What's the biggest plane you've flown

Guest Bigfella

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... saw a beautiful Pitts Special ...... this thread all that counts is size

One of the fun aeroplane types that I have flown. Three nice Pitts based at Moorabbin now, newest is a current model S-2C.

I notice that many of the regulars are not participating in this thread.

It should have been heaviest, if you are going that way. It's irrelevent anyhow . The Biggest are not necesaarily the ones that are the most fun, as you don"t get to throw them around. Nor are they the most difficult to fly. Nev

The usual description of the feel flying a Douglas DC-4 was to place your two feet in the bottom of a steel bucket and place your hands firmly on the handle and pull yourself off the ground. It had no powered controls and weighed over 70.000 Lbs. It's anti-icing capabilities were pathetic. It would be one of the highlights of my life if I could fly one again. Nev

• Winner 1

I fly the old Lightwing all the time, well, every chance I get. 450hrs. in the last three years, and the 582 still hasn't missed a beat...

the smallest is my fisher 303. (maybe I'll get my wife to stick a picture of it on here for me)...BUT....I did have half a hour in the FA18 simulator at Williamtown many years ago..that was a hoot.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Fokker Friendship. I got invited up front years ago, sat in the left seat, asked what does that switch do? Try it. so I did and it was the prop synchroniser, don't know what the rest of the passengers thought but it made a nice sound. Real flying I suppose a C182.

• Like 1

A c-182 in good condition is a nice thing. It's new price would have to be around 500,000, fully equipped, so all repairs are based on that figure , not the price you pay. I know af an excellent example for 120K.

Yenn, that would be the auto synch switch. You get them close and then hook it in . Engines running in and out of synch drive you nuts...Nev

• Caution 1

yep agreed, loved the 182 the first time when I was PIC (PIC apart from take off and landing).

I also won 2 tickets on the radio for a joyride with the shark patrol taking off from Parrafield S.A . I think that was a 182 also?was about 5 years ago and When the pilot showed us his steep 360Deg continuous turns (that he performs above a located shark,)I went green...lol I tell you I could not wait to land ,and had to lie on the back seat for the whole 2 hr drive home with my head spinning and guts churning...took 3 hrs to recover.

A c-182 in good condition is a nice thing. It's new price would have to be around 500,000, fully equipped, so all repairs are based on that figure , not the price you pay. I know af an excellent example for 120K.Yenn, that would be the auto synch switch. You get them close and then hook it in . Engines running in and out of synch drive you nuts...Nev

OMG!! 500k for a newy...ill stick with RAA then..

Jeez. flyerme. You better not do aero's in anything with a fuel smell in it on a hot day. I have to tell you that when I'm not doing the flying it can make me a little ill too. Have fresh air on you and don't have a tight collar on and don't tilt your head and have your seat belt tight. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Jeez. flyerme. You better not do aero's in anything with a fuel smell in it on a hot day. I have to tell you that when I'm not doing the flying it can make me a little ill too. Have fresh air on you and don't have a tight collar on and don't tilt your head and have your seat belt tight. Nev

weird ,Im fine in command but as a pax? green.even in a car I need to be driving? yet in a boat (big or small im fine?) go figure?

• Agree 1

As a "Techo" I also flew a P3C Orion for about an hour whilst transitting from the USA to Hawaii. Oceanic Control wanted to know why we were not able to maintain the required altitude. Told them we were having 'Autopilot problems!!!, and they were okay with that.

• Like 2

how about "most unusual"?

As a crew chief on the USAF EC-135 (heavily modified B707), I was privileged once or twice to be able to fly the boom - the telescoping refueling shaft that extends out the back and provides in-flight refueling capability to any plane so-equipped. It goes up and down and slightly left to right as well as in and out. Once roughly in place, there are small winglets on it and a joy stick in the rear to control it. i guess that would have been my first experience with controlling anything according to the laws of aerodynamics.

got to see some neat ones, including an SR-71... ahh those were the days (they didn't let me fly it on that one lol). I'll have to see if I still have any piccys and scan them in one day.

• Like 3

Guest Bigfella

Thanks for all the great answers guys, I just thought I'd ask the question, I know biggest is not always best or more fun or.....

For me the only plane I've ever sat up front in is the warrior I'm training in so I was just curious.

The plane that got me into flying was a Chieftain on a flight down to King Island, got back and 3 days later I was doing my tiff and like they say in the classics the rest is history....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

What a shame youngsters can't go up the front of airliners like they used to. Nev

And even for those of us not so young any more Nev. I would still get a kick out of it.

A good friend of mine built a B737-800 simulator in his garage and it looked very realistic. My kids were blown away when they climbed in because they had never seen an airliner copckpit.

Oh and 400hrs in a DHC6 as co pilot and recieved 1.5hrs in the 737 sim at darling harbour for christmas.

Another interesting aircraft i managed some time in was the Wallaroo, a converted DHC2 with a screaming Garrett in it.

The gear in the Arrow should extend by itself if you forget.

Hi Ozzie

The school has disabled that feature as the gear would come down when trying to do stalls/slow flight etc.

We still have the audible warning though.

Yeah the little red knob disconnects it.

Had some interesting flights with the back seat removed adjusting the actuator in the floor that senses the airspeed to lower the gear.

sensitive bloody thing. yo yoing all over the sky with the gear going up and down.