Bydanjohnson Rumours About A New Pipestrel Trainer

mnewbery

It is only the last 20% where charging slows and it is not linear. 90-100% is only worth it if you are heading off on a long trip. 40% of our energy is now coming from renewables during the day and this is increasing all the time. Eventually it will be 100%. We are in a transition phase and that will continue for some years but eventually all the fossil fuelled electricity generation will disappear.

The poor public EV charging infrastucture in Australia is amost entirely due to the previous LNP governments head in the sand attitude. It is improving though and new charging stations are planned for the outback with the installation of a large battery charged by  stand alone solar. The cost to set up is tiny compared to a fossil fuel service station that requires a lot of energy to operate and needs to have the fuel delivered hundreds or thousands of kilometres by huge fuel hungry tankers. NSW has a EV destination policy and is providing grants for installation of chargers.

In 2022 EV sales were only 1.8% of all new cars sold. By the end of September the figure had more than quadrupled to 9% and is increasing. More EVs were sold by the end of May than in the whole of 2022. EVs are expensive but the entry level is now close to the cost of the same size ICE vehicle.

I am off to Noosa next week, a 550km drive. I'll leave with 100% charge & have the choice of a quite a few chargers on the Pacific highway. Apps tell me if they are busy or not & I'll take a 30 minute break while the battery tops up at a fast charger. I'll get to Noosa in about the same time it took in my ICE car.

My old car that I bought new was 12 years old with 225k on the clock so it was time for a replacement. My choice to go for an EV was based on my lifestyle of travel and a desire to be part of the solution rather than continue the problem.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, kgwilson said:

It is only the last 20% where charging slows and it is not linear. 90-100% is only worth it if you are heading off on a long trip. 40% of our energy is now coming from renewables during the day and this is increasing all the time. Eventually it will be 100%. We are in a transition phase and that will continue for some years but eventually all the fossil fuelled electricity generation will disappear.

The poor public EV charging infrastucture in Australia is amost entirely due to the previous LNP governments head in the sand attitude. It is improving though and new charging stations are planned for the outback with the installation of a large battery charged by  stand alone solar. The cost to set up is tiny compared to a fossil fuel service station that requires a lot of energy to operate and needs to have the fuel delivered hundreds or thousands of kilometres by huge fuel hungry tankers. NSW has a EV destination policy and is providing grants for installation of chargers.

In 2022 EV sales were only 1.8% of all new cars sold. By the end of September the figure had more than quadrupled to 9% and is increasing. More EVs were sold by the end of May than in the whole of 2022. EVs are expensive but the entry level is now close to the cost of the same size ICE vehicle.

I am off to Noosa next week, a 550km drive. I'll leave with 100% charge & have the choice of a quite a few chargers on the Pacific highway. Apps tell me if they are busy or not & I'll take a 30 minute break while the battery tops up at a fast charger. I'll get to Noosa in about the same time it took in my ICE car.

My old car that I bought new was 12 years old with 225k on the clock so it was time for a replacement. My choice to go for an EV was based on my lifestyle of travel and a desire to be part of the solution rather than continue the problem.

Well you are not part of the solution yet. The only way electric makes sense to me is if we have nuclear power which is the answer for Australia but the same Greenies rabbiting on about getting rid of fossil fuels are also against nuclear power.

• Informative 1

The communist government of Victoria is banning gas in Vic but are happy to sell our gas overseas and we are getting rid of coal fired power stations yet selling millions of tons of our coal to Japan and China . Does not make any sense. 

• Agree 1

Do the Math's on Nuclear. For AUS particularly IT makes no sense. It's about 10 times the cost of solar or wind (at least) which we have plenty of. Pump hydro or batteries are for backup. Flexible. and quick 

Old coal fired Power stations fail suddenly on high load generally and where are the Parts? Vic is mostly Brown coal. The worst of all. Latrobe valley  was set up at a time when we didn't talk/know of climate change and Melbourne warmed with Briquette Heaters that formed London like FOG closing Essendon till late morning. We used to land at Mangalore and bus pax to Melbourne regularly..."COMMUNIST Gov't of Victoria? Elected by the People. Really.  Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Nuclear power stations are also extremely environmentally unfriendly to build, take up to 10 years and while operating costs are low once running, take many years to recoup the initial capital cost which is in the $billions. Australia has more sun than anywhere else on earth and it is free. Making the most of it is blindingly obvious. We have the most and fastest uptake of rooftop solar on earth so even the general public are beginning to understand

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Do the Math's on Nuclear. For AUS particularly IT makes no sense. It's about 10 times the cost of solar or wind (at least) which we have plenty of. Pump hydro or batteries are for backup. Flexible. and quick 

Old coal fired Power stations fail suddenly on high load generally and where are the Parts? Vic is mostly Brown coal. The worst of all. Latrobe valley  was set up at a time when we didn't talk/know of climate change and Melbourne warmed with Briquette Heaters that formed London like FOG closing Essendon till late morning. We used to land at Mangalore and bus pax to Melbourne regularly..."COMMUNIST Gov't of Victoria? Elected by the People. Really.  Nev

I know you get upset being a staunch Andrews/ Allan supporter . They are certainly the closest thing to a communist government Victoria has ever seen.  Nuclear power technology is advancing as well and it will get more cost effective and safer. We have the perfect environment for it. Stable earth and a peaceful country. Solar and wind are useless for industry.  Global warming is just another green scare campaign like the hole in the ozone layer and other things over the years.

• Caution 3

I just get sick of the constant attacks he has had to put up with. He's a bit nerdy but so what? IF you believe your last sentence, I can't help you. My education background is science based and I believe we are entering a crisis that will affect us all in a way that will DWARF all other issues we have or are likely to.  Nev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I just get sick of the constant attacks he has had to put up with. He's a bit nerdy but so what? IF you believe your last sentence, I can't help you. My education background is science based and I believe we are entering a crisis that will affect us all in a way that will DWARF all other issues we have or are likely to.  Nev.

Then you should use your education background to find out about the corruption that occurred within the United Nations around 1968, the invention of crisis events and the invention of global warming. 

• Caution 1

33 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Nuclear power stations are also extremely environmentally unfriendly to build, take up to 10 years and while operating costs are low once running, take many years to recoup the initial capital cost which is in the $billions. Australia has more sun than anywhere else on earth and it is free. Making the most of it is blindingly obvious. We have the most and fastest uptake of rooftop solar on earth so even the general public are beginning to understand

the problem is now that our lousy government has allowed the power companies to do 2 things.

1. Reduce the rebate from solar panels going back into the grid from $0.30 down to 0 cents or at best $0.05 per kilowatt hour
  2. increase the meter charges if you have a solar panel system on your roof. They have increased the meter charges by about $1.50 per day completely negating what your solar panels can put in at $0.05 per kilowatt hour

we have been sold this fantastic idea of putting solar panels on your roof and having the ability to pay everything off in 5 or 10 years depending on where you are located. They then change all of the rules in cooperation with the power companies so now I am a power generator/provider for the power companies. I am generating electricity for them for which they are paying me $0.05 per kilowatt which is negated by the increase in the meter charges so I am giving them dozens of kilowatt hours per day for nothing and they are happily selling that power for $0.40 per kilowatt hour.

There really should be a Royal Commission into this because it is theft on a grand scale.  They should lock in the pricing that they offered when they sold us the solar systems

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Change the MOB you are dealing with. Who is it?  There's a few I would never trust. Nev

they are all the same regardless of the energy provider. Agl has a solar saver program that gives you $0.15 per kilowatt limited to 10 kW per day so basically this is $1.50 but there solar meter charge on this plan is also more expensive than it is on any other plan so you are effectively getting back to your $0.05 per kilowatt. It is all smoke and mirrors intended to confuse people especially people that don't understand electricity.

I have this in writing from agl when I asked them why the plan I am on and the meter charge is only and (I'm using guesstimates here because I don't remember exactly) $1.00 per day but on the solar saver's plan it was $1.50 per day for the exact same meter. The answer was that because power was travelling both ways through the meter that it would wear out quicker and need to be replaced earlier and that is why they have to charge extra for the meter if you are getting $0.15 per kilowatt hour than you would be getting with $0.05 per kilowatt hour. I emailed the consultant back asking her more questions about this and she proudly told me how she had just come back from training and this is what they were told if anybody ever asked about the different metre charges. ?

These people should not be allowed to reproduce !

Pretty Grim. Your best action is to try to use as much of your own energy as you can. Like with a heat pump for your hot water or charge your electric car. There is an overproduction sometimes on the system which it can't absorb and the input has to be shed. A community battery would change that. Those sorts of things will come as they make economic sense.  Nev

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Then you should use your education background to find out about the corruption that occurred within the United Nations around 1968, the invention of crisis events and the invention of global warming. 

About the result I expected.

It's sad that some people just will not check for the facts just sitting there.

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

There's a lot of information been  revealed since 1968.  Nev

Yes, a lot of information has been revealed since 1968.

...and not all of it is as true as it was in the days of Camelot, so I'll see what I can find.

The statistics since the industrial revolution are irrefutable and the climate and weather changes are what science is telling us is happening over time. Deniers love th cherry pick individual events to prove their point. Every one is debunked.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Nev . Andrews had to resign, the walls were closing in on him. He knew could not get with not answering any questions for much longer. Notice the new integrity office labour have formed to keep an eye on government is not retrospective, Andrews can't be brought to justice.   Teflon dan once again.  Remember Al Gore jetsetting around the world spreading the word on global warming . He did absolutely nothing to reduce his own carbon footprint yet was telling everyone else they had too. I just don't know if it's true or not. Too much crap gets spread to suit the green agenda.

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Pretty Grim. Your best action is to try to use as much of your own energy as you can. Like with a heat pump for your hot water or charge your electric car. There is an overproduction sometimes on the system which it can't absorb and the input has to be shed. A community battery would change that. Those sorts of things will come as they make economic sense.  Nev

We agree on this but industry is the big problem . Do we go solar and wind and just close down factories.