Bydanjohnson Rumours About A New Pipestrel Trainer

mnewbery

Solar is the cheapest and it's nuclear (from the sun and we get it anyhow and  near infinite. Baseload has no meaning. What we need is flexibility and reliability. The grid is costly and subject to weather created failures whatever your sources of supply. Above ground is by far the cheapest way to transmit power but perhaps we could have several smaller grids. We  need to be organised as in all things. Solar and wind get cheaper as the alternatives get more expensive. Aluminium Magnesium and copper all need lots of electricity to refine them. Recycling will play a big part in our future. We can't keep on wasting stuff and polluting Oceans and Landfill. My Grandfather died of silicosis at a relatively young age from working in a Coal mine. I also worked at Newbold's General Refractories making silica fire bricks for the BHP Blast furnaces where I was told 5 years would kill me. This is the Only FFing planet we Have. There is NO PLANet B.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's not off topic

If it saves the pale blue dot we live on.

Would a pilot accept "the earth is flat"?

It is only political because some have vested interests or it offends their world view.

Science and earth don't give a damn for opinions.

Keep going Phil

• Like 2

Perhaps a moderator could change the title of this thread to “Which is the best colour, purple or orange”, because the conversation is about as meaningful. No one is going to change their opinion, regardless of what is said, so what’s the point of keeping on saying it? I keep coming back to the thread to see if there is anything more on the electric Pipistrelle, but alas, no…

Of course, everyone knows that purple is better. The yellow supporters are clearly mindless morons! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That last video has a really good interview and look at the pipistrel e and the Swedish town where they are based is on fully green power so obviously it can be done without heavy industry needing to share the power.

1 hour ago, sfGnome said:

Perhaps a moderator could change the title of this thread to “Which is the best colour, purple or orange”, because the conversation is about as meaningful. No one is going to change their opinion, regardless of what is said, so what’s the point of keeping on saying it? I keep coming back to the thread to see if there is anything more on the electric Pipistrelle, but alas, no…

Of course, everyone knows that purple is better. The yellow supporters are clearly mindless morons! 😛

Did you miss the latest video

In the above vid the Pipistrel alpha electric is just one of three aircraft in their fleet, it probably flies about 10% of the total hours towards a commercial pilots license. At the end Mentor Pilot points out that until there is a quantum leap in battery not much will change in aviation. Cars are completely different and very successful right now.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

In the above vid the Pipistrel alpha electric is just one of three aircraft in their fleet, it probably flies about 10% of the total hours towards a commercial pilots license. At the end Mentor Pilot points out that until there is a quantum leap in battery not much will change in aviation. Cars are completely different and very successful right now.

The cfi in the video said the flight time is long enough for 1 lesson but no time to go out further and practice extra turns or anything. And the battery packs are 70 kg. So it's carrying 2 people before anyone gets in it.

• Informative 1

The Pipistrel has 2 70kg battery  packs that have the same energy as about 14L of petrol.  It gets even worse for turbine aircraft.  For a fully fuel Airtractor 802 the battery pack would have to wiegh about 8 tons.  That is not going  to fly.

it’s interesting that Aero 2023 at Friedrichshafen had a number of electric/hydrogen retrofits into existing airframes. To an extent this is a similar development timeline to the advent of electric cars, with hybrids and early EVs simply being retrofits rather than clean sheet design. We are now only beginning to see new modular designs to better exploit new technology.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/july/pilot/industry-aeros-crystal-ball

i mentioned previously the E22 Spark being developed in Australia by Infinitus Aero.

https://infinitus.aero/

This is another retrofit design and I await the relative performance of this vs the Pipistrel.

The CEO of Infinitus will be known to many on here.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1