Did anyone else see that Jab in the comp sim on the "Plane Crash" Documentary ?

Just wondering if anyone else saw and said "WTF ??" (or similar) when watching the SBS (Perth) documentary called "Plane Crash" last night. It was about the experimental controlled crash of a Boeing 727, which American and British researchers were flying by radio control from a chase plane. The first chaser was a Cessna 337 and a tad too slow for the job. They illustrated the problems this caused with a computer simulation..in which the chase plane became a Jabiru 160 registered 24-4544 !! The only explanation I can think of is that whoever made the simulation delved at random into their library of "light aircraft" and came up with the Jab. Any other ideas ? The video can be seen on SBS on-demand at http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/31461955716/Plane-Crash until 24th June.

• Agree 1

Just wondering if anyone else saw and said "WTF ??" (or similar) when watching the SBS (Perth) documentary called "Plane Crash" last night. It was about the experimental controlled crash of a Boeing 727, which American and British researchers were flying by radio control from a chase plane. The first chaser was a Cessna 337 and a tad too slow for the job. They illustrated the problems this caused with a computer simulation..in which the chase plane became a Jabiru 160 registered 24-4544 !! The only explanation I can think of is that whoever made the simulation delved at random into their library of "light aircraft" and came up with the Jab. Any other ideas ? The video can be seen on SBS on-demand at http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/31461955716/Plane-Crash until 24th June.

yep sure did

Guest Escadrille

Can a Jabby somewhere actually cruise at 142+ kts....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

I know mine can't, but it just shows that they are internationally accepted!

Guest ozzie

good experiment I thought. highlighted a few things that would help if one was involved in an accident like that.

I saw it too! But 50 metres on the RC gear. My JR gear years ago had at least a couple of kms range! Never the less it was a good doco. And I wouldn't mind a flight in the chase plane, not the Cessna but the turbo prop but only after the pump was fixed.

Imagine everyone jumping out of the 727 and then the chase plane blowing up from the seal blowing on the fuel pump. Hmmmm largest out of control RC ever seen! Yipe! 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

I saw it too! But 50 metres on the RC gear. My JR gear years ago had at least a couple of kms range! Never the less it was a good doco. And I wouldn't mind a flight in the chase plane, not the Cessna but the turbo prop but only after the pump was fixed.Imagine everyone jumping out of the 727 and then the chase plane blowing up from the seal blowing on the fuel pump. Hmmmm largest out of control RC ever seen! Yipe! 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

Got to ask FriarPUk - you must be related to my Puk(Graham) ??

I have not met Graham. Spoke to him via the forum. Will see him around the traps one day I suspect. And I also suspect that we do come from the same linage although we are not closely related. There are not a lot of Pukallus folk in Australia and we all come from the same crew who came out to Australia from Germany in the 1850's or thereabouts. My crew all come from the Darling Downs, first nr Crows Nest but now Toowoomba, Dalby, Norwin etc.

• Informative 1

Yebbut Yebbut Yebutttt.... I just wanna know how an Aussie Jab end up as the star in that video ?? Surely can't be just random can it ? Has anyone told the good people at Bundaberg that their little creation can keep up with a 727 ??

By the way, no connection but a Jab SP has just been stolen from Northam airfield over here in WA...police investigation proceeding.

Haha..yeah we've all done that.

It was in the West Australian yesterday: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/17579858/plane-missing-at-ground-level/

It's also on the RA website. It's such an unusual thing that it's a wonder it hasn't appeared in the press over east (or in the news thread here). It worries me a bit because I can't think of any sensible reason, financial gain or otherwise, why one would steal a Jabiru from a hangar (which had other aircraft in it). In the absence of any "sensible" reason to want to steal a light aircraft one then starts to think of "non-sensible" reasons...and THAT quickly becomes scary.

Haha..yeah we've all done that.It was in the West Australian yesterday: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/17579858/plane-missing-at-ground-level/

It's also on the RA website. It's such an unusual thing that it's a wonder it hasn't appeared in the press over east (or in the news thread here). It worries me a bit because I can't think of any sensible reason, financial gain or otherwise, why one would steal a Jabiru from a hangar (which had other aircraft in it). In the absence of any "sensible" reason to want to steal a light aircraft one then starts to think of "non-sensible" reasons...and THAT quickly becomes scary.

What is scary, that someone would steal a Jabiru when they had a choice, what else was in the hangar?

Dunno (what else was in there). Maybe the same Jab that appears in the mysterious video and apparently belongs to the Tassie Aero Club. My personal belief is that when they find the Jab they will also find Elvis. And Harold Holt.

Now I have an image of a clown flying a Jab into a building while shouting "Alla Akbar!" then seeing this crumpled Jab stuck on the side of the building like a bug smashed on a windscreen.

Yebbut Yebbut Yebutttt.... I just wanna know how an Aussie Jab end up as the star in that video ?? Surely can't be just random can it ? .

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Surely you have noticed the apple laptops featured prominently in movies, or the can of coke sitting up in the window of the coaches box at the footy. This was clearly a case of clever product placement by the guys at Bunduberg.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif