Flight Training now @ Gladstone

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well why do you work for nothing?? I thought you instructors were smart guys, I am in the contruction industry and there is no one I know that would work for 1 hour and then 1 hour for free.When you are employed by a flying school surely you would negotiate the rate you want and what you are expected to do?

So if you guys work extra hours for 0 money who's fault is that, don't complain or say you don't get paid for this and that or paid enough, at some of the high hourly rates that I have seen quoted someone is making the money, so if it's not the instructors who is it??

I am sure we are all smart enough and have the rights not to work for someone if you don't like the pay and conditions, and if that really is what you have to do and are being paid that amount to do it...I would say why are you..I could not afford to do all of those hours for such small money, maybe that's why we hear of bad instructors, maybe they have just had enough but have to put up with it because they have no where else to go.

Everyone needs a fair days pay for a fair days work...isn't that what Australia was built on...???

David

You are right David, however the reality is and nearly always has been that there is a shortage in the construction industry and usually an overflow in the aviation trade. The bottom line is that young instructors and not so young are forced to work for very low wages as there is always another 10 or so knocking on the door to take your job. Most are content to work for little to gain hours for that elusive job to fly something bigger or faster. It's easy to say that we all have the right to work for whom we like but rights don't pay the bills. Not being critical just being realistic. As for ground instruction, the company generally don't charge the rate they do for aircraft hire, so as that forms part of the instructors day, it thins the bottom flying for the company if they pay higher hourly rates for that part of the job. It would be nice to get $50 /hr instructing to try and recoup the tens of thousands that have got you there....

I have read a fair bit over the years comments from "professional" lawn mowing /garden care types. They mention how hard it is to compete with retired guys doing lawn mowing on the side for a bit of cash money to supplement their pension at a price lower than a small lawn mowing business can do it for. They have a very good point . How anybody makes money out of it beats me.

So I was wondering, how many instructors out therehave a full time job and only instruct on weekends for fun and to give something back to the sport, as opposed to the instructor trying to make a living out of it? We could have the same problem as the lawn mowing men. Hard for career instructors to compete with part time weekend instructors when it comes to getting paid per hour. Just wondering if this could be a major problem or a problem at all ?

I have seen some woeful instructors over the years and also some good ones, so it is hard to say what they are worth. I don't know if Gladstone will go ahead, but at the rates he charges he will have to be very good.

As far as construction industry workers not working unless paid, I can see them getting ripped off all the time. Working for a main contractor who doesn't pay on time and then goes broke. Thousands of workers in Qld have been ripped off. It must be rather similar in flying.

You hit the nail on the head there dazza. I would have said it but people would start jumping up and down about how cheap instructors are better than expensive ones.

I better add - I think that just because a instuctor instructs part time as a side line, doesn't mean that they are not as good as a full time instructor. ( I hope that helps)

I have seen some woeful instructors over the years and also some good ones, so it is hard to say what they are worth. I don't know if Gladstone will go ahead, but at the rates he charges he will have to be very good.As far as construction industry workers not working unless paid, I can see them getting ripped off all the time. Working for a main contractor who doesn't pay on time and then goes broke. Thousands of workers in Qld have been ripped off. It must be rather similar in flying.

I agree Yenn. I worked in the construction industry mainly high rise for 12 years.The construction industry in SE Qld died about 18 months ago, with a lot of builders going broke (big builders that had been around for many years) and not paying sub contractors. I was lucky, but a lot people I know lost a lot of money. We are talking in some cases $120 000 or more.

I don't do anything else. I only instruct and get scraps of other flying jobs from time to time. It's very hard to make a living from it, and I knew that when I started into it. I probably charge middle of the road prices and of late have given most of the flying to the girls, Liz and Alex. I hope I'm helping improve the standards of the raa by focussing on mentoring them rather than takin all the work myself. It's a hard road, and your motives can't be money. It's simply not there . But there is a lot to be gained, so so much, but you will never pay the bills with it.

• Like 3

Working for a main contractor who doesn't pay on time and then goes broke.

I was just talking about guys on hourly rate not doing any more work than what they were contracted to do or that is in their scope of works that are in the construction industry...builders that fall over and take subbie's for the thousands..thats another story and thread altogether.

David

I have read a fair bit over the years comments from "professional" lawn mowing /garden care types. They mention how hard it is to compete with retired guys doing lawn mowing on the side for a bit of cash money to supplement their pension at a price lower than a small lawn mowing business can do it for. They have a very good point . How anybody makes money out of it beats me.So I was wondering, how many instructors out therehave a full time job and only instruct on weekends for fun and to give something back to the sport, as opposed to the instructor trying to make a living out of it? We could have the same problem as the lawn mowing men. Hard for career instructors to compete with part time weekend instructors when it comes to getting paid per hour. Just wondering if this could be a major problem or a problem at all ?

I don't know Dazza.. I would have thought those old guys would be past cutting their neighbours grass...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have read a fair bit over the years comments from "professional" lawn mowing /garden care types. They mention how hard it is to compete with retired guys doing lawn mowing on the side for a bit of cash money to supplement their pension at a price lower than a small lawn mowing business can do it for. They have a very good point . How anybody makes money out of it beats me.So I was wondering, how many instructors out therehave a full time job and only instruct on weekends for fun and to give something back to the sport, as opposed to the instructor trying to make a living out of it? We could have the same problem as the lawn mowing men. Hard for career instructors to compete with part time weekend instructors when it comes to getting paid per hour. Just wondering if this could be a major problem or a problem at all ?

Spot on Dazz.

F/T for me and I still love it! I have casuals too in my school and they are dedicated but not dependant on the income.

Maybe if things get tough you could mow a few lawns on the side Neil, get a bit even with 'em.

Catch 22 that one, thought about it though! Like going back to my childhood, used to mow lawns to pay for my flying when I was a young'n. Trouble is when it rains you can do neither!!!

All good at our end mate,

Cheers

I saw something that really blew me away yesterday, in a good way; this seems like a good a thread to share it as any.

I was sitting around in the hangar waiting for my instructor to wrap some things up and a couple of young kids, one maybe 10 and the other 8? (dunno, i'm a poor judge) were going around the different hangars. The older kid was pulling the younger in a little wagon.

Anyway, they wheeled on up and asked me very politely "excuse me, do you or anyone need their planes washed?"

I was gobsmacked, I just didn't think kids did anything out of their own initiative anymore like that... I really wish I had something for them to wash, it made me feel a tiny bit better about this upcoming generation. But whoever you are, kid - "Good ONYA!!"

• Like 1

I saw something that really blew me away yesterday, in a good way; this seems like a good a thread to share it as any.I was sitting around in the hangar waiting for my instructor to wrap some things up and a couple of young kids, one maybe 10 and the other 8? (dunno, i'm a poor judge) were going around the different hangars. The older kid was pulling the younger in a little wagon.

Anyway, they wheeled on up and asked me very politely "excuse me, do you or anyone need their planes washed?"

I was gobsmacked, I just didn't think kids did anything out of their own initiative anymore like that... I really wish I had something for them to wash, it made me feel a tiny bit better about this upcoming generation. But whoever you are, kid - "Good ONYA!!"

They didn't have a stack of headsets and GPS's in their wagon by any chance?

• Haha 3

LOL, no rank....

They had that gleam of hope in their eye like they had something exciting they are saving up for and only need to wash 10 planes and its there. Like it used to be when i was a kid. Allowance?? what's that??? get out there and hustle for it, kid!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes that is nice to see, I think us older people seem to bag the younger gen as being given everything they want and not having to work for anything so it is very good to see that, maybe you could have given them your car to wash instead, I know mine is filthy from all the rain we have had, I would have happily given them mine to do..

David

Yes that is niice to see, I think us older people seem to bag the younger gen as being given everything they want and not having to work for anything so it is very good to see that, maybe you could have given them your car to wash instead, I know mine is filthy from all the rain we have had, I would have happily given them mine to do..David

Yup, and I absolutely would have except that was the one time I elected to take the train in!!

• 5 weeks later...

The school that is the subject of this thread, ""Gladstone Flight Training & Aircharter" has been based in the Gladstone Aero Club building.

As from today the Gladstone Aero Club has ended it's association with GFT&A and they no longer operate from the club building.

• Informative 2