Constructing a grass strip

biggles5128

BlueAre the rings one behind each other or are they side by side. I have been using a spreader bar I made and tow behind the tractor on chains about 6metres behind but even at 200 plus kg it is a bit light it bounces a fair bit. if it has rained and the ground is moist then it works sort of ok but takes quite a few passes I need to put a couple of 44gal drums with water on top I think

Then you will need a bigger tractor. There is a fine line between not biting at all and biting so hard you can't pull it. Remember you don't have to fill the drums right up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggles, how long did the grader spend working on the strip? It looks like it was fairly even and level to begin with.Nice job though, all the right gear makes a difference.

Yes the paddock was fairly level to start with just hips and hollows from previous cultivations. We had the grader work done in a day and then a couple of days working the mesh and roller before seeding and a final mesh and roll. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Then you will need a bigger tractor. There is a fine line between not biting at all and biting so hard you can't pull it. Remember you don't have to fill the drums right up.

Steve

My tractor would pull it I am sure. Mine is a 75hp Massey it has a lot of grunt

DSC_2224_1.jpg.8c41dcc86b107e73c3d93a1f754fd847.jpg

• 2 months later...

I flew into the strip today for the first time, I have flown it a million times in my head and all went better than expected. Surface felt good, touch down point was as expected with at least 2oo mtrs to spare and not even hard on the brakes. I did notice on takeoff that I did not have enough rudder authority. It is usual to input a fair bit of right rudder on any takeoff, however the nearly all grassed over surface may have played a part. I went for a short field takeoff as the first time off the strip. I had to abort 2 attempts due to insufficient rudder authority. I eventually just eased on the power and as the rolling speed increased so did the rudder authority and a very uneventful takeoff. I only used about 200mtrs of runway with plenty to spare so there was no need to power up on the brakes.

Needles to say that I am as happy as a pig in a politicians speech.

Guest nunans

Glad to hear it all went well, How's the hangar going? maybe some pics or vid of the strip and hangar if you get time, we would love to see how it looks finished.

I contemplated getting a grader in to smooth out my strip but I'm wondering how it can level the strip without cutting an edge in the paddock at the high spots?

I'm hoping that I can eventually "turn grass into lawn with a Victor" or a tractor and slasher actually but you get the drift.

l fly tail wheel and did no grading or drainage or sewing. l just moved a fence, dug a few rocks out and slashed the grass..

how did the plane look after all that? and did it chew up the prop, using it that way?

• Haha 2

Glad to hear it all went well, How's the hangar going? maybe some pics or vid of the strip and hangar if you get time, we would love to see how it looks finished.I contemplated getting a grader in to smooth out my strip but I'm wondering how it can level the strip without cutting an edge in the paddock at the high spots?

I'm hoping that I can eventually "turn grass into lawn with a Victor" or a tractor and slasher actually but you get the drift.

Have not started on the hangar yet due mainly to time so the aircraft sits under a tarp while we have a run of good weather then back to my hangar at the airport.

My video camera is steam driven so not sure how I can upload this from the tapes, it might be easier if you all come around and sit in my lounge room and watch it.

Will get a new digital video camera very soon and will post some clips from the aircraft and from the ground making the approach.

In respect to your concerns re the grader, a good operator will get the job done very nicely and you wont notice any real edge. Thats how mine came up any hoot.

• 3 weeks later...
Have not started on the hangar yet due mainly to time so the aircraft sits under a tarp while we have a run of good weather then back to my hangar at the airport.My video camera is steam driven so not sure how I can upload this from the tapes, it might be easier if you all come around and sit in my lounge room and watch it.

Will get a new digital video camera very soon and will post some clips from the aircraft and from the ground making the approach.

In respect to your concerns re the grader, a good operator will get the job done very nicely and you wont notice any real edge. Thats how mine came up any hoot.

What area is your strip? its looking fantastic!

I thought I recognized that country side! reckon there is room on that strip for a drifter to come say G day?

PM me mate and if you give me your number I can give you a ring some time and we'll have a yarn.....

• 1 month later...

Despite plenty advice to the contrary I decided that I would go through the correct channels and apply through my local council for approval to construct and operate from my airstrip. It has taken a little while but I got the nod today.... all good, this way I will have less to worry about if in the future someone builds a mobile home park on a neighbouring property and tries to shut me down. (As unlikely as that may be).012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Did it come in the form of a Permit, or a letter?

A Permit carries a lot more weight to defend Existing Rights. I had a letter permitting me to put fill on my property from a Council which was later amalgamated with another one, and the new Planning Manager decided the letter carried no weight. By the time I had solved it I was about $10,000 out of pocket.

Either way make sure you have copies securely stored because it could be a decade or so before they are needed.

Another issue which can crop up is that a neighbour decides to plant trees around his boundary, and what you've got is good grounds for going to the Council and preventing that if talks fail.

All in all a very impressive project.

• Informative 1

Guest nunans

Will your rates now go up due to a new utilisation of existing land? Who knows the council might even want you to pay them landing fees because they approved your da. And are you now responsible for maintaining the strip to a standard because it is an approved development? What happens if someone crash lands on it are you liable?

You no doubt are doing the right thing but I hate councils

Rates are usually based firstly on zoning, so Residential, Industrial, Rural.

Each attracts a different rate base with Councils usually slugging Industrial because the owners usually don't vote.

Then it's usually up to Site Value and Capital Improved Value; when valuing for rates, the council valuer usually just takes a basket of recent property sales and works it back to a cost per hectare for rural

An approved DA just gives you the right to do something where a permit is required, ie something which is not an as of right use.

This could be a big shed for example.

So rates are not likely to go up, and council has no linkage to get involved in landing fees, which are usually charged by landowners, and the owner is not responsible to maintain the strip to an operating standard (but in terms of safety, would be required to mark it as unusable unless windsocks, cones, markers etc were removed, and the outline of the strip graded off to prevent any inadvertent landings)

If someone crash lands on your airstrip you are liable if you have been negligent in some way (such as misquoting the length, saying it is OK to land when there are cattle grazing on it, not putting out correct white markers if the strip is unsafe (say a flood washout etc) You do have a duty of care on a working airstrip, and the path a person of reasonable intelligence would have to take to get to the house, so no unfenced wells etc.

The advantage is that no one can just come along and tell you to stop operating.

• Agree 1

Not to go further OT but just to point out that in Australia Council rate payment is optional as it is not legally enforceable - but yeah in reality we have no option but pay their illegal charges. The courts have determined that rates are a tax and under our constitution only the federal government has the right to tax us via the ATO; Councils are not a (federal) constitutionally recognised body so have no authority to collect tax. Just remember this when they shove a related referendum question at you later this year.

Not to go further OT but just to point out that in Australia Council rate payment is optional as it is not legally enforceable

So is selling you up for non-payment of rates, my ex-brother-in-law is the bloke who exercises the option in our local council and he loves it.