CASA --- RAAus Relationship?

Keith Page

Kev,

Special resolutions are supposed to be published with the notice of meeting or at least in an agenda ahead of the General Meeting in the required time frame. Special resolutions must be on notice, nothing can be changed or added at the meeting.

They will of course require a 75% majority of eligible votes to be successful.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev,There are a number of special resolutions for constitutional amendment coming up at the General Meeting at Natfly that will require the minutes to record each Board members vote. They need to be supported

Are you going to spell out the nature, if not the detail, of these special resolutions? There may be some or many who might consider going to Temora, or granting a proxy, if they knew what was coming up and could organise themselves, given that Temora is a bugger of a place to get to. Will there be a demand that the board put out a precis of the proposed Ops Manual Changes?

Gidday ol fella ... LOL.

The special resolutions must come on notice from the secretary, we should see them soon. Maybe Don will put them up on here with some discussion. The CRC certainly haven't put anything up, i don't know what happened to them in this process ... perhaps nothing as in the past.

"Only the members have the power to change the REPs if they don't do it whose fault is it?"We do........We did............ No additional accountability.

I don't have time for this merry go round no wonder the board reps don't like posting on here.

I don't have time for this merry go round no wonder the board reps don't like posting on here.

I'm not surprised. I think i have given a good account as to why i think change is necessary and in all this time you have only challenged my views but not actually given an account of why we should not make such important changes.

I had no idea I was signing up for a "serial pest"team, merely stating my agreement with the opinion he was stating at that time. That does not mean i agree with everything else some of those posters had to say.I agree we have some good board Members but I also remember the mess created when we had no information or control of the Boards direction. Some of those Board members may not have been at any fault but the members demanded more accountability and demanded an EGM to push that point. We have since changed some Board members but have made no changes to the processes that allowed that situation to develop in the first place. Regardless of how good or honest we think our current Board is, we must change the system to ensure such a situation can never occur again. Interestingly none of the Board Members elected since have been able to show they have been making any attempt to change the way the Board operates to make it more accountable.

Members have been accused of being apathetic as a reason the problems occurred, and I could well have been one of those. Not so much apathy but simply a case of not actually knowing what was happening within our association. I was flying, I was happy. I now know and as I wish to continue with my flying privileges will do whatever I can to make sure I am kept informed as the Board, even the current one, seem unable to keep the members up to date with what is happening within our association.

Aero, Do you not think communication has improved? Info on the web site? Accountability behind the scenes has in will continue however that is harder to demostrate at this time. There is support for reform on the constitution however that has a way to go.

Jim Tatlock

• Agree 1

Aero, Do you not think communication has improved? Info on the web site? Accountability behind the scenes has in will continue however that is harder to demostrate at this time. There is support for reform on the constitution however that has a way to go.Jim Tatlock

Yes Jim, I do think think things have improved and believe there is some good work being done. Still a long way to go though.

I don't have a problem with any Rep. I have a problem with the systems in place that allowed the previous mess to happen and the Reps not changing that system. Accountability may have improved "behind the scenes" but until the Board can show the members just how, it is optimistic to think you will gain the full support and trust of the membership. We are a 9500, or so, association relying on the goodwill of a few elected members, That didn't turn out so well last time.

I cant see any reason why the Board could not announce what changes they had made to make things better. Surly that would make things even better for the Board.

I did put out the challenge several days ago for one of our Reps to make available the confidentiality agreement and asked why our elected officials are denied access to information unless it is signed. Now you are here would you care to take up that challenge?

I'm not surprised. I think i have given a good account as to why i think change is necessary and in all this time you have only challenged my views but not actually given an account of why we should not make such important changes.

"Only the members have the power to change the REPs if they don't do it whose fault is it?"We do........We did............ No additional accountability.

The reason why I can not be bothered with you is you are not being honest. Accountability has improved and we have only changed some of the reps the job is not finished. Did you bother to vote? Do you still have Gavin over there? At the EGM PM had a stack of proxies the NSW guys need to make some changes. I can't be bothered stating the obvious to you.

Accountability has improved. Communications have improved.

From pathetic to poor.

Some information is provided on important issues, but sporadically, late, and without much context.

Board member representation of members varies, but is still poor in terms of information to members.

I am pretty unhappy that we have improved so little from a situation that required an EGM to get anything useful from the board on the registration débâcle.

dodo

• Agree 1

Aero - Take up the challege. I don't have a copy of the confidentiality agreement. It was a one page document and yes as I arrive under the past administration I was not given access to forums until I had signed it. In fact when I shared some information on this site I was then removed from access to the board forum (without being informed). That was under the 'old' administration, several of the drivers of these actions have since left the board or taken a back seat. It was very clear the board was at that time a poorly functioning management tool. The CA is not a major issue. It is there to provide recourse if a board member intentionally breaches confidentiality. As a board were are requried to discuss contracts, staff, discipline matters, compliance and regulatory matters. As you could imaging if this information is in the general membership community during our discussions it would complicate or damage fair processes. It's not there to 'keep the membership in the dark'. However when I started on the board what I found was most of the board was 'in the dark', that has stopped I am glad to say.

It is significantly better now however has a way to go. Since I have been on the board the Association has gone from disaster to disaster. Most of the disasters were started years ago but only came to bite us when CASA started to look closer. Not surprisingly the CASA new exactly where to look to find skeletons. As time goes on we (staff and board) are dealing with issues and attempting to rebuild some relationships. Things are improving but at significant financial cost. These costs wont be short term. As the systems we are required to implement will need to be ongoing so the Association will be significantly more expensive to run. We can absorb some of the cost for a short period but that will not work for more than a few years. Again the problems we are facing now are because we expanded so quickly but the professional management didn't. If we are to prosper we need to be inovative, safe and dynamic (couple of catch words there).

I have said it many times if you have time and skills run for the board!!! Choose your representative carefully, we are not a club, being a nice guy doesn't cut it.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the confidentiality form and decide if it can cause harm by posting it. If it will not cause harm I will post it.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

RA-Aus Treasurer

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Informative 1

Congratulations on taking up the challenge Jim, and thank you.

I'm sure there are a lot of skeletons and things will take time. But I hope you and the other Board Members realise the general membership not only have a need to know what is happening within our association but are getting angry with the lack of information. Board minutes take 5 months to appear on the website and are incomplete as to missing reports from the president and secretary, yet it includes the GM and other reports. I understand there will be issues that must remain confidential but I don't believe for one minute that all Board information in those reports is confidential. The new Ops Manual is another example, it is now with CASA but no members have had an opportunity to see any changes. I would have thought such document that governs exactly how we can operate our aircraft would be available, if not for comment, certainly for perusal.

The Board requires monthly reports from the staff to ensure things are on track and any problems can be detected and acted on early. That is just due diligence on behalf of the Board. There is however that same need for the membership to know if our Board are on track and working effectively. This could be in the form of a monthly report to the members on the website. It does not have to provide sensitive material but an overview of the issues RAAus is currently working on and the direction the Board is heading with those issues. At the moment we get nothing of any substance.

With the issue of board members voting being recorded, this is the only way we can see if the members we voted for are following the platforms they were elected on . I understand that some constitutional reforms are under way that may include this issue however I believe that we don't need constitutional reforms to address this. It only need the willingness of the Board to be transparent. The constitution does not preclude this happening and is normal practice in most minutes I have seen. It only needs the Board to direct the minute taker to record the votes.

It does not bode well for our future when a Board has to be forced by constitutional changes to do what it should be doing voluntarily in the interest of accountability to the members.

Please no not read this as I am not supportive your efforts, we just need some Board members to start raising some of these issues in the Board Room and make a real start on change to accountability and supply of information to the members, not just working on damage control.

Some of us know we do not have the skills required to perform the duties of a Board member. That doesn't mean we are not worthy of being kept informed.

Thanks again Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Challenge completed (as shown on other thread), thanks Jim.

The fact that you had to get a majority of the board to approve the release tells more than the actual document itself. It is a good sign that no longer is one person deciding what is confidential and what is not.

Kev