Jabs new prop

Russ

I have had one on my factory built J170 for about 5 months, I have flown around 35 hours on it and I could not be more pleased with it. The factory say about 3-5 kts speed increase, mine is nearer the upper end. I am told they resist rain very well, and the engine seems to run more smoothly.

The cost of the prop is about the same as a wooden one ($1500) but you have to buy a new spinner and backplate ($300)

The prop is made from black fibreglass, and looks great.

Are they 2 or 3 bladers ??

So.......a few $$$ under 2k, finished.

Was actually going to get a kiwi prop, ( Thompson ) wooden, reports say REALLY good, but the business has just changed hands, so new builder is unknown re quality /

Etc etc, pity. Thompson, added a touch more pitch, giving better cruise by about 6....8 kts min. Cost $1000 plus freight.

Had mine for a few weeks now and am very impressed.

Standard setting is 53 pitch as opposed to the original at 54

Really notice the difference on climb and gives a few extra knots.

No rain damage and less stone problems is a bonus.

Highly recommend

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

you are right - Brent Thompson has just sold his prop-making business to Bill Izard but will still be involved while Bill relocates the business to Te Awamutu. If your Jab is required to have a wooden prop then a Thompson prop will deliver better performance than your Jab one (Sweetapple?) Everyone I know of that has fitted a Thompson prop t0 replace what they had before has acquired better performance - that includes me who replaced a Woodcomp constant-speed 3-blader with one of Brents creations - climb rate was down a bit (as you would expect) but top end went from 105kts to 117kts.

Guest steve-nz

Personally, found the Brent Thompson props to be extremely well made, he made one for my Jabiru, easy got another 5 knots, smoother running as well.

Ok...............the "blade" is made by Bolly, to jab specs / design. That profile is "owned" by jab. They bolt them to their own hubs. They ARE NOT certified by jab, hence they cannot be fitted to a certified machine..............legally.

Thompsons, and the rest, are all not certified by jab to be used on 24 reg machines. Am told, getting other makers props certified to fit on jabs is simply too hard, too expensive. Expensive, being the biggest hurdle.

So if you're going to change your prop, make sure you tell em, it's a 19 reg machine......or whatever. When it comes to a ramp check, now that could be interesting.

• Informative 1

Ok...............the "blade" is made by Bolly, to jab specs / design. That profile is "owned" by jab. They bolt them to their own hubs. They ARE NOT certified by jab, hence they cannot be fitted to a certified machine..............legally.Thompsons, and the rest, are all not certified by jab to be used on 24 reg machines. Am told, getting other makers props certified to fit on jabs is simply too hard, too expensive. Expensive, being the biggest hurdle.

So if you're going to change your prop, make sure you tell em, it's a 19 reg machine......or whatever. When it comes to a ramp check, now that could be interesting.

I find the above comments strange, especially after recently puchasing one from Jab.

Also notified RAAus of the change, serial number etc. when re registering. Must be OK!

Mine is for a 230, so dont know about the 160 or 170.

• Informative 2

Personally I would be sticking to a wood prop on the four cylinder engines. the NZ prop appealed to me. I was surprised when the Sensenich showed some signs of stress near the hub. They are a good prop. Some of the performance gains are a repitching. Ie if it climbs slowly( Low revs which doesn't let the engine deliver the power it is rated at) but cruises fast(er) (IAS) it is overpitched. You may like it that way. it would seem the original Jab wood prop is not too accurate dimensionally from some comments over the years. There's nothing safer than a two blade wooden prop. Nev

There are currently 3 "approved" props now available for fitting to 24 reg LSA from Jabiru [i don't know about J170C as referred to by Russ - if he got it from the factory then I have no doubt that is correct] -

1. Standard wood as fitted on factory built.

2. An option of a Sensenich prop - the couple I have seen are a finer pitch [on J230s] giving better take off performance with a reduced cruise speed for the same power setting [as would be expected - indiviuals choise].

3. The new one referred to above, I have only seen not flown. It is ground adjustable but the pitch is locked by the factory at the preferred setting [at least for LSA approved ones].

All 3 options are "manfacturer approved"

Hope that makes it clearer, obviously if you are in the market for one - ring the factory and not rely on what I have said as if what Russ has said, and he got it from the factory, then that would be correct. It dosen't sound correct to me as a friend has recently purchased a new prop as mentioned in 3 for his J170 from the factory - and I think it is a C model, 24 registered and used in a flying school.

19 registered of course in a hole different ball game and I have no comment.

• Informative 1

Hi Russ,

J160C cannot use the Composite prop, only wooden propellor. Cost $1500 inc. GST

Regards,

deleted........name

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, 22 October 2013 8:10 AM

To: Jabiru Spares Accounts

Subject: Cost

Cost please for complete prop assy suit jab 160c, your composite prop please. Currently using your wooden one.

Thanks.......Russ

Yes, they cannot be used on the J160C due to the CASA type certificate. J160C is a certified aircraft so to make changes to the standard build, CAR35 engineering release need to be done.

Composite blades are not standard on J160C aircraft.

Regards,

deleted....name