Work , work, work

icebob

Hi All,

just a short note, I leave for Bangkok in the morning for work and will be back 30th Feb.

The authorities have still not found the rest of the guys i work with, ha, ha. now this is the type of job I like!

Those many long hours in the 206 look like they have paid off, taking the wife with me too, self protection, I do not want to end up in one of "those" bars now do I?

I have been told by a good source the there is a baker of Aussie pies in Bangkok called Lady Pie, there goes the slim figure,ha, ha.

Bob.

Thanks but it is work, true, well all right not all work. I have about 20hrs of flying fixed wing and 8 hours or so helo to do. The only sad thing is I am not allowed to take my new camera flying with me there.

Bob.

Hi All,

Sorry just no room for a drifter, wife wanted to pack jumpers and it's 30degrees plus there??????????

Hi Patrick,

Oh don't I wish that was so, backpacker hotel and cut lunches, long days and short nights maybe.

Actually we are in the Pathumwan Princess Hotel which is attached to the BKM shopping towers, handy, as the big weekend open air markets are just down the road a little. The international airport is an hour away(in traffic) and the Australian Embassy is just half an hour away, the nightclub area is handy, just around the corner and the arcade that sells all the top electronic stuff is within walking distance if you do not stop at the bars to cool off.

Bob.

Hi All,just a short note, I leave for Bangkok in the morning for work and will be back 30th Feb.

Bob.

Bob, are you saying you aren't coming back?

I hope he's coming back a day earlier, the 30th of Feb doesn't exist....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

(Insert irony smiley here)

Hi Ian,

No, I will be back on the 29th Feb: As well as the flying contract I will be setting up a branch office on Telegraph Road, Bangkok and then returning home.

The return on the 30th was just wishful thinking - I can get a cook/house cleaner for $90 per month there.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Bob.

Hi Ian,

That is correct, the contract is for three years but not full time, so I will spend three to four months there and the rest here. I had planned to be back the very end of Feb: this year and be back there same time next year and the year after but unsure yet of the actual length of time/flying hours, some of the facilities there are, well how shall i put it - agricultural/supernatural/from the 1940's when the stuff was second hand??????

Bob.

Guest Howard Hughes
I have been told by a good source the there is a baker of Aussie pies in Bangkok called Lady Pie, there goes the slim figure,ha, ha.

Lady Pie? Be careful what you order, cause you might just end up with bloke pie! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is the first opertunity to get back on the internet, been as busy as an octopus with ten hot pies, ha, ha. So much for the flying hours here, I have been doing double what we thought. The four days in Bangkok were wonderful but we are now based at Phuket, I am getting a good workout on taxiway Foxtrot the military only taxiway although I do get some strange looks in the 206. Fueling has been an issue sometimes it needs to be done by hand from 200lt drums, wonderful in 40 degree humid weather. There is only military preasure refueling here and the electricity how shall I say has a mind of it's own?????? Still having issues with our terain mapping gear, must be the tropics,maybe?????Augie.gif It is 5am local time here and I am off for a hot meal and only 3.5 hours of flying today as I have been invited to the Army officers mess for dinner.

Scared myself yesterday got a lift on a motorscooter from a local army officer, needed some big beers to calm down, done some shopping at a big supermarket in Phuket, an eye opener for big stores. We hope to be back in Australia within 3 weeks after the 20th Feb. Next time will see if I can download some photos but not of the airport/aircraft as there is no photos allowed. Got internet ADSL2+ 20gig per week at around $18A a good price, took a week to get connected up, have a lot to download back to Sydney for the map makers there.

Bob.

• Winner 1

Bob, I think you'd better change your forum name 'cause the 'ice' is going to melt in Bangkok.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

May not be the best nickname to use either for other reasons. People may take it the wrong way...

Can you spell "Kerobokan" ?

Hi All,

After saying somthing to one of the Army officers here about how hot the aircraft is, he told me yesterday he would lit airconditioning, well he did this morning, a paper fan, oh how funny. It is 26 degrees today and rain coming later today early tommorow so it look like I get a chance to do some shopping and sight seeing, some of the guys here have offered to take me up north to see the tiger temple so that should be intresting. I should be ok just too fat for a single tiger bite, ha, ha.

Anyway off to work, I only have 4.7 hours of flying today according to the flight computer.

A slightly cooler IceBob.

PS. A couple of people PM'ed me asking about the Icebob name, well here it is the short story.

In 1972 I built a volkplane VP1a while I was attending TAFE for my LAME course. One winter day at HMAS Albatross, Nowra the then Commander Air the boss of all the aircraft there asked for a flight, he came back frozen and said to me" son you must be made of ice" so from that time my call sign and nick name was ice bob. He flew a C172. He also called everyone 10 years younger than him "son".

Hi All,

Just an update we are on the move up North, about 110Kms north of Bangkok, the map i was given was produced in 1943 and i was told by the Army officers here the strip is from that time too with minimum maintenance, an old fighter strip, red dirt - soooooo this should be fun, ducking around water buffaloooooo and big tuffs of razor grass ---- just make my day. forgot to download some photos will have to go back to the "how to" page and re-learn that. Can show you where i/ we have been living.027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif

Bob.

PS Ian may have to take you up on the offer but you will need to pump fuel too, our fuel man did not come back, he is in jail for drunk and disorderly, silly bugger!

Hi All,

Just a small update as today is a busy one, we got more done than we thought, the WWII airstrip is cement and in good condition, i think the army guys were having a loan of me - again. We are booked on the overnight flight the 14th Feb: that gets into Sydney around 7.40am, the wife wants to stay a couple of weeks more she said there is still credit on my card and lots of shopping still to do:drool:

We return to Phuket tommorow and I am having a good old Aussi BBQ for the army guys that supported us.

Bob.

Hi all,

Just got time to download some photos, the first two are of the villa we are staying in and then hotel reception.

280.JPG.56e9c072af727b31d0a8560f7a6d7a81.JPG

This next photo is of the Thai Department of Defence but I was not allowed any photos of inside or our project.

016.JPG.cc6aa6ff34f91785a5c845faa15303e9.JPG

This last couple of photos was a surprise party thrown by the poeple I work with as it is a milestone for me 45 years of ATP/CPL and 20.000 hours of flying.

290.JPG.9f1ddb120bc82e8f77a53b4b975270aa.JPG

181.JPG.cad2d32ebb0a6e0757f89ace33bbd3d0.JPG

187.JPG.7db7bc1dfbe2941331c5246b4f2d48af.JPG