Rotax 912uls oil level

JUSTNUZZA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Nuzza...don't panic. The answer is no, they don't consume much oil between services at all, in fact surprisingly little. After an oil change I put my oil at the 3/4 position up the stick, and don't let it get below 1/2 way for the next 100 hrs.

Assuming you are 'burping the engine' before checking your engine oil level per the rotax service bulletin, I have found that the actual amout of oil put into the oil tank can vary a bit.

I tend to 'burp' mine right after I shutdown while it's hot, and then check the level on the dipstick before next flight when it is cold. I doubt if I would put 1/2 a ltr in it every 100 hours, with 700 hrs now on the engine...Additionally, if you are not burping you run the risk of overfilling the oil tank, and it will spit the excess out the oil-tank vent-tube all over the belly of that pretty aeroplane of yours.......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Nuzza...don't panic. The answer is no, they don't consume much oil between services at all, in fact surprisingly little. After an oil change I put my oil at the 3/4 position up the stick, and don't let it get below 1/2 way for the next 100 hrs.Assuming you are 'burping the engine' before checking your engine oil level per the rotax service bulletin, I have found that the actual amout of oil put into the oil tank can vary a bit.

I tend to 'burp' mine right after I shutdown while it's hot, and then check the level on the dipstick before next flight when it is cold. I doubt if I would put 1/2 a ltr in it every 100 hours, with 700 hrs now on the engine...Additionally, if you are not burping you run the risk of overfilling the oil tank, and it will spit the excess out the oil-tank vent-tube all over the belly of that pretty aeroplane of yours.......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj, Wouldn't burping the engine whilst hot give false readings as oil volume expands whilst heated. I thought it would be better to burp whilst the engine is cold at ambient temperature for correct level indication ?

Thanks Maj, Wouldn't burping the engine whilst hot give false readings as oil volume expands whilst heated. I thought it would be better to burp whilst the engine is cold at ambient temperature for correct level indication ?

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif..........."Burp"hot.....measure cold ; I think Maj is saying and seems a logical method. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Nuzza, I actually change my oil every 50 but oil-filter every 100 (rotax filter only). I do load a bit of avgas on occasions depending where I am so cover myself with 50 hr changes. I have however gone out to 100 on the oil when travelling without any dramas. I used Castrol GPS until it was disapproved then went to Valvolene Durablend 15W50 which I've used since and like. Chat later...time for a fly !!..............................................Maj... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

You may get a different reading after leaving the engine overnight Depending of the level of the oil tank compared with the engine Ie IF I burped the engine when hot and got a reading right on the full level and then let it sit overnight I will allways find the level down to about half but if I reburp the engine it will be back up to the full mark

I belive this is because the oil tank is fairly high and some of the oil runs back to the engine sump

ps and I never have had to top up the oil level between oil changes ( oil every 25 hours and filter every 50 )

1650hrs on my old motor now still not use oil between 100hr services, i actually forget to check it half the time cause i know its right 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif actually the damn thing better start to loosen up soon cause it coming into winter again soon and it stalls out the starter motor all the time, too much compression.

Guest Maj Millard

Crashly, I doubt that once the oil is 'burped' into the oil tank, that it can 'flow' out of that tank back into the engine. Have a look at your engine operator manual page 9-3...just not going to happen. The engine needs to be started again so that the oil-pump can 'suck' the oil out of the tank.

It is the crankase pressure that puts the oil into the tank, hence the burping.The only vent anywhere in the system, is out of the oil-tank itself...and that better be kept clear of mudwasp nests ..or else !....I don't actually look at the dipstick when I burp hot, so don't know what the level is..........but when I check it cold prior to the next flight, it's where it should be. Did both this morning by the way when I flew, and all good as usual........................

On my habit of burping hot...and checking cold:

Don't really know if this is an approved technique or not by Rotax, but it does work for me. I'll check the appropriat service bulletin on checking oil level when I get a chance...you will notice that you get a more positive 'burp' hot, than you do cold !.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

An engine that uses very little or no oil won't last long. Oil sent to lubricate rings and cyl doesn't flow back into your sump-it meets its maker by being burnt away.

Well damn i hope mine dies soon i getting sick of looking at the same one, it is the "oil"ring that lubricates the cyclinders and the compression rings are supposed to stop it(the oil) getting into the compression chamber, hence with a properly set up engine(proper tolerences), it should not use oil, if that is wrong well then damn every lycoming engine i even seen should last forever 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Well damn i hope mine dies soon i getting sick of looking at the same one, it is the "oil"ring that lubricates the cyclinders and the compression rings are supposed to stop it(the oil) getting into the compression chamber, hence with a properly set up engine(proper tolerences), it should not use oil, if that is wrong well then damn every lycoming engine i even seen should last forever 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

It should use hardly any oil the oil ring lubricates on the way up the scraper ring clears it on the way down and the compression does what it says

It should use hardly any oil the oil ring lubricates on the way up the scraper ring clears it on the way and the compression does what is says

Basically what i said 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Your both wrong !..there is a thin film left on the cylinder wall regardless how good your 'scraper' ring is. It is this thin film that gets burnt every time the cylinder fires. Every engine will consume some, even though in some engines (912 for instance), it's almost an un-noticable amount. Otherwise you wouldn't have to top it up occasionally would you.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Your both wrong !..there is a thin film left on the cylinder wall regardless how good your 'scraper' ring is. It is this thin film that gets burnt every time the cylinder fires. Every engine will consume some, even though in some engines (912 for instance), it's almost an un-noticable amount. Otherwise you wouldn't have to top it up occasionally would you.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Of course the scraper ring isn't going to remove all the oil that's why l said it would use hardly any oil it has to use some oil.

Just came across this thread - don't forget that the oil level is not the only reason to burp your engine before flight. The act of turning your engine over a few times when cold before starting is also to spread the slight amount of remaining oil over all surfaces and so reduce wear immediately after start up - as this is the worst possible time for wear. Also a lot of oil will accumulate in the sump overnight even if you have burped when hot. All this said, as long as whatever you do is consistent you should get a good result.

Cheers

Bill

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Nuzza & everyone,

I have the exact problem, my 912ULS engine is somehow using oil. After 25 hours since last oil change, I have lost 200ml of oil. My engine is 350 hours young. I can't see any leaks nor oil burn stains on prop or tail plane.

Therefore I can't see evidence of it burning or leaking oil, and YES I do gurgle the oil tank as per publication instructions. I have never lost any oil until now, is it hiding somewhere?

Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?

Hi Nuzza & everyone,I have the exact problem, my 912ULS engine is somehow using oil. After 25 hours since last oil change, I have lost 200ml of oil. My engine is 350 hours young. I can't see any leaks nor oil burn stains on prop or tail plane.

Therefore I can't see evidence of it burning or leaking oil, and YES I do gurgle the oil tank as per publication instructions. I have never lost any oil until now, is it hiding somewhere?

Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?

Can I ask, where on the dipstick is the level after burping?

Can I ask, where on the dipstick is the level after burping?

K-man

After burping, the oil level was at the bottom of the flat part of stick i.e minimum level. At the last oil change 25 hours ago I filled it up to the midway point between min & max.

K-manAfter burping, the oil level was at the bottom of the flat part of stick i.e minimum level. At the last oil change 25 hours ago I filled it up to the midway point between min & max.

Right from day one we were advised to keep our oil at that minimum level. Any more than that and we tend to have the level drop. At minimum level I reckon we have added less than a litre over 700 hours.