Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat

SilverWing

Admin submitted a new Showcase Item:

Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat

The Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat is a Ukrainian two seat, high-wing, tricycle gear ultralight aircraft that was designed by Yuri Yakovlev and is manufactured by Aeroprakt. In the USA the A-22 is referred to as the Valor, while in the UK and Australia it is called the Foxbat. It has also been marketed as the Vision.The Aeroprakt A-22 is supplied either as "ready-to-fly" factory built aircraft, or as a kit, consisting of some 152 pieces. The kit can be built in about 500 man-hours.

The A-22 meets the definition of an FAI microlight.

Design and development

Aeroprakt of Kiev began design of the A-22 in February 1990, with the first prototype making its maiden flight on 21 October 1996, and a German-certified version entering production in 1999.

The A-22's structure is almost completely all-metal with only the engine cowling, wing fillets and wheel spats being made of composites. The wings and control surfaces are fabric covered. The aircraft has excellent visibility, due to the large amount of glazing, including convex doors, that allow the occupants to look straight down. The A-22 uses a 3-axis control system, giving the pilot full control over the aircraft. The A-22 uses flaperons in place of ailerons and flaps, giving a stall speed of 52Kmh (28Kt) with the flaperons fully down.

The A-22 Foxbat, showing its unique window arrangement

The kit comes with either the 80 hp (60 kW) Rotax 912UL or optionally the 100 hp (75 kW) Rotax 912ULS. The 85 hp (63 kW) Jabiru 2200 can also be fitted.

Originally the A-22 came fitted with a 40 litre inboard fuel tank behind the seats although later models have wing tanks holding 37.5 litres per side. The propeller is a 3-blade composite ground adjustable KievProp. Dual controls are standard, using a single central "Y" yoke or optionally twin yoke control system.

Read more about this showcase item here...

500 man hours to build from a kit? A man will measure three times and cut once whereas a woman gets it correct first time so it would be less in female hours.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gifAlan.

054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif You won't get a guernsey for making that statement!!

• Like 1

It is my understanding no kits are sold in Australia, only "ready to fly" aircraft.

I also don't know of any being fitted with the Jab engine......most, if not all, have the Rotax.

An optioned up aircraft with the Dynon "Skyview" package and injected engine would be very reasonable I would have thought for $120K or so....

My Foxbat has the Skyview/912ULS.

http://www.foxbat.com.au

With the standard 912 and steam gauges (though I look at puter screens all day my brain cannot decipher EFIS displays for some reason) it's about $100k fly away. So more bikkies than a Jab 160 but at the time I bought my FB it seemed that the average life of a Jab engine was about 300 hours whereas a well looked after a Rotax would commonly reach its 2000 hour TBO. Factor in the replacement engine and the price difference goes away. Different kind of aeroplane too - not quite as slippery but gets in and out of more places and a lot of fun when low and slow.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So among the already flying australian registered foxbats aare most of them 450kg mtow? Is the current LS model stronger built than the older planes?

So among the already flying australian registered foxbats aare most of them 450kg mtow? Is the current LS model stronger built than the older planes?

Most of the Foxbat's I'm aware of are 600kilo versions. There are some reports of weak front legs but under training conditions all sorts of things can/do happen.

I've got the larger tyres which use a different front strut/leg than standard.

It looks plenty strong to me. Not sure about the older versions.

When landing you can virtually slow to walking pace before the front drops onto the wheel.

You would have to be seriously "throwing" it down to damage it.

So what would a Foxbat with floats be worth? & where would you be able to get the training for it? anyone know?David

Prices used to be on the website at www.foxbat.com.au and I think the float version was about $20K dearer. Exchange rate variation will affect all these things.

Foxbat float training was/is available at Snowy Mountain aviation, Cooma, NSW. http://snowyaviation.com/index.htm. That would be a nice place to spend some time training.

Cheers,

BF

Just a query, out of curiousity really, for other FB owners out there: To get mine laterally trimmed nicely for operation without a PAX I need a hefty downward deflection of the aileron trim tab....haven't measured it but it looks to be about 45 deg. That results in not too much side pressure on the stick with or without a PAX. But it seems a lot of deflection...what do others find ? I do wish there was an in-flight aileron trim available.

Yeah, I generally try to use the left tank as much as possible to give it a bit more balance......(one up)

I find a number of variables combine to produce a slight roll (hands off)

Wind direction and strength seem to have a major effect but I haven't fully worked it out......

Got the yokes, so it's not too bad to handle.

• 2 weeks later...
I need a hefty downward deflection of the aileron trim tab

Because of the wide cockpit, the FoxBat is a little susceptible to rolling left when flown one up.

When added to the yawing left effect from the prop, it starts to feel noticeable.

The reality is, you need to check the ball, and maybe add a little right rudder trim......

Foxbat Instructor.....072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

ps, remember that the fuel return system goes back to the right tank, so be careful with full tanks and follow the fuel management guide in the POH.

Because of the wide cockpit, the FoxBat is a little susceptible to rolling left when flown one up.When added to the yawing left effect from the prop, it starts to feel noticeable.

The reality is, you need to check the ball, and maybe add a little right rudder trim......

ps, remember that the fuel return system goes back to the right tank, so be careful with full tanks and follow the fuel management guide in the POH.

Thanks for that. I do ride the right rudder one up.

Because of the wide cockpit, the FoxBat is a little susceptible to rolling left when flown one up.When added to the yawing left effect from the prop, it starts to feel noticeable.

Small note of clarification - Some but not all early A22L Foxbats had return lines to the RH tank. No A22LS (Light Sport version) has a return line - EXCEPT those with a 912iS injection engine, which have two return lines - one to each tank. Yes, read the POH for your aircraft!