Looking for a good headset - any suggestions?

seb7701

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy a new headset and whilst I was happily going to snap up a Rec Flying headset or basic DC's as a starter, I started looking at the ANR stuff and compatibility with cell phones etc.

So from DC H10-13.4's I stumbled across Pilot Avionics PA18-50's.

Has anyone had experience with these or have any other suggestions?

Oh, and no, I can't afford a set of Bose....

I have a Pilot PNR 4000 as my visitors set and some DC 13.4s as my main set. All in all the sound is fine, but the mike picks up a lot of background noise. You can still adjust it out with the squelch on the intercom so its not a big thing, I upgraded the ear pads with a set of DC replacement gel cups from skylite and all in all about 90% of the quality of the DC for 45% the price

.....rule number 1 is usually true....you get what you pay for

And that is exactly right.

We have Bose. And flying from Victoria to Bundaberg a few times a year, it was worth the investment.

-Linda

• Like 1

Hi Gareth - which set are you referring to - the PA's?

Didn't see the PNR4000's, but might be able to go a little dearer. As for the Zulus...I was going to mention them with the Bose!!

I have the lightspeed Sierra headsets and am very happy with them. Has blutooth and tha ability to input music via a cable. The phone function works via Bluetooth. Lots cheaper than the Zulu, but the sound quality is much the same. I have used both and the Zulu are a little better but cost more. I found the sierra's were great value for the money and would purchase them again if I needed another pilot headset.

Mardy

Hey Seb

I have a pair of pilot pa18-50's as a anr upgrade from my first headset, an altronics. The anr is a nice noticable improvement over the pnr, however not in the same league as a lightspeed zulu or bose. Mind you, I only paid $300 so the price tag was not in the same league either.

I like the comfort and battery life has been ok, love the foam ear seals (don't get as sweaty as the gel ones I've previously had). Sometimes forget to turn on the anr, and the passive reduction is still reasonable.

Don't love the non-ratchet mike boom, nor the volume controls on the cables (I prefer the volume on the ear cups, but seldom need to adjust anyway). Overall they are an affordable ANR headset which offers pretty good value for money. If you can, best to try a pair on and see which set fits best. I see there is a new model pilot avionics ANR headset also. I've never used the cell phone interface either, so I don't know if that works ok or not. The others you mentioned would be good first headsets too, down the track you can spoil yourself with a better pair and pass your first set to your pax.

Thanks for the details Nev. Interesting re the foam ear seals, as I assumed gel was the go. Looking at the specs, I think it's an extra $100 for Iphone compatibility, but aside from that, would you take the PA18's over some good 'ol DC H10-13.4's? (I'm assuming everyone has tried them at one time or another)

Not really sure how important the ANR aspect really is for periodic use, but those two seem to be the option at $395 each.

Rugged Air RA-900. After using the field Air/Sigtronic headsets and some high level David Clarke's I ordered some RA-900's sight unseen from a supplier in the states.

They're comfortable for over 2 hours flying, well made and have a few bells and whistles like full-flex boom, stereo/mono switch, independent audio adjustment,, PTT on the left earpiece and a 3.5mm jack-in for inflight music. I regularly use my phone to give me radio/music inflight and, even at max music volume (easy to listen to while cruising in a Gazelle or C150) on the phone, the radio calls from other planes are easily heard over the top. Love it.

Big selling point for me was the price of about AU$190 shipped. For the comfort, noise protection and usability on offer its hard to go wrong with them and I recommend them to anyone looking for a first headset or perhaps one with a few more bells and whistles.

Heres the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rugged-Air-RA900-Aviation-Pilot-Headset-Aircraft-NEW-/230404123790?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item35a527ec8e

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Now cheaper at around AU$165 shipped due to our dollar.

Whatever you do, try a pair on before you buy. I went for a big brand expensive pair of ANR headphones, and I hate them. But it's too late now. I went based on their reputation and specifications, not putting them on my head. I made a rookie mistake. Fly in's are great places to try them on from vendors or other pilots, who are often more than happy to talk about their gear.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, try a pair on before you buy. I went for a big brand expensive pair of ANR headphones, and I hate them. But it's too late now. I went based on their reputation and specifications, not putting them on my head. I made a rookie mistake. Fly in's are great places to try them on from vendors or other pilots, who are often more than happy to talk about their gear.

Well said Ryan & thanks for sharing.

It is amazing how one person will put on a headset & find it uncomfortable (after adjusting it to suit them) and another person will find it comfortable.I own a David Clarke headset.I have had it for about 15 years.I did get to try out a lightspeed zulu headset for a few hours.They came with the eaglette that I used to hire.They are very comfortable .I have put on others & they where not comfortable at all.Even after I adjusted them to suit my head.

Guest Howard Hughes
Oh, and no, I can't afford a set of Bose....

I bought my first headset (DC H10-40) in 1986, before headsets became common place in GA aircraft, I still have the same headset and and apart from replacing a few earseals, it still works fine. I now use a Bose X (because my employer supplies them) and have a Bose A20 sitting on my desk waiting for its first flight.

I would not only recommend trying the headset on, but flying with them if possible. Headsets can become uncomfortable when worn for long periods, I have fairly large ears and find the Bose X ANR equipment pushes against my ear and becomes quite painful on a long flight. I'm hoping this will be alleviated with the A20 as the ear seals are much thicker and hold the headset futher away from your ear. Having said that Bose would be my choice if buying another headset!!

If you are purchasing ANR please ensure it works in the aircraft you intend to fly, I have heard many horror stories of people buying ANR headsets and then the headset not being compatible with their aircraft, you want to have plenty of PNR in a Beaver for example.

If you are still unsure, you might want to try contacting the local suppliers, they may be able to loan you a headset to try!

Rugged Air RA-900. After using the field Air/Sigtronic headsets and some high level David Clarke's I ordered some RA-900's sight unseen from a supplier in the states.They're comfortable for over 2 hours flying, well made and have a few bells and whistles like full-flex boom, stereo/mono switch, independent audio adjustment,, PTT on the left earpiece and a 3.5mm jack-in for inflight music. I regularly use my phone to give me radio/music inflight and, even at max music volume (easy to listen to while cruising in a Gazelle or C150) on the phone, the radio calls from other planes are easily heard over the top. Love it.

Big selling point for me was the price of about AU$190 shipped. For the comfort, noise protection and usability on offer its hard to go wrong with them and I recommend them to anyone looking for a first headset or perhaps one with a few more bells and whistles.

Heres the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rugged-Air-RA900-Aviation-Pilot-Headset-Aircraft-NEW-/230404123790?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item35a527ec8e

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Now cheaper at around AU$165 shipped due to our dollar.

Seb, note that these are NOT ANR as you asked for...so if you want to compare these passive headsets to the Rec Flying headsets, just ask around.

One thing also is be careful with headsets that provide inputs for phones etc as they may work for one phone and if you change your phone they may not work any more...case in point is the PA headsets that use to work with one Iphone but not the next model.

One FREE way to use your mobile phone in a headset is to use the earpiece cord you get with a mobile phone. Insert the earpiece into your ear and just sit the mic into one of the headset cups. You hear the other person through the earpiece and the mic picks up your voice in your headset...and its free and works with every mobile phone

I have 2 sets of DC 10-13.4 which everyone agrees is a good comfortable set

Installed ANR kit and results are great. http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html

An article on the site reviews them better than some high $$ ones,

Get the combined AMP cable, any electronics guy can do the conversion easily

Second set came off ebay with it already fitted - near new

All good valid points and, no, the RA-900 isn't ANR. Then again, I haven't had a problem on it in either Rotax 912 or Continental powered aircraft.As far as fit is concerned I have a somewhat large, tall head with ears on the larger size. The RA seems to suit this fine with generous adjustment and good earpiece sizing.

On the compatibility of the headset with music, all it uses is a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead so anything you can listen to with headphones is compatible. I've used several types of phones and even an ageing (2005 vintage?) iPod with a black-and-white LCD screen. All worked fine, some slightly louder than others. Worst was my very cheap Huawei smartphone (RIP) which was somewhat quiet, although still audible, and didn't get great reception for radio.

For mobiles while flying... I'm up there to escape. If you want to call me then leave a message and I'll get back to you. I'd also rather not have the added distraction of a mobile whilst flying - can you imagine having the ringtone go off while on final or, worse yet, a forced go-around?

If you're close enough seb7701, I'd be more than willing to fly/ride over and show you the headset. I really do think they're a good bit of kit, especially for the money.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way! 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

Cheers - boingk

I have Zulu 2 for pilot and pax. Fantastic headsets inc Bluetooth built in. Really light on your head But expensive.....rule number 1 is usually true....you get what you pay for

I use the Sierra for myself and my wife and love them.

I find my Zulu 2 super comfortable...infact hardly even know they are on to be honest. My trusty old DC still works well has the gell earpads but after a couple of hours they start to get heavy also the DNR in the Zulu really do take out the hum the DC don't. My Sav is a bit louder inside than most as I don't have carpet in the front or rear.

For mobiles while flying... I'm up there to escape. If you want to call me then leave a message and I'll get back to you. I'd also rather not have the added distraction of a mobile whilst flying - can you imagine having the ringtone go off while on final or, worse yet, a forced go-around?

I find having the phone connected handy, for example I had 40kts headwind on my way to Monto recently and had to call the missus to amend my flight note en-route. BTW with the Zulu bluetooth people couldn't hear any background noise and said it was crystal clear audio.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

All good valid points and, no, the RA-900 isn't ANR. Then again, I haven't had a problem on it in either Rotax 912 or Continental powered aircraft.As far as fit is concerned I have a somewhat large, tall head with ears on the larger size. The RA seems to suit this fine with generous adjustment and good earpiece sizing.On the compatibility of the headset with music, all it uses is a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead so anything you can listen to with headphones is compatible. I've used several types of phones and even an ageing (2005 vintage?) iPod with a black-and-white LCD screen. All worked fine, some slightly louder than others. Worst was my very cheap Huawei smartphone (RIP) which was somewhat quiet, although still audible, and didn't get great reception for radio.

If you're close enough seb7701, I'd be more than willing to fly/ride over and show you the headset. I really do think they're a good bit of kit, especially for the money.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way! 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

Cheers - boingk

Not sure if you are aware Boingk but you can't turn off the or turn down the phone option at any time so you can decide when and when not to have the phone option. It really does add additional safty on long trips. Also radio calls are priority in the sound chain so the phone or music is remover when a a radio call is received. I love the feature and do understand your comment. My phone also provides my Internet connection for my weather updates and OzRunways data.