Why do i need an instructor

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed well said m61A1! I can think if many a person where a ir has done nothing for their teaching abilities. But there is certainly a reason as to why pilots with no training are not allowed to instruct like our faithful driving instructors.

In the beginning there was no instructors and some made it ,so no you don't need an instructor at all

That's the point " some " made it - now most make it. Formal instruction has been the greatest contributor to safety in ultralight aviation, please prove otherwise.

As to the quality of instruction some are teachers other instructors, there is a huge difference. Just like people in every facet of life, some are born to it, some adapt to and some should never do it.... We get all sorts as does every facet of instruction.

• Agree 1

We'll put ballpoint ,I did get away with teaching myself to fly a hang glider many many years ago ,not recommending it though

I'm guessing you made it through the natural selection process then.

It's not popular these days, but I don't think we do enough in society to encourage natural selection.

• Haha 2

Yes, well we are all monkeys come down from te trees, so its safe to say we have learned a lot with out teachers ay? Is that any sort of argument that we don't need them?

My comments in regard to natural selection are not necessarily in relation to this topic, but yes, I would say that we don't "need " teachers/instructors, but a wise person would most likely use one(if available) so that they may learn from the experiences others, thus reducing your own risk. When I say don't "need", I'm not suggesting that they are a bad idea, just that it is not absolutely necessary (other than legally). I would just like to see the option available.

The "you can't do that" brigade just get " grind my gears" so to speak, but it doesn't mean I'm going to recklessly kill or injure myself to prove them wrong.

There are a lot of sayings I have heard in aviation, the one that relates here is,

Learn from other peoples mistakes as you won't live long learning from your own mistakes !

• Agree 1

Plus try instructing and having people try to kill you day in and day out ...

If you are an instructor - you are doing something seriously wrong !

John

Motz ............... or any instructor

Of the 3 personality types you mention (assuming that is true) (over confident, under confident, and anti authority) ................. be great to hear some instructor experiences about what its like to teach the 3 types to fly

Rope, stockwhip, 12 gauge

You've done it now.....I'm crossing you off my instructors list.

Some of the instructors I've met probably wish they could use those things.

Those same instructors would do well to remember that people are paying for your service. While we Are aware that there's not much money being made in the industry, it's still expensive to the student who has to work around 6-8 hrs to pay for every hour of instruction.

While I am generally "anti-authority", when someone wants me to do/ or not do something, a simple explanation usually works well, whether it's " the laws of physics will try to kill you" ( accompanied by brief demo), or simply " because that's how I want you to do it, and I won't pass you until you do".

• Caution 1

Motz ............... or any instructorOf the 3 personality types you mention (assuming that is true) (over confident, under confident, and anti authority) ................. be great to hear some instructor experiences about what its like to teach the 3 types to fly

It should be noted there is at least one other personality type apart from those three, and that is the person that comes to you with no preconceived ideas, who listens and applies themselves and learns without making the same mistakes over and over again. These people are like a breath of fresh air and are a joy to instruct.

• Helpful 1

It should be noted there is at least one other personality type apart from those three, and that is the person that comes to you with no preconceived ideas, who listens and applies themselves and learns without making the same mistakes over and over again. These people are like a breath of fresh air and are a joy to instruct.

I've not met anyone over the age of about four who doesn't have any preconceived ideas, but I have met some people who can accurately reproduce anything they are shown......I envy those people.

I would be fairly sure I may have frustrated my instructor/s at times, but I can honestly say it's not because I wasn't trying my hardest. It's genuinely frustrating for the student as well.

I've not met anyone over the age of about four who doesn't have any preconceived ideas

Preconceived ideas about flying is what I meant as I hoped most people would guess, some are so convinced they know what to do I find myself wondering why they bothered with an instructor.

Preconceived ideas about flying is what I meant as I hoped most people would guess, some are so convinced they know what to do I find myself wondering why they bothered with an instructor.

Ok, I am getting what you mean, but generally, a lot of RAA student pilots have had the "dream" for a long time, I would've thought that if you've wanted to fly, you would have to have some preconceptions.

Of all the personality types, the anti authority is the one most likely to cause problems for themselves later on. They will happily demonstrate good flying and judgment while training, all the while thinking " I can't wait till I'm free to do what I like, I'm pretty sh1t hot at this flying caper, this bloke with his measly 4-5 thousand hours instru ring hasn't met anybody like me before. " these are the guys that end up in the funny pages. Luckily some of us that didnt come down in te last shower are pretty good at picking up on the signs;)

I would hope that with age, I've learned to temper it somewhat. I just enough about the art of flying to know that I really don't know much, but I am working on it continually.

Actually, I would like to believe that my "anti-authority" stance is just being sick and tired of rules for no reason (or rules made because someone went to Current Affair after hurting themselves, crying that it wasn't their fault). The laws of physics on the other hand, must be respected absolutely.

Of all the personality types, the anti authority is the one most likely to cause problems for themselves later on. They will happily demonstrate good flying and judgment while training, all the while thinking " I can't wait till I'm free to do what I like, I'm pretty sh1t hot at this flying caper, this bloke with his measly 4-5 thousand hours instru ring hasn't met anybody like me before. " these are the guys that end up in the funny pages. Luckily some of us that didnt come down in te last shower are pretty good at picking up on the signs;)

Yes and that is why the 12 gauge solution has been mentioned.

Ok, I am getting what you mean, but generally, a lot of RAA student pilots have had the "dream" for a long time, I would've thought that if you've wanted to fly, you would have to have some preconceptions.

True but if you are open to suggestion from the instructor then the training process works so much better.

• Agree 1

Yes and that is why the 12 gauge solution has been mentioned.

Unfortunately the 12 gauge approach only serves to build resentment.....I don't know if Motz really believes I would be the anti- authority.....but if I am, then here's a good chance to get inside my head & see if you can figure out how to work it.

From my approach, there needs to be a reason why. Maybe that's why the approach of one instructor I dealt with (but one who seemed to cop a bit of flack for his approach) works, because he will tell you how and why,what you're doing will kill you.

Just saying "you can't do that", is like a challenge.

Unfortunately the 12 gauge approach only serves to build resentment.....I don't know if Motz really believes I would be the anti- authority.....but if I am, then here's a good chance to get inside my head & see if you can figure out how to work it.From my approach, there needs to be a reason why. Maybe that's why the approach of one instructor I dealt with (but one who seemed to cop a bit of flack for his approach) works, because he will tell you how and why,what you're doing will kill you.

Just saying "you can't do that", is like a challenge.

The 12 gauge thing was a joke but it is indicative of the difficulty in dealing with those type of attitudes. Most people are anti- authority to some extent but moderation is the key to success, you can tell someone not to do something and why it is a bad idea but once they have their ticket, if they still think they know better there is nothing you can do. Flying at night, in cloud, doing beat ups and those type of activities are deadly things to do but some will not be told and insist on killing themselves in that manner which causes problems for those who do the right thing.

The 12 gauge thing was a joke but it is indicative of the difficulty in dealing with those type of attitudes. Most people are anti- authority to some extent but moderation is the key to success, you can tell someone not to do something and why it is a bad idea but once they have their ticket, if they still think they know better there is nothing you can do. Flying at night, in cloud, doing beat ups and those type of activities are deadly things to do but some will not be told and insist on killing themselves in that manner which causes problems for those who do the right thing.

I was taking the 12 gauge thing as metaphorical, as a way to approach the type.