5 minute warning, 7:30pm (CST), SBS.

I would have liked to have watched this, but I was outvoted by fans of 'The Voice' :-)Was it worth watching?

Well, that depends on who watched it. I enjoyed it for two reasons. One, it was about aviation and two, it showed how teams of scientists and engineers etc. get together to conduct a trial or experiment. I am involved in similar work and like to compare how we (the team I work with) do it and how others conduct their trials. We don't get to crash big jets but have managed to blow things to smithereens a few times. It think it is of interest to us aviators, especially those of us who fly in the big planes (as passengers). I recorded it, although you can watch it on the interent.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it. The only thing that went wrong, according to their plans, was hat it landed a bit short of the target spot. I'm not sure though, as to how much value there was in it. Not all planes come down that way so how can they possibly say where is the safest place to sit. Obviously, they gain some other knowledge, ie, escape doors are too narrow, and possibly, the area behind the cockpit needs beefing up to prevent separation. All those wires and stuff overhead also need to be dealt with. Just think, no carry on luggage, no lockers. Interior fittings also impeded evacuation so more thought in that area to.

For the life of me, I think why the first 2 jumpers were on board. They did seem to do anything? Did I miss something.

Oh, another thing, what difference would it have made if the wheels were retracted? The nose wheel would have dug in deep.

• Like 1

Not all planes come down that way so how can they possibly say where is the safest place to sit .

I agree! The crash site appeared to be very sandy, allowing the aircraft to slide for some distance before breaking up. Had it come down in a heavily timbered,stony area,the result would have been completly different,however, they do know this.

A lesson for every pilot is the fact that when they went to start the engine of the first chase plane it wouldn`t start because a seal in fuel pump had started leaking badly. Fortunately it occured on the ground but had it occured in the air, resulting in an engine failure, the scientists may have had that one to work on also.

Frank.