Why do i need an instructor

I do have one of these on my old flight suit-

Funny to see people look closely then pull back when they realise just what it is.

Although, at this stage, I wouldn't make a bush pilot's A**ehole......maybe in time

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like people's opinion of what makes an instructor is a long, long way from the truth!RA-Aus Instructors only need 75 hours and to have passed a simple instructors course in order to instruct. That's probably a lot less than most people would consider "experienced". Any kid of 18 with 75 hours flying time can instruct RA-Aus.

GA is a bit different as they need their 150-200 hours and a CPL prior to getting the instructors rating.

What you mention is actually what is occurring in RA-Aus.

My first TIF at bankstown was from an 18yo P plater - come from a family of pilots, dad, grandad etc

Looking back, he was a very capable and thorough pilot - made me follow all the per flight check, topped up coolant and oil, check all things worked (took about 15mins) and then flew a very enjoyable victor 1

Nothing wrong with some of these young blokes

• Agree 3

Agree. Generalisations can be misleading. If there are people dressing up and spending too much time in front of the mirror I've probably missed it. Looking back when I resembled these young people, I reckon a hell of a lot was expected of them. You didn't refuse any task set for you by the CFI.( I don't mean fly through thunderstorms). the training was rigorous and everybody knew it, so unless the guy/lady was a complete clown, the position was respected. It's later in your career when you start to doubt the sanity of some who are in high office.

That thing you posted U/L's is a classic It's been around for a while...Nev

• 2 weeks later...
I do have to ask the question of what airliner captains are left with when ultralight instructors are sporting 3 gold bars?

They can get a nice cap with some "scrambled egg" on the peak.

• Haha 1

Where are these alleged RA gold bar wearers, i think we should hold a fly in there and tear the strips off them, give them a slap and then all get on a few beers for a laugh..... I find this hilariass that they would be sporting the bars

GA instructors don't only have to have a CPL their instructor rating course is 50hour of flying. wish means that they need a minimum of 200 hours.

As well as this the standards for a GA instructor rating is much higher than a RA Aus instructor rating.

from my experience it isn't the GA instructors you need to be worried about it is the RA Aus ones.

I have a feeling some people forget how bad they were when they first started learning to fly.

Plus try instructing and having people try to kill you day in and day out before you start saying teaching someone to fly is an easy job.

I'm sure a PC could teach someone to fly but teach them to fly well that is a diferent story

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

As well as this the standards for a GA instructor rating is much higher than a RA Aus instructor rating.

That probably explains the mass exodus away from RAA into GA schools, and the RAA schools closing down while GA schools keep popping up all over the place. Oh wait,... No ive got that wrong..Sorry, my bad.. Its the opposite isnt it.. GA schools are all but extinct.. Those "much higher" standards i spose..:) Welcome to the RAA forum by the way.. Are you an instructor?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

GA instructors don't only have to have a CPL their instructor rating course is 50hour of flying. wish means that they need a minimum of 200 hours.As well as this the standards for a GA instructor rating is much higher than a RA Aus instructor rating.

from my experience it isn't the GA instructors you need to be worried about it is the RA Aus ones.

I have a feeling some people forget how bad they were when they first started learning to fly.

Plus try instructing and having people try to kill you day in and day out before you start saying teaching someone to fly is an easy job.

I'm sure a PC could teach someone to fly but teach them to fly well that is a diferent story

Son, you'd be surprised how many instructors are dual RAAus & GA qualified, (Class 1's and CFI's), and that they instruct to exactly the same level - regardless of whether it's a VH or 24 registered aircraft. Clearly, CASA don't share your views - because CASR Part 61 provides fully for recognition of the RAAus PC, and attached endorsements, towards the RPL. If you take out the 20 hrs useless 'mutual' from the GA IR - it's really only a 30 hr rating. happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

GA instructors don't only have to have a CPL their instructor rating course is 50hour of flying. wish means that they need a minimum of 200 hours.As well as this the standards for a GA instructor rating is much higher than a RA Aus instructor rating.

I'm pretty sure this thread is not about the difference between GA & RAA instructors, they both earn their keep, but the difficulty in finding a suitable instructor, and this appears to be harder than it should be, regardless of which bunch you go with.

That's one of my points there is a reason there is an instructor rating.

Any PC can teach someone how to fly like a supervising driver but to teach someone how to fly well, you need at least some training as in a RA or GA instructor rating.

As for the requirements for a pure RA instructor rating that is another can of worms.

I imagine that any instructors watching or involved in this thread may well be taking notes, mental or otherwise, and asking themselves and/or their employees whether or not they are as good as they could be. There seem to be a few issues with how some instructors are perceived. Whether or not these perceptions a real is irrelevant. What is relevant, is what can be done or changed to improve these perceptions?

To teach someone to fly well, needs good instruction from someone capable, not only of flying but relating to various types of student, an instructors rating is not a guarantee of this.

• Agree 2