Possible "scam"

Russ

I am Hajia Aminatu Majid of Nigeria and I must protest this scandalous thread and will not now share the secret with you of the $16,500,000 that my uncle deposited in a bank account for safe keeping but has now tragically died in a plane crash.

• Haha 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine just came back from a visit to Nigeria (he is oz) reckons a lot of them just sit about in the parks all day. He thought they were bludging but I reckon they were probably hard at work with their laptops trying to buy aircraft and cars of foreigners.

(hmm, wonder if they buy Indonesian fishing boats)

• Like 1

I understand that pensioners here ( although you can't live on it) are in the top few percent of money earners on the planet. That logic doesn't seem to work though, as you can exist in some places on practically nothing, and we consume a enormous amount. I think we chuck out about 8 tonnes of garbage each in a year. Dreadful really. nev

• Agree 2

I heard a good line that applies to both Google and News Corp:"All the latest news, straight from your phone......"

Google are using readers (algorithms) to harvest information from your emails.

News Corp of course had their little hiccup with hacking phone accounts in the UK.

Not a bad price to pay considering what you get. I get the convenience of an email account I can use anywhere on earth, free, with a top notch spam filter. They get to harvest information from my emails which automatically delivers targeted advertising at me (discreetly) and probably used in analytics along with billions of other emails to improve their business strategies. This doesn't bother me.

Not a bad price to pay considering what you get. I get the convenience of an email account I can use anywhere on earth, free, with a top notch spam filter. They get to harvest information from my emails which automatically delivers targeted advertising at me (discreetly) and probably used in analytics along with billions of other emails to improve their business strategies. This doesn't bother me.

If you think it is too good to be true, it probably is.

I'd suggest paying for a webmail account.

dodo

Ladies and gents, this happened in the UK, but I'm sure it won't be long until it gets here... simple and easily missed if you don't think it through.

Scam: an email arrives, (supposedly from some courier or freight company) saying that there is a problem with the post-code on the address label, and a package cannot be delivered. The email then goes on to say that because the package has to be held by the company, a daily charge needs to be paid before it will be delivered.

Think! How many packages are sent with the receiver's email address on them? Not many I reckon... so how do they know how to email you? There would be more chance of a phone number, but failing that, it shouldn't take much to track a phone number down with teh rest of the name and address details on any genuine package. Another give away... Ask yourself, have I ordered anything recently? If the answer is no, it may be a scam. The other big give-away was no salutation by name in the email, just the message.

OK, I'm going back to my oil-rig... I'm getting sent there by Western Union... can someone send me $1,000,000 so I can get my passport forwarded on to me?

So are you categorically stating that there isn't actual "sexy hot woman waiting to have sex with me tonight"?

No, but if you want to know which email is the genuine one, just send me $50 and I'll tell you.

Thanks Nev, I'll let you know if I ever get off the ground.

Somewhere there will be. It is just a matter of price and quality. Like aeroplanes you get what you pay for. Being of scotch decent and frugal I have never directly paid for it but you will one way or another. Nev

Such wisdom from one so young?

Another scammer at work on RAA ads.

Hello,

How are you, my name is Capt:Martin Kennedy, i come across your business advert on internet and it really attract me to inform you that I have a good business opportunity to invest in your country, kindly get back for more detail

Hello,

How are you, my name is Capt:Martin Kennedy, i come across your business advert on internet and it really attract me to inform you that I have a good business opportunity to invest in your country, kindly get back for more detail

Really sounds like good English that matches that good English name too .... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hello,

I received the same scram on Friday and just for a laugh replied asking for more info:yelrotflmao:

He replied last night -

"Thanks for your prompt reply to my request; it seems to me that you are a very sincere person, am interested in investing in your business and I want to use this opportunity to tell you my business plan.

I am a Major with the United Nations troop presently in Syria but formally in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision, withdrawing troops from Iraq. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on war against terrorism. On the other hand I want to inform you that i have in my possession the sum of (7.2 million U.S.D) which was recovered on one of our raids in a terrorist Camp in Baghdad but we did not submit all the money to the military authorities, because we seeing it as life time opportunity, And I have my share kept safely in a box and I deposited this money with a Red Cross agent informing them that we are making contact for the real owner of the box. It is under my power to approve whoever that comes forth for this box.

I want to invest this money in your country, in real estate or any other profitable business as soon as i retire from my job, and I will seek for your advice on that, since i am not a business culture person, that is why I have contacted you for assistance to get this project completed in good faith, so I need someone I could trust to channel this box money. If you accept I will move the box money to you, where you will be the beneficiary, I am a uniformed person and I can’t be parading with such an amount, I am an American and an intelligence officer, so I have a 100% authentic means of moving the box money to you, through a diplomatic courier service. I just need your acceptance and all is done.

Please if you are interested in this transaction let me know so that I can give you all the complete details we need for us to carry out this deal successfully, I decided to find someone that is real and not an imaginary that is why I went for a secured site where i can be sure that the person is for real and not an imaginary, can I trust you?. Where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which is much secured so nobody can monitor our conversations, then I can explain in details to you, at the moment I can only reach you through e-mail, because our calls might be monitored by high officials here, I just have to be sure of whom I am dealing with. I will give you 30% of the sum and 70% for me. i hope am been fair on this deal, kindly get back to me with your full information such as:

1) Your Full Name,

2) Your Full Address,

3) Your Direct Cell Phone Number,

4) Your Occupation & Age.

If you are interested please send me your personal details for further information, now i am writing from a fresh email account, so if you are not interested do not reply to this e-mail and please delete this message, if no response after some time I will then search for someone else. I wait for your contact details for us to go on.

Yours Sincerely,

Capt: Martin Kennedy

Syria Military Base"

If you do a search for his email address he is a very busy boy!

• 1 month later...

It's funny to abuse the crap out of them, they auto reply back with something positive.

Then there is the die-hard manual scammer, you tell them its a scam, show them examples of scams, abuse them, explain how its a scam and they still try to convince you its legit.

Guest Andys@coffs

As a commercial manager we have a saying "Commercial people prepare for and expect the worst of others and occasionally are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't eventuate."

If you approach online transactions in that way you'll generally not get ripped off