what do you use to clean your aircraft

furio

well it's holiday time again and that means time to clean the plane. other than water what do you guys use to

remove the greasy buildup on the underside of the fuslage that comes from the exhaust. also do you use a water and detergent on all upper and lower surfaces and do you ever use a polish to keep you pride and joy looking 100%.

can anyone make any recommendations.

cheers and happy new year to you all

F

yes use detergent and water to regulary wash the plane and try and polish it once a year with canubra hard wax, I use prepsol to wash the exhaust grime off the undercarriage

I use plexus to clean and polish the canopy .

You have a few planes under your avatar, if you wash a metal plane be sure to use acid neutral detergent as not to cause corrosion, mcguires have a car wash that is acid neutral (not the wash and wax one). To clean under the belly I just use Avgas or petrol on rag then wash, but others may have better ideas.

• Metal aircraft - I use a truckwash detergent and a small pressure cleaner. Only have to hand rub stubborn bugs from leading edges (and then only because I'm not good at cleaning them after each flight) It's also easier than trying to reach across a large wing chord.

Good quality steam cleaners with detergent injection are great on engines airframes and interiors. bit biased as I have been selling them for 12 years now.

Used t use truck wash then bought proper aircraft wash down product'. .?eco2000 I think it I'd called. Expensive but you don't need much ad t makes a big difference. Couldn't believe how much better it was at keeping the paintwork clean and looking shiny. Use soft gel on the canopy then plexus about every two months.

I use a aircraft wash I got it from Reg Brost...it will not corrode alu and makes the paint really shine and its easy to wash...I am away at the moment will be back on saturday so will post what it is...I THINK IT IS MADE BY COBRA AVIATION ITS A AUSTRALIAN MADE STUFF SPECIFICALLY FOR AIRCRAFT..WORKS REALLY WELL

bugger should watch when I type

• Haha 1

I use a car wash and just mains pressure, care needs toy taken with high pressure machines as they can damage stuff ,I use a Perspex cleaner/polish I got from spruce USA . I have been told there's an issue with mr sheen on Perspex but I can't think of what it was

Matty

And baby gets washed every 2-3 weeks depending on the bug population

I use DriWash, a waterless solution which is sprayed on and buffs off. It can be used on aircraft. Just Google DriWash. I have no monetary interest in DriWash, it's what I have used for many years.

Galpin checked on google and would like order some. Was going to order online from US but looks like they don't ship to Australia so you have to buy from Australian distributor. Is this correct and where do you source yours?

I use a car wash and just mains pressure, care needs toy taken with high pressure machines as they can damage stuff ,I use a Perspex cleaner/polish I got from spruce USA . I have been told there's an issue with mr sheen on Perspex but I can't think of what it wasMatty

And baby gets washed every 2-3 weeks depending on the bug population

Wash baby more frequently but be careful what you use......it may cause ' nappy rash '. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Seriously Plexus on any type of plastics, (designed specifically for aircraft windows) I have also found that Spray and Wipe is good on oily surfaces.

Alan.

• Like 1

For my rag and tube airplane: Plexus or similar on transparencies. ArmorAll Multi-Purpose Cleaner sparingly for exhaust stains etc. Mr Sheen otherwise.

You don't use water and detergent on the fabric? Just mr Sheen ? Does it get the bugs off okay? Any reason for no using water like a car ?

Matty

I have been known to use water and detergent. Plus polish. But less often.

Mr Sheen works well for bugs. Been using it for years and years on Pitts.

Don't you use Mr Sheen on your cars? Meguiar’s Quik Detailer too?

I liked the Aeroshell range of cleaning products but no longer available locally.

• Like 2

Re composites, they all say use no silicone washes... easily said but they all contain it

Issue is it can penetrate surface making repairs really hard

Did find some super expensive wax which was silicone free Nyol??

Ive found waterless wash works pretty well on bugs etc

Oil and grease needs solvent like petrol at least for a start.

Galpin checked on google and would like order some. Was going to order online from US but looks like they don't ship to Australia so you have to buy from Australian distributor. Is this correct and where do you source yours?

Try this site:

http://www.driwash.com.au/website/Company/product_waterless_carwash.php

I have not ordered for a few years (shows how long mine has lasted) , so the company may have changed. Give it a go. I would caution about listening to any sales pitch about selling the product. DriWash is very good, but it is not cheap.

• Like 2