Headsets

Compulsion

How many RA AUS pilots use noise cancelling headsets? I currently use the standard set that comes with a Jabiru and also set bought from Ian. I am thinking of buying a Bose A20 but it is a huge amount of money. I do intend to do a reasonable amount of travelling. Interested in your opinions.

yep, i have a set of lightspeeds, had them for years, worn out the ear seals, as well as the padded bit over your head, they still work fine, also great is the bluetooth music and phone when in use. great for calling up AWIS when a long way out. organising fuel, etc. music helps with the long legs

I've got a few sets of David Clark 13.4's, and can't complain, they keep the noise down to a reasonable level in open cockpit jiggers, although the Bluetooth would be nice, I think you can get an attachable one to put in line with the standard gear, I've flown with the ANR headsets in mates planes and although comfy I always wonder if they'd cancel out cockpit alarms ( retractable gear for one).

A mate uses this tiny headset that looks like an iPod earpiece ,not sure of the brand, but it looks as comfy as your gonna get

Met

I just bought a set of lightspeed sierras. Bout 700 and the best money I've spent. Personally, for the extra money for the Bose, Zulus etc you don't get much more headset but, just one or two more features.

I also own two sets of Lightspeed Sierras. So far I'm very happy with them. I wish the ANR could be powered from the aircraft supply, but that's only a minor niggle with them. From what I've seen, the ANR mostly only works on the earphones. The mics are generally of the noise cancelling type which allows the sound from the front of the mic to cancel the sound from the back of the mic. Our voice comes through by virtue of the fact that the mic is placed close to the mouth and the sound mostly enters the mic from one side only.

On the Lightspeed, the headsets still work if the battery goes flat, but the noise cancelling is reduced and also the volume drops a bit. They ARE comfortable to wear too. They have nice comfy padding on the headband.

• Agree 1

I use the halo headset http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ thanks to tomo for the heads up on these, and I LOVE em. The level of comfort from not having something clamping on your head and sunnies or glasses is hard to describe. They are not anr, but they are very quiet.

Alternatively, i own a set of Bose QC15, which are bose high end ANR music headphones, and a company called UFLYMIKE http://uflymike.com/ make a GA plug adapter for it, basically converting them to bose aviation headsets, minus a thousand dollars.

• Like 1

About 5 years ago I fitted Headsets Inc. ANR modules to a low end pair of Pilot headsets. You need to be competent with a soldering iron, but the results compare most favourably with the expensive brands. I directly compared them with Bose at their display at Avalon one year, and the difference is minimal and a matter of personal preference. They certainly take out the low frequency engine/propellor/airframe rumbles while leaving radio and intercom audio quite clear. Google the name for detailed info.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm both a bit deaf and have a fat head (sigh) so my zulus have been a godsend. I can hear so much more clearly than with ordinary headsets, and they're as comfortable as, even after hours of use.