1st Solo!

(drum roll....)

FINALLY!

Happened on Saturday, i managed to book the first flight of the day so the wind was calm and no thermals or turbulence to speak of.

I won't crap on too much here, I'll post a link to my blog when I get it updated.

But short story, it was part exhilarating and part terrifying! Most everything others have said about "first time" rang true - the performance was quite a bit better - I was at 1000' before the end of the runway! Landed a bit high the first time as well, floated longer, etc, but got better as it went. Still can't line up on the centre as well as i'd like, but that will get better with practice.

I can't say that i noticed it being any "quieter", as my critical inner dialogue more than made up for it haha!

But that's it - .8 in the books, "1st time jitters" out of the way (to make room for 2nd time jitters) and enough to keep my mind chattering 24/7 until the next time!! Thanks to everyone along the way for various words of encouragement, their solo stories, wisdom and tips. Its been a long time coming, I started this in 2011!

OK enough jabbering, cheers and happy Easter everyone!

• Like 11
  • Winner 7

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! I did my first solo in 1985, and I can still see the empty seat where my instructor had been sitting! As others have said, it is something you will never forget!

• Informative 1

Congratulations and thanks for making me think of my first solo. I am feeling awesome just thinking about it. Staying on the centerline was always my biggest problem but it did get better with practice.

• Informative 1

Congrats mate, well overdue. I assume it was 7295 out of YWOL?You can always put the high landing down to the lack of ballast in the Right hand seat :)

Hah thanks shuie,

Nope it was 5477 out of YWOL, just knocking my solos out down there with another outfit. Finally, eh?