Why do i need an instructor

I hear similar questions to "Why do I need an instructor" with respect to Uni studies, Ham radio Licence and many more things. Nobody wants to do the hard work - but they want their reward anyway. Sign of the times I guess. Scares me, folks out there with qualifications they never earned. I see it so often, folks who fly but have no idea of the theory and knowledge they are meant to know, folks with degrees but cannot demonstrate any real knowledge. Dumbing down is deadly and is growing rapidly.

• Like 1

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Don't want to go to heaven, because I have met a lot who reckon they are going there, and IF they are, It won't be heaven. I've also worked out that the Virgins must be ugly to be that way, or that is the way they want to be . Either way, No appeal. None of my mates will be there either. Nev

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1

Now that the dust has settledSorry didn't mean to stare WW3

Back to the question

I remember see an interview with Elton John who openly admitted he cannot read Music

I can assure you a good majority of professional musicians have no formal qualifications in Music just experience

Elton john started formal piano lessons at age 7 and was selected for a scholarship to the royal academy of music at age 11. While he could and did play by ear, I can assure you he can read music.

Elton john started formal piano lessons at age 7 and was selected for a scholarship to the royal academy of music at age 11. While he could and did play by ear, I can assure you he can read music.

Once again off the topic to start an augment

And totally irrelevant

It was announced on the letterman show a few years ago Paul Shaffer's reply was you don't have read it to you write it???

I got excepted into a flying school but I cannot fly???

Anyway total irrelevant and not the point

yes, maybe so, but not accurate either..:)

Then why did he state it on Live TV

Ok you win

Remove the word Elton John in the previous post and replace with

Angus Young, Jimi Hendrix, DimeBag Daryl or any other on this page

In the case of these oddball examples you won't be pulling back on the stick but heading straight for the ground.

Get your lessons from a qualified instructor, be professional, to minimise risk and maximise safety.

• Agree 1

Then why did he state it on Live TV

Because he has an image to uphold:). Id be very suspect on several of those from your page aswel. I can personally attest to one of them reading music having worked with him in a former life. :) Dont believe everything you google. :) Its very un rock and roll to read music.

Would you send your kids to learn the piano from someone who couldn't teach them to read music?

I take every person for their own worth. Im sure there are great and terrible instructors on both sides of the fence however i think the real reason for the mass exodus from GA to RA is cost driven. a lycosaurus using 30l plus of avgas VS a Rotax using 12L of petrol is just the start.

You definitely need an instructor because a- you will try and kill yourself early on in the flight training process and your instructor is trained for this and will save your life b- you will try and break the plane, the instructor will ensure you don't c- you are going to ask a lot of questions, your instructor will have the correct answers d- your instructor will ensure you take off into the wind, not with it, and go with the flow and finally e- you will have a new best friend who has saved your arse multiple times for a set rate:drive:

• 4 weeks later...

There are low fuel consumption GA planes, some with Jab engines, some with Rotax, so it is not really fuel cost that makes RAAus attractive. The real costs come with maintenance, when you hire a GA plane you are paying for the LAME to certify the maintenance and also a fair bit of paperwork for the operator of the plane. If you build an experimental GA plane you can do all that work yourself and it will not cost much more than RAAus, in fact if my Corby was GA registered it would be cheaper flying than it is with RAAus rego. No annual rego fees, no annual membership fees and less stuffing around with paperwork.

As far as instructors go you need a good one. The big question is how do you know who is good when you are a student. I have seen some shockers with RAaus and some poor ones with GA, but I have also seen excellent ones in both camps.

I try to not do the bad things my worst instructors did to me. I have never lost my temper with a pupil when was a chalky and never with a student pilot. THEY pay for the privilege and don't deserve to be abused. IF they don't do the homework it takes longer. If they don't make the standard the sequence is not signed off. I can't remember this ever being the end result. Nev