CASA AUDITS - 2011/2012

turboplanner

Considering the tyranny of distance, I'd say that confirming things such as identification marks by photograph, which is then included in an airplane's registration file is the best way to do things.

OME

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a good letter that Paul Middleton wrote which I got yesterday.......Bruce

Perhaps "clever" is a more appropriate adjective?

Paul has been around RAAus in various guises since the beginning. It is the function and duty of Board members to properly govern the organisation and ensure that those employed by, and reporting to them, are doing their jobs efficiently and effectively.

Whoever it was they want to point fingers at, the Board (especially the Executive) has to take ultimate responsibility. Trying to divert that by saying "HE did it", doesn't cut it with me nor should it with the rest of the membership.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

The audit report is now on the RA-Aus web site.

Disturbing reading. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

It confirms that there has been gross mismanagement in dealing with the deficiencies identified by the audit. 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

But we knew that anyway - didn't we.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 2

Page51... and there about...

On I think the 3rd visit from CASA... of 71 aircraft files examined 57 were non-compliant!!!! And this 7 odd months after the issues were raised by CASA!!!

Fascinating reading... and damning IMO.

Ironically about the only "New GA/LSA" aircraft to consistently pass through the eye of the Auditors is Jabiru... Seems to be an awful lot of Seamax/Savanah/Speed/Sierra/Paradise/Ibis/Petrol/Fly Synthesis/CTSW etc etc types out of the 57 out of 71 files with problems from my quick reading...

I have been quick reading through the whole report....HOLY BATSH*T what a klusterf**k.......I am surprised RAA was not shutdown....is it me or does everyone else seem to think there is more than a lot of mess in that report. So much not done anywhere near correctly

• Agree 3

It sounds like we needed an audit manager, to categorise, prioritise, apply KPI, monitor, report and finalise...

This all costs money though, and that's the problem. I could go on forever about better ways RA-Aus could run, but it all costs money which most Members aren't willing to pay for.

Next step for the CASA Audit release to members would be RA-Aus to release what "Non-Compliance Notices" have been rectified and when. I would also like to see stats on how many notices are opened, being actioned and closed, broken down by month. I have only glanced at these audits, so maybe some of that information is already there. I accept it won't give a full picture as I'm sure the rectification of some notices would take time.

Cheers.

The AUDIT pretty much finishes with these words...

"CASA has little confidence that the corrective actions applied from previous audits are having any measurable effect in correcting this issue with the result that it has grave concerns about the reliability of the data contained in the aircraft registration files maintained by Ra-Aus. These concerns are amplified as further deficiency has been identified in the current aircraft registration process in the last three months. This is further exacerbated by the age of the current Ra-AUS Technical Manual version and the absence of detailed procedures for such things as the grounding of Ra-Aus aircraft due to safety concerns or the maintenance and administration of the current aircraft file record system"

The AUDIT pretty much finishes with these words..."CASA has little confidence that the corrective actions applied from previous audits are having any measurable effect in correcting this issue with the result that it has grave concerns about the reliability of the data contained in the aircraft registration files maintained by Ra-Aus. These concerns are amplified as further deficiency has been identified in the current aircraft registration process in the last three months. This is further exacerbated by the age of the current Ra-AUS Technical Manual version and the absence of detailed procedures for such things as the grounding of Ra-Aus aircraft due to safety concerns or the maintenance and administration of the current aircraft file record system"

And the initial audit report , a year earlier, used the word "imperative" in it's recommendations.

We (RA) were told from the first audit, and it just went downhill to the last.

From reading through the lot, it comes down to tech managers inheriting poor data (rubbish data in files) and poor administrative practices, with no oversight and no support. Look at the first followup audit - Adam Finn had been in the job a day, and promised CASA to address the issues. The issues beat him. He was gone within 6 months. Why did he leave? It doesn't appear to have been voluntary (from the RA announcement). Where was the board?

So from a an "imperative" need for remedial action in Nov 11 to "little confidence" in RA and Non-compliance notices in Nov 12 took 12-13 months, during which we had two new tech managers. Where was the board?

Obviously, we had a long term compliance issue, basically due to poor practices and administration, but there is still no evidence that we have taken real steps to provide a reliable ability to correctly register an aircraft within our remit. It looks like our administration is at the shoebox filing state, and no real steps have been taken to address this. Where is the board?

dodo

• Agree 2