Video: **EMERGENCY LANDING ON HIGHWAY** INBOARD CAM VIEW ... Original Video

fly_tornado

If there was no risk of conflict with road traffic I would prefer to land on a road rather than off road with questionable surface or unseen obstacles.

On a lighter note, I could probably call the RAA. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Alan.

• Agree 3

In that situation, I would of chose the highway too, fairly light traffic in that direction - you won't find too many people that won't slam on their brakes if they see a low plane fly over their head on a highway, this will then create a nice clear runway as the cars behind you create a road block from braking - just hope that you don't catch up to the ones in front - pretty sure they WON'T brake if they see a aeroplane in the rearview mirror 046_fear.gif.84b83182244bd664b8a3a0c1e803f021.gif

For the price of in-car cameras or in car DVR's - I wish more people would fly with these more often, especially solo flights, so in situations like this one, we can all learn from someone else's experience in a emergancy. may also help a investigation if things don't end well.

In that situation, I would of chose the highway too, fairly light traffic in that direction - you won't find too many people that won't slam on their brakes if they see a low plane fly over their head on a highway, this will then create a nice clear runway as the cars behind you create a road block from braking - just hope that you don't catch up to the ones in front - pretty sure they WON'T brake if they see a aeroplane in the rearview mirror 046_fear.gif.84b83182244bd664b8a3a0c1e803f021.gifFor the price of in-car cameras or in car DVR's - I wish more people would fly with these more often, especially solo flights, so in situations like this one, we can all learn from someone else's experience in a emergancy. may also help a investigation if things don't end well.

in this situation you are all probably right, my only concern I take from this is we are putting the focus on the saftey of the pilot, the crew and the aircraft. but keep in mind on roads in europe, vehicles are moving a hell of alot faster. and relying on someone to slam on there brakes could very well cause a major car accident, an accident could also have been caused by people being distracted on the other side of the road. and i personally don't like the thought of relying on anyone slamming on the brakes, there are plenty of flibidy jibits out there who should not have a licence. finaly if it all didnt go according to plan and something went wrong on landing, the aircraft is awfully close to members of the public.

personally, I would defiantly have flown stol procedures into a paddock, and even if the aeroplane had been written off, the occupants of the aircraft should have been safe and the aircraft would be out of harms way. But thats just my opinion, doesnt make it right, but thats what would through my head there and then. the fact that there was an engine failure in the first place proves that we cant always rely on things going according to plan.

Gentlemen

You have to bear in mind that we are viewing/commenting on an situation that occured in Quebec. French Canadians have had the traditional ability and licence to do just whatever they feel like doing without having to either explain and/or justify their actions. Vive les Quebecois? However, having lived in the area, I reckon I'd vote with the pilot - better a stretch of un-occupied freeway than an adjacent paddock of questionable integrity. cheers Riley

• Agree 1

The Quebecians are a strange lot....the Montreal french don't like them....the french in france don't like the quebec mob but like the Monreal mob and the quebec mob dont like the france mob....I worked over there for a while. I actually did a job for a company that the husband was from Montreal and the wife was from Quebec...it was interesting they were both pretty fiery but nice people...I was there when the separatist debate was really taking off it was getting pretty nasty too...The main thing I remember was how cold it was.....I couldn't live there it was -21degC and a windchill of _31...and they told me it want cold yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This looks a little set-up to me. Why were they at 600 feet over a road when this "happened" Nev

Probably flying IFR....I follow roads, not trying to be funny here but flying near roads can be useful in the case of an accident.

Alan.

One thing I noticed from the video that is indisputable...they ALL survived unscathed and intact including the plane except for whatever was wrong with the engine.

The pilot was there and we're just second guessing the circumstances. It was HIS choice and he obviously made a good one.

• Agree 3

One thing I noticed from the video that is indisputable...they ALL survived unscathed and intact including the plane except for whatever was wrong with the engine.The pilot was there and we're just second guessing the circumstances. It was HIS choice and he obviously made a good one.

Yeah, my first thoughts were that other options were available. (Easy to say from the comfort of my chair) However its difficult to pick holes in anyones decisions when A: every one walks away unscathed and B: aircraft entirely undamaged! On that basis have to say job very well done!

• Agree 1

When you are that low there is not much time to deliberate. Roads do have their hazards. The few times I have outlanded I have had the option of a road but chose to not use it. The main reason is trees wires and traffic. IF you are satisfied about those go for it. There are sections of the Nullabour marked for landing.... Nev

It is interesting to see the different views on this one. As there is no hard and fast rule when you have an engine failure, only that your main consideration is that you and your passengers walk away. A number of years ago I was doing a flight test with CASA for the Chief pilots job, during the test he gave me an engine failure, I went through the emergency procedures and briefed him that we were going to land on a strip of beach, he said "what about that paddock," I said "the beach gets graded twice a day and its my call", he couldn't argue with that. Every situation is going to be different and there will be some that will disagree with your choice, however thats the responsibility thats comes with being the pilot in command, you have to make the best choice as you see fit.

For the record, I would have taken the road as well.

• Agree 1

Reminds me of when I was converting to RA with fisher. he pulled the engine on me in at 500 feet and screamed "forced landing", I instantly made a right hand turn for a 100 acre open paddock i had already sighted up as an alternate up while flying along doing the usual keeping your options open routine. Wayne almost seemed quite grumpy and asked why the hell i would have made a right hand turn into a paddock when there was an airstrip to the left at the end of a cane field. i answered "simple. I didn't see the airstrip, and I had already seen this paddock and new it was perfect. there is no stock in it, no fences, no services, it is square so I can come in at any angle. its a paddock type i know well so i can feel just as confident flying into it as i would a strip i dont know from a bar of soap. and even if it is to rough, I know we will be getting home tonight for dinner, even if we are walking. plus the flag on the near by home is a perfect wind indicator. Im not going to waste valuable height looking around for somewhere else, thats why I keep an eye on an alternate and have an approach in my head any time i fly."

Waynes responce was simply, "cant argue with that, hope they put the kettle on!"