Tie down your plane or else??

DrZoos

Guest Maj Millard

Ouch....wouldn't have had a pretty landing....I just got a txt from a Drifter owner on a station north of Richmond Qld, he's looking for new Drifter wing tubes after a storm last night....anyone got any ?..................Maj....

Yeah! Ross. Challenge these days is trying to determine what is real.

Edit. Talking about an ill wind! Fran and I went to the Cairns esplanade on new years eve to watch the fireworks. Part of the display was a sky dive. The wind was from the north and I estimated it to be around 13 kt, gusting to 15 kt. All the jumpers came in down wind at a great rate of kts. We couldn`t see exactly where they were landing but the only place they could have landed was in the swiming lagoon ( The lagoon is not your normal pool and apperantly it`s been done before)

Ross! I thought sky divers had to land into wind.

Frank.

Frank.

The canopies these days land fast usually from a diving turn. Into wind or downwind if you have enough room to run them out.

Guest Maj Millard

15 Kt downwind landings with nothing but feet for brakes !......brave boys and girls that's for sure........the orthopaedic surgeons must be rubbing their hands together with glee !..............032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Just saw this in the news section of the forum. If ever your plane goes missing , this could be why...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqGhO49xF0Y

At the end of the video check out the crosswinds video bottom row second from the left,they were earning their coin that day:thumb up:

jason

The canopies these days land fast usually from a diving turn. Into wind or downwind if you have enough room to run them out.

Thanks ozzi! They were landing from a turn and gees it looked fast! Would have loved to see them touching down.

15 Kt downwind landings with nothing but feet for brakes !......brave boys and girls that's for sure. !..............032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

I agree Ross!... It looked like there would be some broken legs but they all landed safely. I was very impressed with their skill.

Frank.

I thought anything that flew, except Prince Charles, landed into wind...

Not so! All aircraft I saw coming into Cairns aerodrome that night (and there were several ) came in from the north and some departed to the south. Down wind in both cases.

Frank.

Just browse thru You Tube with 'canopy swooping' as key words.

Nutters,

I'm getting to old to run them out so I'm at the lighter end of the wing loading and prefer into wind with at least 5kts, 10 is good. zero wind can be a little untidy.

With noise abatement and track shortening there has been a tendency to land and take-off in downwind conditions, on "preferred" runways.. You can refuse but often get the 'run around " if you do. It can be very hard on the brakes,. Not recommended with Jabiru's. I think 3 of them broke their nosewheels off at Avalon in the early days .

There is a way of destroying lift on the wings of a parked light aircraft. A roll of foam is attached to the upper wing surface along it's length and acts as a spoiler. Very effective I'm informed. Nev

• Informative 1

Not so! All aircraft I saw coming into Cairns aerodrome that night (and there were several ) came in from the north and some departed to the south. Down wind in both cases.Frank.

the upper winds might have been a northerly, but we were very much getting a south easterly at the field. I also thought the jumpers were coming quite fast and hard, maybe they were told to hurry up as the fireworks were late and had to wait until they were all on the ground.

Another thing that may have been a factor is when doing a demo jump you cannot fly over the crowd on landing approach. With a lot of people around that lagoon would be pretty tight and approach would be over water.

Guest Maj Millard

Plus you generally only have a very small landing area on a demo, compared to normal.

Often a "school football field" rapidly becomes 1/4 of a football field when you have 200 screaming kids, and their parents running around, everyone of them intent on 'catching' a skydiver !....

A demo in the seventies into the Katoomba high school grounds in NSW, is in the opening chapter of the book I am endeavouring to write, as it was one of the most daring I ever pulled off..............Maj....023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Best demo jumps I've done were the Brisbane Ekka at night with flares.

Like every thing else these days over regulating has cost it out of existence.

the upper winds might have been a northerly, but we were very much getting a south easterly at the field.

Not that it matters here but we were there for the 9 pm display and the low level wind was a northerly.

A demo in the seventies into the Katoomba high school grounds in NSW, is in the opening chapter of the book I am endeavouring to write, as it was one of the most daring I ever pulled off..............Maj....023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Goodonya Ross! Hope you get it writen and published. I`ll certainly read it.

Frank.

A tale of a tie-down in vain; a Gooney bird flying far away ... alone:

9 Dec 1960 - Antarctic blizzard destroyed two RAAF aircraft

A65-81 found

The 12-man RAAF Antarctic Flight providing air support to the scientific program conducted by the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE) suffered the loss of both its aircraft in a summer cyclone on this day. When blizzard conditions had been predicted for the afternoon of 8 December, the aircraft were tied down at Rumdoodle airstrip, located on a rock plateau in the Masson Ranges 24 kilometres from the main base at Mawson, to ride out the storm. When personnel checked on the aircraft at 8.40 am next day they found the DHC-2 Beaver on its back against a wind fence with its wings ripped off. Of the Flight’s Dakota there was no sign. This aircraft was eventually located pushed against a heavily-crevassed ice cliff 13 kilometres away. As a result of these losses, the RAAF decided against providing an aerial presence for ANARE’s operations during the 1961 season.

More on Arctic aviation here: http://www.ku-prism.org/resources/BearsOnIce/InfoPages/srAviation.htm

(excerpt from 'AF History' email newsletter 10 Dec 2013)

image003.jpg.449645076b90acc219c80adb1d8013c6.jpg

image002.jpg.881e71c5ca269b7ee014db65436905cd.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Hey the old Goony bird went for a fly, and not a bad landing on its own by the look of it.....who needs pilots ?.!..........Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif