unbelievable..what a place for a road!

Surely the pilot would have seen the car in his peripheral vision. Power up and climb a couple of feet would have saved the aircraft and the car. Bloody SUV drivers. He should have looked for the plane as well. Both to blame? Hope we see the official outcome.

It's amazing this was actually captured on video!

BTW: Did anyone actually count how many times the same clip was played in this newsclip?

(It would have to be close to a record for all the news I have seen with the exceptions of another plane-related incident: the 9/11 Twin Towers event)

The pilot was clearly low, the runway has a displaced threshold 130m from the road !

Apparently there are no stop signs, only the word STOP painted on the (private) road.

Technically, it should not be necessary for the car to stop, though it's obviously sensible.

• Like 1

Wonder why there was only the left wheel spat on the aircraft? Seems a bit odd.... Flapless landing which is why he's so low and flat I would imagine...

Coming into Toowoomba you have to fly right over a street to land, I've always wondered what would happen if a high load was going past at the same time you were coming in a bit low over the fence - something like this no doubt!

And it would have been short of the tarmac, never mind the displaced threshold !

I also heard from someone in the Dallas area that this is the fourth accident at that airfield in two months !

Guest czechmate
Wonder why there was only the left wheel spat on the aircraft? Seems a bit odd....

Actually it is there if you look carefully on full screen (lost in the shadow) You can see it fly off on impact. Good training video regardless of how unfortunate for all concerned & it was even better no injuries of any consequence

Bloody Volvo Drivers.LOL If the SUV wasnt there, the plane would not have hit anything. He cleared the fence by a few feet. He would have landed short but the cessna wouldnt have hit anything, apart from dirt before the runway.

What I find curious is that if as reported it was the pilots first solo, what the hell was he doing landing flapless in a C172?????

What you cant tell from the video is whether he powered up at the time of the impact with the SUV or was it the impact that arrested his descent rate?

Love the Volvo comment Dazz ... LOL

Looks as though he was practicing a flaples and (as you do) try to not waste any runway. he had to lift it over the fence slightly and having done that probably though he was right. I don't think he was stalled. If you look at the elevator position, but it was certainly a low approach and he would have just reached the beginning of the runway, if he held it off. That may have been his intention. He didn't fly like it was his first solo and ( as stated) why would he do a flapless and ( in a way ) do it so well. IF the SUV wasn't there it would have been a good flapless approach for a short strip. I don't think you could blame anybody there except the builder of the runway and Murphy's law. Nev

• Like 1

Regardless of the type of approach, he should have been aiming for the threshold which is 130m from the impact point.

He'd have needed a good dose of power to hold off for another 130m before touching down.

He can't argue that he needed the runway either, there's 930m after the displaced threshold !

The other question raised is, if this was his first solo, what was his instructor doing at the time?

• Like 1

Looks as though he was practicing a flaples and (as you do) try to not waste any runway. he had to lift it over the fence slightly and having done that probably though he was right. I don't think he was stalled. If you look at the elevator position, but it was certainly a low approach and he would have just reached the beginning of the runway, if he held it off. That may have been his intention. He didn't fly like it was his first solo and ( as stated) why would he do a flapless and ( in a way ) do it so well. IF the SUV wasn't there it would have been a good flapless approach for a short strip. I don't think you could blame anybody there except the builder of the runway and Murphy's law. Nev

quote"Pilot William Davis was completing his first solo flight, and his wife happened to be filming his landing when she captured the collision. For his part, Davis says he'll never fly a plane again, after this near miss."

quote"Pilot William Davis was completing his first solo flight, and his wife happened to be filming his landing when she captured the collision. For his part, Davis says he'll never fly a plane again, after this near miss."

I missed the near miss.... looked like a hit to me..