Accident: Jacobs Well - blue Foxbat

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

generally not.... as it happens I did some instructing in a foxbat yesterday in some pretty messy gusty conditions. Its not the friendliest aeroplane in those conditions. I had to earn my pay ;)

Motz, ya bloody sook ... LOL. whats wrong with ya. Those foxies are a delight to fly, they fly like a Citabria with a nose wheel and the reason the nose wheel is sooooh weak is because it shouldn't be there ... the bloody Ruskies put it on the wrong end.

They would make a great tailwheel aircraft.

I fell in love with the one I flew at the Oaks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Motz, ya bloody sook ... LOL. whats wrong with ya. Those foxies are a delight to fly, they fly like a Citabria with a nose wheel and the reason the nose wheel is sooooh weak is because it shouldn't be there ... the bloody Ruskies put it on the wrong end.They would make a great tailwheel aircraft.

I fell in love with the one I flew at the Oaks.

As with most aircraft they work and look better without a training wheel,

Met

075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

For rough field work or outlanding, a nosewheel that may break off is a big liability A couple of planes have strong ones and should sit with their tail high up That keeps the weight off the nosewheel (Zenith and Bantam). provided the pilot does the right thing. Nev

lolDavid yea David, a lovely aircraft alright.. Until you try and land it in gusty xwind. And then 20 seconds later when well past the roll out and into the taxi and landin debrief, the bloody thing wanted to fly away, I thought to me self dam, this thing rides high in the taxi..10 feet high!!!!

rotten low wing loading !!!!

• Agree 1

OK got it now. Once a thread starts wandering (as they always do) I lose interest.......

For example this thread includes endless discussion on the genius idea of deliberately stalling your a/c and ''floating'' down to your crash site HAHAHA

And then endless posts on Cert 4 training blah blah blah

No wonder I missed it.....

• Like 2

OK got it now. Once a thread starts wandering (as they always do) I lose interest.......For example this thread includes endless discussion on the genius idea of deliberately stalling your a/c and ''floating'' down to your crash site HAHAHA

And then endless posts on Cert 4 training blah blah blah

No wonder I missed it.....

Sorry, I said "posts", should have said "threads", and they must be nearly a year old by now - scary stuff

... includes endless discussion on the genius idea of deliberately stalling your a/c and ''floating'' down to your crash site HAHAHA ...

To be fair David, no one suggested the hold in the stall and mush in is a 'genius idea' ... it has been taken out of context.

The discussion was based on some low wing loading STOL types where such a dramatic style of landing technique has been demonstrated. NO ONE is suggesting that it should be attempted. But in some special types it is possible and has been demonstrated by highly skilled people.

Funny how posters often react to a statement out of context instead of attempting to clarify the intent of the poster ... thems the lot of forums.

Yea thats a bit hows ya dad. I saw the original post and certainly didnt read anything of the sought into it. Someone said that this particular arrival was not conducive of a stalled arrival due to the fact that that aircraft can be stalled with a low VSI and the picture was not pointing in that direction.

• Informative 1

CRASH NEWS UPDATE

There doesn't seem to be any indication that they were operating from a 'wrong' runway.

It seems they might have been doing touch and gos and perhaps underestimated the amount of fuel needed for the duration... sigh.

David - a small amount of thread drift is inevitable and beneficial even though it may be a bit tedious at the time. If you have a gathering of folks in a subject oriented convention, for example, the intention is to stay very much 'on topic' however conversation being what it is, there is inevitably some drift from time to time. The drift is usually provoked by some on topic comment and is very often found to have provided some useful extra insight when the conversation returns to topic, as it usually does without moderating. That is why the best moderated sites do allow thread drift to take place for a few posts, so as to benefit from what gets unearthed. Sorry if we stuffed up your thread though...

• Helpful 1

Once a question is posted up, there is frequently a need to respond to some of the subsequent statements. Every statement on a forum should be able to be questioned. Sometimes the original poster gets a bit miffed because he/she might think it applies directly to them when it may be specifically to the last poster or a general statement to no-one in particular . Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Why would ATSB investigate you may ask ??......well if they are looking at a particulaar trend that appears to be happening, like an increase in folks running out of fuel (true), or planes running into ferris wheels (not so true-but pretty noteworthy!014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif) than to continue their study of the trend, they may have previously decided "we'll look at every possible fuel-exhaustion case"....which it appears this may have been one of ...............................Maj...chill_out.gif.cee4903a35751abb602feb480645ccbb.gif 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

Im surprised the ATSB has possibly got involved, especially that no one was killed & no member of the public was is danger. We have to remember that the ATSB also investigate other transport accidents.Not just aviation accidents.

Guest Maj Millard

7700 being the transponder code for an emergency..............................................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Ohhh...now i get it...Good one..im a little slow..The other day a mate told me that he told his wife she painted her eyebrows on too high, she looked surprised....

it took me 1/2 an hour to get it...But I had to pull the car over when i did because I was beside myself with fits of laughter...

• Like 5

Just repeating briefly the situation in the UK :

If you bend it, CAA/ AAIB will investigate it. If you bend it and HURT yourself / others, They will investigate it a lot quicker. . . . . If you bend it and kill yourself / others,. . . they will investigate it Immediately, or sooner, whichever is quicker. Regrettably, due to the machinations of a government Quango,. . . it will usually be two years before the final exhaustive report is published BUT it is usually EXTREMELY accurate and detailed.Phil

Phil....the same is the case in NZ Where the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) investigate as per your CAA. By publishing accident causes, it is hoped lessons will be learned and accidents reduced hence cost affective.