So what would stop you attending a GM in Canberra in coming weeks

Guest Andys@coffs

So what keeps you away  

170 members have voted

1. 1. So what keeps you away

• I think this is a waste of time and money
    • I dont understand why we need this (confussed)
    • I dont understand why we need this (I dont agree with the reasons you have given)
    • I cant afford the time off (Likely a full day for the meeting)
    • Its too far (distance and cost of fuel for a car)
    • Its too far (I dont have transport I can use)
    • Its Too far (Accomodation, probably 2 nights issue)
    • Its money I can ill afford at this time of year
    • None of the above I just dont see that the issues warrant the level of concern
    • I would however watch this in real time on my computer if that facility was offered

Guest Andys@coffs

People

A number of you have indicated that while you support the call for a GM and the opportunity to question why things are as they are, you wouldnt be able to attend a meeting in Canberra. I understand that and accept it with some sadness because your attendance would have added to the value of the meeting.

Im trying to understand what will keep you away to see if there is something we can do to address that.

As such here is poll of reasons and possible options, please vote for as many of these as are applicable and if you feel inclined post a commentary to support your position

Regards

Andy

PeopleA number of you have indicated that while you support the call for a GM and the opportunity to question why things are as they are, you wouldnt be able to attend a meeting in Canberra. I understand that and accept it with some sadness because your attendance would have added to the value of the meeting.

Im trying to understand what will keep you away to see if there is something we can do to address that.

As such here is poll of reasons and possible options, please vote for as many of these as are applicable and if you feel inclined post a commentary to support your position

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

The signed requisition form was emailed to you earlier today for the forthcomoing extroadinary general meeting.

With respect to you current survey concerning whether or not members can attend this forthcomong meeting , one has to realise that members are spread across this vast land, & therefore it will only be practical for members who reside in a reasonable radius of Canberra to attend this forthcoming meeting if held in Canberra.

The most important issue at this juncture is to obtain the required % of signed requisition forms from members across Australia & to present this documentation to RAAus for their attention for the Secretary to convene the meeting which he must do under the terms of the Constitution.

Enquiries made by me this week to various members generally reveal that the Board are concerned about fronting this forthcoming meeting, for fear of upsetting the cosy arrangements they have amongst themselves, & so they should for allowing our organisation to be brought into disrepute.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

You should add a response that might suggest that we would go - a lack of response might indicate that we don't have a problem going OR we don't care OR we have no opinion.

You should add

I will be there if I can

I will be there because I hate on line meetings

I can't come but I will send a proxy

cheers

Col

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

John

I agree, however the survey has told me a few interesting things, the greatest reason people will stay away is the accomodation costs, Canberra is not a cheap city for accomodation, this reason leads all other reasons nearly 2 to 1. It is possibly somethng we could do something about. I pressume we will need a hall to hold the meeting, perhaps it can be hired for a longer period such that if people threw in an inflatable and a sleeping bag and the hall had dunnys....maybe we could get greater representation.

I was also interested to see that a fair chunk of those that voted said "If I cant attend, I would watch it live on my computer" thats encouraging to me, but perhaps not a suprise among the technically literate on these forums.

Now if proxyforms were marked I vote my proxy IAW the proxy holders determination on the day after hearing the meeting content and we had a 2 way software that did the live feed and feedback to your computer then the mind just boggles as to what would be possible.... but small steps first.....

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
You should add a response that might suggest that we would go - a lack of response might indicate that we don't have a problem going OR we don't care OR we have no opinion.You should add

I will be there if I can

I will be there because I hate on line meetings

I can't come but I will send a proxy

cheers

Col

Col the thread title assumes you arent going, the reason I asked it that way was to see if there are any recuring themes that I might be able to do something about......... My aim is to try and see if its possible to do anything to lift attendance......

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
..if the meeting was held near an airport RAA members can fly into...then many more RAA members would attend..

Unless the weather turned out to be crappy onthe day.....Whats that saying, when times not a care go by air......

I can't attend purely due to finances but I do understand the urgency of the situation. Isn't there some way that an electronic vote could be taken via this site or the RA.Aus site. Questions could be posted out to all members (maybe a few by snail mail). A threat of their certificates being cancelled would soon make them take note and vote. Not too hard if RA.Aus want to stay viable.

PeopleA number of you have indicated that while you support the call for a GM and the opportunity to question why things are as they are, you wouldnt be able to attend a meeting in Canberra. I understand that and accept it with some sadness because your attendance would have added to the value of the meeting.

Regards

Andy

Andy can a video conference count as being at the meeting, people who cannot attend may be able to organize a video conference at the local aero club or function facility and the cost should be paid by RA-Aus as it is beneficial that as many people can be present to hear what will happen and vote, we may have to have an official present at each video conference location but it would be worth organising to save our great Organisation from any more abuse by the exec and board.

Just an idea"

Actually I think a webcast of the meeting would be a great idea and it doesnt take too much to organise a backchannel for respondants questions either just need a reliable internet connection to the meeting site and a few computers..laptops even. Then a chat server the same as Ian uses on here or for that fact why not use the chat room in here for the questions or remarks from the people all over australia

Guest Andys@coffs
I am sure most members have email addresses and why can we not do a mass email about it to all members

RAAus has details of peoples email addresses but has never done anything with them.....There is no mail list set up. As a normal member for privacy reasons we can not access the systems that have the email addresses in them

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
Actually I think a webcast of the meeting would be a great idea and it doesnt take too much to organise a backchannel for respondants questions either just need a reliable internet connection to the meeting site and a few computers..laptops even. Then a chat server the same as Ian uses on here or for that fact why not use the chat room in here for the questions or remarks from the people all over australia

If I was able I'd probably use Blackboard collaborate. Its teh software used by Uni's worlwide to deliver lectures to external students and to get their interactions back and forth to the lecturer. Its tried and tested with large audiences and Im familiar with it as both student and facilitator...... The back end infrastructure is scaled so that a mass of users wanting to interact would be no issue. www.blackboard.com then to collaborate if you want to have a ganda.

Its all web driven requiring a late version of java runtime (www.java.com) on the client machine and there are available on sites demo's and user training so that if people want the best out of the experience they can get up to speed before the "big event" rather than fight with it when you'd rather be concentrating on whats happening and whose saying what!

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
Sorry Andy I cannot vote because I cancelled my membership with RaaUs last month.Alan.

Seems to be a bit of that going around. I got exactly the same response from 2 others who I would have liked to have called on....sold aircraft and got out...maybe I'll be the only bunny with aircraft scratching my head and wondering how I can mount it on a pole in the front graden...for lack of anything else to do with it.........

Nah just joking!! (I hope)

This whole outcome has been looming for ages. I won't do anything involving committing money as I have lost too much already. I can't see any guaranteed outcome which promises anything of substance, Just uncertainty. Nev

While I am not able to attend a meeting in Canberra, I would gladly give my proxy vote to someone who is attending. I have heard that this will be organised once the meeting is called.

Andys@coffs,

John has it well (for me) when he writes "it will only be practical for members who reside in a reasonable radius of Canberra to attend this forthcoming meeting if held in Canberra". Canberra is a long way from Perth, my home town. I chose the responses nearest to what I felt were my circumstances. You have chosen to interpret the most common response as being associated with cost, though there is no mention of cost in that particular question. Perhaps you should a) not interpret responses, and b) have included an "other" and choice of reasons in your survey. I follow with interest questions of devolution for Scotland, and a referendum in the Falklands. The questions put in such issues are chosen with great care so that they are not open to misinterpretation or misrepresentation.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif