This poor bugger fell asleep over newc syd

DrZoos

Pilot Cusato falls asleep at 8500 feet

By Joanne McCarthy

Jan. 21, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

• A report released yesterday revealed councillor was grounded after falling asleep mid-flight last year.

TIREDNESS, illness and country and western music are to blame after a solo pilot’s 20-minute snooze through Newcastle airspace sparked a minor emergency and a serious air transport investigation.

Port Macquarie businessman and city councillor was grounded after a sleep on September 1 last year that started shortly after he switched his Cessna 210 to auto-pilot and listened to country and western music on a flight from Port Macquarie to Bankstown airport.

An Australian Transport Safety Bureau report released yesterday said Mr Cusato failed to respond to numerous calls from air traffic controllers in Brisbane and Sydney from 4pm as he entered Williamtown airspace at 8500 feet.

Thread drift...I heard or read somewhere John Denver's accident was a result of trying to access the fuel valve and flew it into the ground while distracted?

Michael said this scared the living daylight out of him. His autopilot put him to sleep and saved his life on the same day. I wonder how many have nodded off while actually flying . Without the ap to save them from a graveyard dive.

I was working in an underground mine, studying evenings at Tech and doing flying training at 6am. The instructor said I was the first student to fall asleep during training, on my first dual cross country. Many years ago.