Is 55 to Old to learn to Fly

aries

Good on you David, at last you have made it. No you are not to old to fly. I left it till I was 71. I soloed at 13 hrs, thenat 28hrs I past the test for my certificate. I am just enjoying it so much.

• Like 1

I just BFR'd a guy who is just on the grey side of 80! Seems to me you have lots of time. Remember though things take longer to learn, and life habits hard to break or modify, as you get older so be committed yet patient and be prepared to work at it.

All good things start with a dream....

• Like 2

Got my boyhood lifetime dream at 69.

Built a plane, sold, then factory built Jab, now nearly 600 hours. After 7 years of unbelievable Satisfaction, touring,club involvement , mates with a passion for flying, I hope to get past my next few bfr's and continue the journey

Probably takes a bit longer than a 16 year old to learn but I am the proof that it can be achieved .

As an aside, I would be very particular that one gets an instructor that you feel related to. I say this because the first guy nearly made me give it away.

• Like 3

Heard of some older men pretending to be teenagers on the internet for deviant reasons, could this be a kid pretending to be an old guy in order to flog his goods?

Could be ,GN

Forums are for you to work out

. The written words is what I see

Planey,

Thanks for your kind words

I do hope you have many years of pleasure

Regards

Good on you David, at last you have made it. No you are not to old to fly. I left it till I was 71. I soloed at 13 hrs, thenat 28hrs I past the test for my certificate. I am just enjoying it so much.

Got my boyhood lifetime dream at 69.Built a plane, sold, then factory built Jab, now nearly 600 hours. After 7 years of unbelievable Satisfaction, touring,club involvement , mates with a passion for flying, I hope to get past my next few bfr's and continue the journey

Probably takes a bit longer than a 16 year old to learn but I am the proof that it can be achieved .

As an aside, I would be very particular that one gets an instructor that you feel related to. I say this because the first guy nearly made me give it away.

I just BFR'd a guy who is just on the grey side of 80! Seems to me you have lots of time. Remember though things take longer to learn, and life habits hard to break or modify, as you get older so be committed yet patient and be prepared to work at it.All good things start with a dream....

055_ha_ha.gif.ab4c01c0c86f3c68b39f2590d051c8ca.gif055_ha_ha.gif.6222375342b6726173d80c7fce1b3aa0.gifThese stories are truly inspirational! Go for it Aries!! At 55 you can do it!!!

I wonder what the average age of pilots is. My guess is that if you took out the proffessionals, the average age would be 55 to 60. Maybe someone who knows how could get a questionaire about age going.

I wonder what the average age of pilots is. My guess is that if you took out the proffessionals, the average age would be 55 to 60. Maybe someone who knows how could get a questionaire about age going.

I wonder if the information is available from the last census .

We all know it is pretty old ( the average age). Getting back to the original question, ( are you too old at 55). The only factor I can think of which may be relevant is being able to afford it. Despite U/L's bing much cheaper than a lot of other forms of aviation there is still a considerable cost and you do have to be able to fly well to handle an ultralight in gusty conditions, so don't skimp on the training. Do emergency manoeuver training too. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks Yenn. At the flying school where i fly their are people of all ages,from 17 to 82 that are training, have not soloed yet,but getting close. The average age could well be up in the 60 plus. Maybe this could be one for Ian to have ago at???

• 2 weeks later...