rust could form in just four weeks (or perhaps I was a trifle slack/stupid in my pre-purchase inspection?) Well done with the camper!

I particularily like the colour co-ordinated camouflage covers on the other three projects in the background of Pic #2. If this clever ruse helps to keep the prying eye of the shire ranger at bay then I should follow suit with the 'tragedies' in my backyard.

That is where I found the old van, I have one of those all over, fully waterproof covers for it too! I bought it of an indian gentleman who bought a old dinkie toy commer van, loved it at ended up with four or six of them in his yard! I bought the only viable one out of all of them!!!

All the other cars there where mercs, he was a true sucker for punishment I would say!!!

That is where I found the old van, I have one of those all over, fully waterproof covers for it too! I bought it of an indian gentleman who bought a old dinkie toy commer van, loved it at ended up with four or six of them in his yard! I bought the only viable one out of all of them!!!All the other cars there where mercs, he was a true sucker for punishment I would say!!!

Us 'gentlemen' ain't suckers - we just have vivid imaginations offset with minimal comprehension of personal capabilities.

Guest Bigfella

Wow Louis, brings back childhood memories from 35 years ago as a kid traveling around the north of England and Scotland in an Commer van!

A young family of 5, can't believe we survived 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Love the respray!

Cheers,

Bigfella

He is not a gentleman... However, I will admit he has discerning tastes but only because his next project is my Landrover Series 3.

I grew up in Landrovers....passed an early SWB on the highway recently - actually it passed me which was a mighty shock because I seem to recall that the last time I tried one of those, highway speeds were just a dream!

I grew up in Landrovers....passed an early SWB on the highway recently - actually it passed me which was a mighty shock because I seem to recall that the last time I tried one of those, highway speeds were just a dream!

They were okay up to 80 km/h (or 50 mph on the Landrover's speedo); after this they felt decidedly unsafe and you needed a very good grip on the wheel with both hands. blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

That was what astounded me....I was doing 110km/h in a Subaru Forester, and remembered just how much of a dog they were at speed! That said, a brilliant bush vehicle. Had a series 3 V8 as well, now that was a thirsty beast. Had a habit of snapping rear axles too.

My father loves old cars as much as me, I learnt to drive on a Series 3 Landy ute & old willies jeep myself. Then I upgraded to (or downgraded maybe) to Series 2 X-Armies both SWB and LWB version, drove one off a cliff once but thats a different story......

I'm not big into 4WD myself though so after I was ready to drive myself around I bought a Peugeot 403 Station wagon (Which was fire engine red and AWESOME!) then a few Peugeot 404's which I progressively destroyed! Finally got a nice old 203, then went to a triumph spitfire! All in all I am yet to own something reliable, here are some snaps of the cars I had taken a pic of, dragged these out of the archives!!!!

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Some classics there for sure Louis. I don't mind the look of the long-haired cowboy-booted model in the first photo either. Doesn't look like she needs any restoration work yet !!..........................012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif