Aircraft incidents 2012

shags_j

I start my training Monday week and this week-end has given my family plenty to question, wife - " are you really sure you want to learn to fly?". I have never been more sure, always have but it does make you careful to glean everything you can from these incidents to avoid the same demise.

I feel that there has been more accidents.I also feel the the weather has been worse than usual. I dont have statistics.Just a gut feeling.Maybe with modern media we just receive more information in regards too accidents via forums & the web etc.

I start my training Monday week and this week-end has given my family plenty to question, wife - " are you really sure you want to learn to fly?". I have never been more sure, always have but it does make you careful to glean everything you can from these incidents to avoid the same demise.

l Steve, it will be the greatest challenge AND greatest achievement you may make( well pilots are biased), you've been around a lot of good people so embrace it and go for it. My best wishes to you.

Guest Maj Millard

If you think flying isn't safe enough.....take up Skydiving, they get to carry two parachutes !!!!!......................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

If you think flying isn't safe enough.....take up Skydiving, they get to carry two parachutes !!!!!......................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Because I wore a parachute sometimes gliding, I took a course. We were told the type of chute we were using was an old style and very reliable etc, etc. On my first jump a girl went just before me and they were watching her for a long time intently. On the ground I hear her parachute didn't open but she used the reserve which is unpacked and thrown out by hand. Only seconds from 1500 feet to the ground. They concluded it wasnt packed properly. That's one short straw I am glad I didn't pull.

Guest Maj Millard

Only when operated or used incorrectly Facto......I did ten years of Sport parachuting in the 70s(as it was called then, some called it Sport Death !))...did over 1200 jumps with 24+ hours of logged freefall time, and 8 reserve deployments. Only four 'in anger', the rest during test jumping which I had approval to do.(Senior parachute rigger #8)...Never got close to dying Skydiving but almost died when the jump-plane crashed on take-off...go figure !!!.... but don't try to tell me parachutes are dangerous !.....If I had a nice Security slimpack now I'd probabily wear it in the Lightwing just in case some idiot ran into me in the pattern...but then if I had a chute on I'd probabily also want to see how the Lightwing did aerobatically !...yes still crazy after all these years............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Ballpoint246, I attended the 50th reunion at Elderslie in 2010. I was on the very first load into Elderslie back then when it was first offered to the NSPC, (around 72) and did around 400 leaps there, over the years. Of course I also got to hook up with Ozzie at the reunion, and about 30 other jumpers whom I hadn't seen in 30 years !..

I was amazed by how many older jumpers (including myself) who now flew ULs, or GA aircraft...it seems like a natural progression !..

I was sitting at the dinner next to my old rival John Mahaffy, (I owned Parasport Equipment one of PAs opposition ). I should have mentioned your jump #324 to him !. Happy you got through that one ok, sounds like it was fun............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Remember when sex was safe and sky diving was dangerous? Seems no matter how people proof you make things they will continue to find a way to keep killing themselves very rare someone goes in without deploying either canopy. Audio altis that scream at you aads that fire off your reserve if you go to low we got the gear right but now they make canopies that can kill when mis handled. Human nature.

If they sorted out the spinning in problem by reintroducing spin recovery with quality training they would find another way to end up going in. Fix one problem and open up another.

Ozzie

The ways of being killed are always there, just a lot of people don't see them. The usual method of risk assesment is if you got away with it this time then you are ok. Close calls are lucky warnings-sometimes you don't get one or ignore it and appear in the newspaper obituary.

In the end the only accident statistic that matters is the next one...AND MAKING SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. That responsibility lies with every one of us to achieve this. The tools and signs to do this are all there, we just have to apply them ALL the time.

I would still like to see ALL accidents investigated by the ATSB so we at least get some sort of report.

I can't think when we last had anything from RAAus on this subject. Quite a few years back RAAus (Ultralight Flying) was going to publish an accident report in every magazine. This lasted about two months from memory.

I would still like to see ALL accidents investigated by the ATSB so we at least get some sort of report.

There may well be grounds to suggest that ATSB and RAA are not following the known safe practice of the past, where pilots were educated by timely reports and warnings about many issues and cultures which didn't show up in day to day training and operations.

The RAA accident reports do appear in every magazine, but are called "Pilot Notes", and they don't include the serious injury and fatality events investigated by the Police because the Police will not release their reports (I understand Police do not have the exemptions that ATSB has). What's left are minor accidents but we are still left in the dark on mnay accidents we could learn from by reports such as "on landing the aircraft departed the runway hit a ditch and nosed over." The same editors then go and produce a trip report of someone travelling from Port Pirie to Port Augusta, talking about the wonderful hosts who provided afternoon tea......and that's written at YOUR expense!

Guest Howard Hughes

I certainly feel the number of accidents is up in the last year, or two even. Plenty of the usual continued flight into IMC, CFIT and low level stall spin type accidents, what has shocked me is the number of very experienced and respected people being involved in these accidents.

It certainly makes me question can it happen to me? And am I doing enough to prevent it happening? Every time you step into an aircraft, think very deeply about what you are doing, aviation is an unforgiving mistress.

The old Aviation Safety Digests really stopped me from being an aerial hoon - the explanations were so good you just put them into practice and when you dropped over to others on the field they were doing the same.

I've been aghast at some of the same names you are probably thinking of.

To me the bottom line is currency in flying, and currency in the aircraft you are flying.

• Like 1