A Trailer load of WHAT ? ? ?

Phil Perry

Whilst on business in London recently. . .I went to an Australian "Theme Pub" .

Even the bar staff appeared to be Genuine Aussies. There was one old geezer, parked on a stool in a dark corner who introduced himself as "Vince" from Echuca. Being a nice sort of bloke, I bought him a beer ( as you do ) and he recounteed some old Aussie stories, bursting into uncontrolled fits of laughter after the punchline in each one. . . . . The one I remember best goes like this, but someone will have to explain it to me, as I didn't understand the vernacular. It went like this. . . .

Me and me mate were working on a farm up near the Murray River. . . and the owner told me mate to go out and get a trailer load of Mallee Roots. .

and the silly beggar came back with the Swan Hill Marching Girls . . . ." ( ? )

• Caution 1

Wow !!! You met old Vince in England... Crickey, the old bloke has been threatening to go over and teach the Poms a thing or three for ages, and now you're telling us he's finnally done it? Wow !!!

In the old days, when the mallee country (Google Mallee) of N - NW Victoria (which is where Swan Hill is) was being cleared so the land owners could grow wheat, the roots of the Mallee scrub trees had to be grubbed from the ground. Because "Mallee roots" would burn down easily, and with tremendous heat, to a fine ash that resembled talcum powder, they were a prized fuel for the wood burning stoves people had in those days. I've seen photos of train loads of "mallee roots" being transported to Melbourne for that purpose.

Now, in the Australian vernacular, "root" is as "screw" is to Americans. Does it make sense now? 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Haha 1

Wow !!! You met old Vince in England... Crickey, the old bloke has been threatening to go over and teach the Poms a thing or three for ages, and now you're telling us he's finnally done it? Wow !!!In the old days, when the mallee country (Google Mallee) of N - NW Victoria (which is where Swan Hill is) was being cleared so the land owners could grow wheat, the roots of the Mallee scrub trees had to be grubbed from the ground. Because "Mallee roots" would burn down easily, and with tremendous heat, to a fine ash that resembled talcum powder, they were a prized fuel for the wood burning stoves people had in those days. I've seen photos of train loads of "mallee roots" being transported to Melbourne for that purpose.

Now, in the Australian vernacular, "root" is as "screw" is to Americans. Does it make sense now? 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

ERRR,. . . . thanks Wayne ( I think, ) so,. . . .you mean that a root is the same as a metal device with some sort of helical thread cut into it to enable a suitable piece of machinery to rotate it into a solid object,. . . ???? I'm still confused . Sorry to sound a little thick.

Phil . . . ( Catholic Priest - St. Augustines Church, Rugeley Road, Hednesford, Staffordshire, WS11 5xb )

• Haha 1

Phil,

Consider this. A bloke who visits a lady for dinner; then engages in some horizontal calesthenics with her, and departs is known as a "wombat". A wombat eats, roots and leaves.

OME

• Haha 2

Phil,Consider this. A bloke who visits a lady for dinner; then engages in some horizontal calesthenics with her, and departs is known as a "wombat". A wombat eats, roots and leaves.

OME

Oh My goodness,. . . . . is this something to do with physical sex, oh dear, that is a little outside my remit my son.

Oh My goodness,. . . . . is this something to do with physical sex, oh dear, that is a little outside my remit my son.

Boys , Perry's pulling yer pissers!

• Haha 2

Never saw any Swan Hill Marching Girls when I lived at BOGA. ( a suburb). Maybe someone with a new Falcon ute came along and "pulled" them away. Nev

That would be a couple of good looking Rosters in a Hilux.. No one in a falcon would have a hope these days. lol

• Haha 1

Never saw any Swan Hill Marching Girls when I lived at BOGA. ( a suburb). Maybe someone with a new Falcon ute came along and "pulled" them away. Nev

Actually NEV, IT WAS JUST A PLAIN OLD JOKE . . . . . . I heard it when I flew in to Bendigo one afternoon with the couple I met when Wifey and I were on the Pommie convict immigrant ship ( £10 Pound Poms ) from England in 1970, and we met up by accident, and following my Aviation Tales, they agreed to fly with me from Casey Airfield to Bendigo for some snap and a cuppa. Whilst i the process of being told by my passengers what a GOOD pilot I had become. . . , I got distracted and landed downwind. . . . .

We met a local bloke named "Vince" who, apparently, used to be a pilot, he carried his logbook around, and if true, he had had a very long career. But apart from this, he was a REALLY good storyteller. And the "Mallee Roots" thing was one of his, I didn't understand it at the time.

It's amazing how a "One Liner" can create a thread innit ? . . . . . . . ! ! !

And . . . If you know him. . . can you ask Gibbo sometime what the hell "Roster" means ?? Sounds like it might be a masculine title,. . .? Because, I don't remember that bit of vernacular. . . . . I might need this information, when I finally get down to wrting my next book, entitled, "They're a weird Aviation Mob" ( with apologies again to the family of the late, great Nino Culotta ( or John O'Grady ) 100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

Phil

There is a t shirt popular in the US that is simply marked ROOTS in big letters. Now also in Oz. My wife has one and I've been threatening to get one that says DOESN'T.

PM. . . . . . . ? Should that shirt you're thinking about actually say. . . . "NO SHE DOESN'T. . . " ??? Just wondered. . . . . ( ! ) BTW, if you get a couple made, can I have one please, ?? as this applies to my other half as well. PS,. . . my size is XXL. . . . . .

Phil

what the hell "Roster" means ?? Sounds like it might be a masculine title,. . .

Like this :

a list or plan showing turns of duty or leave for individuals or groups in an organization: next week's duty roster.• a list of members of a team or organization, in particular of sports players available for team selection.verb [ with obj. ] chiefly Brit.place on or assign according to a duty roster: the locomotive is rostered for service on Sunday.ORIGIN early 18th cent. (originally denoting a list of duties and leave for military personnel): from Dutch rooster ‘list’, earlier ‘gridiron’, fromroosten ‘to roast’, with reference to its parallel lines.

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

Like this :a list or plan showing turns of duty or leave for individuals or groups in an organization: next week's duty roster.• a list of members of a team or organization, in particular of sports players available for team selection.verb [ with obj. ] chiefly Brit.place on or assign according to a duty roster: the locomotive is rostered for service on Sunday.ORIGIN early 18th cent. (originally denoting a list of duties and leave for military personnel): from Dutch rooster ‘list’, earlier ‘gridiron’, fromroosten ‘to roast’, with reference to its parallel lines.

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Tomo, I need to have a quiet talk with you my boy. . . . . assuming you're not ROSTERED to feed the ROOSTERS for ROASTIN . . .

Phil

• Haha 1

I'm leaving that one alone .... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Yes Bex. . . . . .it's probably more tongue twisting than the one about she sells sea shells by the sea shore. . . . . . BUT

Heres another one. . . .( won't work in China though ) try telling friends that, as a pilot,. . .you were specially trained to think extremely quickly, and then tell them that to get a pilot licence, they would also have to think very quickly. . . .You then tell them that one of the tests went like this. . . . .

You tell your poor subject to answer the question as FAST as they possibly can, and that if they have to stop and think, it just proves that they are as thick as two short planks and could NEVER be a pilot like you. . . Incredibly. . . MOST PEOPLE will fall for this. . . . .

You give them a BIG build up and tell them that they have to answer IMMEDIATELY, no time to think, . . .otherwise they fail the test.

The question is this, . . . and you have to ask it very quickly. . . . .

HOW DO YOU SPELL SHOP ? they will invariably answer,. "ESS, AITCH, OH, PEE" or SHOP in english.. . . then, without a millisecond delay, you must ask,. . . " Whaddyer do when you come to a GREEN light, ? . . . . .99.9 percent of them will immediately say,

"STOP". . . . . . . Some of them even spell it out for you ! ! !

It's some kind of mental association block. . . .and they kick themselves afterwards. It works, . . . if you don't believe me, just try it on friends who are unlikely to hit you, BUT don't forget the serious Build-Up, or it is unliely to work. . . !.

I learned this whilst being trained as an interrogator. . but that's another story. !

Try it and . . . .Please,. . . .report your findings to us in the "Off Topic" section, we might even make a POLL of the answers ! ! ! !

Phil

Tomo, I need to have a quiet talk with you my boy. . . . . assuming you're not ROSTERED to feed the ROOSTERS for ROASTIN . . .Phil

Innocents is blisssssssss...... 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Like 1

This may go someway to explaining 'roosters' for our non strine speaking friends. lolhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTuYiLT9oMw

GIBBO. . . . you prawn. . . . . yer fooled me with yer bad spelling blue. . . . . ." ROOSTERS" and "R O S T E R S" have "slightly" different linguistic connotations mon ami ! ! !

Or, as Mick Jagger used to sing. . . . . AAAAHHM a liddle red ROSTER. . . . . toooo lazy to do my shift. . . . . . Boom Dah Dah Dah. . . .

Phil !