Taking my 85 year old Dad for a flight

octave

took my 85 year old father flying, he loved it despite some epic turbulence on final. My favourite quote of the day - Me "so are you nervous" - Him "I'm 85 what have I got to be nervous of?"

• Like 9

I keep getting a "Hell NO! " from my 86 year old mother when I offer her a ride. I would just love to give her the chance to see her world from a different perspective, but I doubt that she will change at this stage. Credit to your dad for going up.

• Like 1

took my 85 year old father flying, he loved it despite some epic turbulence on final. My favourite quote of the day - Me "so are you nervous" - Him "I'm 85 what have I got to be nervous of?"

That's really nice Octave. Which plane did you use?

• Like 1

Like so many first time pax - grinning from ear to ear, and with the microphone down around around his adam's apple! How'd you hear anything he said? 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gif

yeah his hearing isn't that great anyway, lots of shouting and hand signals:headset:

Guest Bigfella

That's great octave! My old mans 74, my only worry is getting him to the cockpit without doing a hip.

Great stuff

Cheers,

Bigfella

Goodonya octave! Both of my parents loved to go for a fly with me in the Drifter! My fathers last flight was at the age of 85 and my mothers last flight was at the age of 86. That was two and a half years ago. They have both passed away since.

Frank.

• Like 1

Hi Octave,

Looks like your dad really enjoyed it!

It always saddens me that I got my pilot certificate after my dad had passed away - he would have been the first to come up for a flight. My mum always said she wanted to come up for a flight too, but she was in her 80s and living in the UK, so that never happened either..... Make the most of it.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

I think it's pretty special to take your Dad up. I took mine up in a Tiger . He had never said anything about me learning to fly, and had never flown in a light aircraft, but just said the landings were better than the heavies he had flown in. ( On grass they should be) and that was about it. fairly deadpan really, but I think he enjoyed the run down to Caves Beach and back from Newcastle. It was a nice day. Nev

• Like 1

It can be extremely special. My Dad (about 77 at the time) was onboard during my first (and only so far) crash.Dropped it on from 10 feet (during 50 knots gusting) and broke an axle.

He said "I wasn't worried - I've had a good life".

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif But, has he been for a flight again??

• Like 1