Casa ramp checks for raa explained on casa site

DrZoos

If you want a modified "printer friendly" version with white background and black text, PM me with your email address

- I cant post it as the file is too large for this website.

I've laminated my copy, and will keep it with the aircraft.

ahhhh ffs ft, what the hell is wrong with this initiative???? OK, the printer friendly execution left a little to be desired, but the info and concept is great.

Rather than slagging CASA off, we now know from the horse's mouth what we need to do to comply with a ramp check. I for one welcome this small initiative. Give credit where its due, and stop living under that bridge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Guest Andys@coffs

I agree that a one pager of requirements is a good thing...Instructors must like the idea as well, it makes imparting the knowledge all that much easier I would have thought.

Andy

Too much policing still for my liking. So i should carry my maintenance logs in my flex along with my stupid paper licence and PLB and medical and blah blah etc. Screw this police state. I shouldnt have to carry another licence, pilot log, engine log, airframe log, medical or a PLB with me. all crap. some form of id is fine and check that the ac is rego and airworthy but screw that. its plain harrassing.

• Agree 1

Police state? That's overstating the situation surely.

You shouldn't carry (nor I believe is it required) for you to carry your maintenance records with you.

PLBs are for YOUR benefit if you go down, remember.

No separate medical for RAA (generally), just plastic RAA licence, plastic drivers licence, which fits neatly into one of those wallet thingys most guys have.

You REALLY cant complain about those requirements, can you?

No pleasing some people, is there ft?

• Agree 2

HF: printer friendly means black text on white designed to fit on an A4 page without nav menus. the exact opposite of what CASA have produced.

If grandad tries to print that out on his inkjet at home, the page will end up wet with black ink which will run into the green making the small text illegible and the page will end up corrugated as the ink dries unevenly. Try it, prove me wrong.

• Agree 2

and what the hell did I say about CASA's printer friendly version? do you even read replies????sheesh

I've even produced a genuine printer friendly version for people who want to send me a PM. Even sent CASA a note about reversing the colours. Time to get off your soapbox.

logically, is it necessesary? my maintenance records of engine and airframe are combined. my logbook is sepparate my paper licence is separate, my medical is separate my insurance is separate. just leave us all alone and check valid ID and aircraft reg and serviceability and look us up if they are unsure. a PLB is a crock of wank. another device that we require within the nanny state we live.

• Agree 1

logically, is it necessesary? my maintenance records of engine and airframe are combined. my logbook is sepparate my paper licence is separate, my medical is separate my insurance is separate. just leave us all alone and check valid ID and aircraft reg and serviceability and look us up if they are unsure. a PLB is a crock of wank. another device that we require within the nanny state we live.

Just so we're all clear on this, if you have an incident and end up in a situation where you and the pieces of your conveyance aren't wrapped neatly in a self addressed parcel, you're satisfied that the community should leave everything where it ends up. Or that the community should be required to spend what ever time, money and effort to locate and assist you even though you believe that you should not be required to pay the few hundred $'s and trivial effort of carrying a PLB that may expedite the delivery of assistance?

And that any requirement to provide proof of compliance to safety regulations is unnecessary and a waste of your time and effort?

Seriously?

May your aviation experience be forever perfect with other licensed, trained, medically fit and airworthy participants who shall only ever descend from the heavens at a location of their choosing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Thanks Dr. I see that they also have a ramp check guide to sport and recreational pilots who fly with a CASA licence in a CASA registered airplane or aeroplane.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101863

Interesting comment on it:

Paper or electronic copy of licence acceptable ... Paper or electronic copy of medical certificate acceptable

Too much policing still for my liking. So i should carry my maintenance logs in my flex along with my stupid paper licence and PLB and medical and blah blah etc. Screw this police state. I shouldnt have to carry another licence, pilot log, engine log, airframe log, medical or a PLB with me. all crap. some form of id is fine and check that the ac is rego and airworthy but screw that. its plain harrassing.

Fortunately for the rest of us potentially below you, you don't have a choice.

• Like 1

I think mandatory PLB should be in a lot more pursuits with the ridiculous cost of rescues. I for one want them to know exactly where i am, if im stuck in my plane 40feet off the ground from a perfect stall landing on top of trees in tiger country. Or if i have an engine out and land in a paddock , hit a stump and have some injuries. Id rather pull the PLB out and flick the switch then wait 5-10 hours till my wife rings the cops to report me missing. Even if i rang her, in a lot of cases id have trouble explaining where i am for a rescue, as 25nm NW of the field in xyz area doesnt really help the ambo's when they are trying to find you by ground roads.

As for the other stuff. Well id rather know and have it with me then not know and get a fine. I welcome this list and thats why i thought it proper to post it in here.

• Agree 5

Printer Friendly Version - Ramp Check Requirements In Word or PDF

Disclaimer. - Slight modification of point 1. Please cross check if concerned against posts above.

The left one is PDF , the right Word 97-2003 but will work in newer versions

CASA Ramp Check Requirements For RAAus Pilots.pdf

CASA Ramp Check Requirements For RAAus Pilots.doc

• Helpful 2

.... a PLB is a crock of wank. another device that we require within the nanny state we live.

Slow down there Nick. You object to having to carry a PLB? Nobody should have to remind you how much pain and suffering it could save you. As one who has done quite a bit of searching for the lost, I wish everyone who walks off the beaten track had one bolted to his skull. And while I'm on my soap box, most of our search customers are repeat offenders with psychological issues. I have suggested to their families that they only have access to bright-hi-vis clothing. It sure dampens the enthusiasm when they wear camou and play hide and seek.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

There is no requirement to carry maintenance logs for the aircraft and it is better not to. If you end up badly broken, then your maintenance log at home or the airport would be a help to the investigators.

As for not liking the CASA requirements, most of them have evolved over the years in response to accidents. I don't like CASA's attitude, but only because it could be done better.

If you don't like all the regs, then I suggest you don't fly, or at least don't fly near me. You could point the finger at the authorities making the road rules in the same way, but nobody seems to complain about them and they are absolutely ridiculous in Qld.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Fortunately for the rest of us potentially below you, you don't have a choice.

How does having a PLB make it any safer for you flying beneath me?? it actually increases your risk...... another object to fall out and land on your plane beneath me. ;-)

I think they should be encouraged and they are a great idea but the whole police state nonsense really gets under my skin. Cant their be a bit more trust after all we are licenced responsible people.

How long until we are dictated to have transponders fitted? At least then everyone can fly around with their eyes closed.

How does having a PLB make it any safer for you flying beneath me?? it actually increases your risk...... another object to fall out and land on your plane beneath me. ;-)I think they should be encouraged and they are a great idea but the whole police state nonsense really gets under my skin. Cant their be a bit more trust after all we are licenced responsible people.

How long until we are dictated to have transponders fitted? At least then everyone can fly around with their eyes closed.

Funnily enough if you expand ELB it gives a little hint as to when it may be required and when it is most effective in increasing the safety of the participants indulging in aviation, above or below you!

As far as trust goes, maybe in utopia and maybe for most people. In reality some people aren't licensed and some aren't responsible. Maybe people who push the 'trust everyone, they're all responsible and always do the right thing' are fuelling the lack of trust 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1