Weather radar overlay now on Ozrunways.....

Guest Maj Millard

I have mine connected to a outside antenna but not in band though I can see aircraft from about 4000 ft and out to about 60nm from here…its very impressive and you can see the lag in flightradar24 as we are getting the pings direct from the aircraft…..my only complaint so far is the icons need to be a different colour…it is a blue ring and gets lost on the different maps…maybe they need to change the colours of the adsb aircraft for easier viewing

• Agree 1

Very interesting thread, but a bit over my head. Sounds like we are on the cusp of an affordable (but not certified) traffic avoidance system. All that's missing is inexpensive transponders. I know the AusRunways fellas are a bit snowed under at present, but that might be a good direction to take their software.

The RF side of the transponders is somewhat much different I am afraid…I doubt they will ever been cheap but I am sure in the not too distant future if you want to fly over 5000 ft you will be required to have one…got a spare 2 grand or so lying around?

o

hongs, I looked at the multi colored WX forcast overlay but found it nex to useless. As it is a forecast, what is the delay in what you see displayed, to when you actually get that WX ??.............Maj.....

I use an app called Oz Radar on my iPhone all the time. This overlay on Ozrunways is the same thing. It is very good and in my experience it is very accurate - generally. Laurie

here is one I just snapped the aircraft is at my place here at burpengay and VOZ992 at 15,000 ft is around 63km or 35 nm from here I also have around 15 metres of coax hanging off the wrong sort of antenna and at 1090 mhz thats a lot of loss

photo-1_2.jpg.904f60e207b4d1ab4b6d88bf0b56f7f9.jpg

• Caution 1

The RF side of the transponders is somewhat much different I am afraid…I doubt they will ever been cheap but I am sure in the not too distant future if you want to fly over 5000 ft you will be required to have one…got a spare 2 grand or so lying around?

Bu99er! That will become the next sh!tfight.

On a similar note has anyone else had an issue with the showing of runways on the flight plan map. It was showing there before the last update and now I can select or deselect the tab but it does not show. Is it possible that it will only show when moving toward the destination?

I think you now need to have it set in the route or as destination?

Could u enlighten me about these raspberry pi

How do they work

How do u use it with iPad eg : wifi or plug in ?

Where would I get one Apple product .?

Do u mount the unit in the aircraft ?

Will it charge the iPad if it plugs in ?

How much are they .

Thank fellow s

• Agree 1

Lots of questions Doug

The Raspberry Pi is a mini computer called a embedded controller it is very small it has 2 usb ports and a HDMI video out plus composite video and also audio it also has other connections as well to control things hanging off it. It uses a SD card to hold its firmware and main program so you just power it with 5 volts and it is a bootable stand alone computer that is 3 inches by 2 inches pretty much.

This adsb setup uses a usb wifi dongle to talk to the iPad over wifi so no direct connection the other usb port has a tv dongle in it..albeit a specific type of one this is basically a SDR (software defined radio) that will receive from 10 mhz through to 1700 mhz ADSB is transmitted on 1090 mhz this receives the signal direct from the aircraft around via a transponder antenna or you can use the one supplied although it is cut for lower frequencies a proper transponder antenna will work better. So the tv dongle receives the signal from all the aircraft within range then sends the data to the raspberry Pi this runs a program that then sends a data string for each aircraft to the iPad running ozrunways via the wifi dongle and hence comes up as a live icon showing the aircrafts call sign and height. I will post some pics shortly of the system

Mark

Lots of questions DougThe Raspberry Pi is a mini computer called a embedded controller it is very small it has 2 usb ports and a HDMI video out plus composite video and also audio it also has other connections as well to control things hanging off it. It uses a SD card to hold its firmware and main program so you just power it with 5 volts and it is a bootable stand alone computer that is 3 inches by 2 inches pretty much.

This adsb setup uses a usb wifi dongle to talk to the iPad over wifi so no direct connection the other usb port has a tv dongle in it..albeit a specific type of one this is basically a SDR (software defined radio) that will receive from 10 mhz through to 1700 mhz ADSB is transmitted on 1090 mhz this receives the signal direct from the aircraft around via a transponder antenna or you can use the one supplied although it is cut for lower frequencies a proper transponder antenna will work better. So the tv dongle receives the signal from all the aircraft within range then sends the data to the raspberry Pi this runs a program that then sends a data string for each aircraft to the iPad running ozrunways via the wifi dongle and hence comes up as a live icom showing the aircrafts call sign and height. I will post some pics shortly of the system

Mark

Sound good Mark so if I was interested in setting this up with my iPad where would I get one and how hard would it be for a mug like me to set up

Or could u point me to someone who would set it up and I pay for there trouble ?

Sorry about the questions but if ya don't ask no bugger gonna tell ya thanks mate

Cheers Doug

Could u enlighten me about these raspberry pi How do they work

How do u use it with iPad eg : wifi or plug in ?

Where would I get one Apple product .?

Do u mount the unit in the aircraft ?

Will it charge the iPad if it plugs in ?

How much are they .

Thank fellow s

You will need a apple iPad or iPad mini..get from apple store online or JB HIFI or other apple dealers

yes the raspberry Pi needs to be in the aircraft

no it won't charge the iPad..you just need a 12 vdc source to do that

I think Ozrunways will sell a kit of parts soon but you can get the Pi from Element 14 about 38 bucks I got the wifi dongle from the same place 16 bucks the tv dongle from ebay about 11 bucks and a SD card 8GB make sure it is class 10 type of card they are about 25 bucks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310799962566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://au.element14.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-modb-512m/sbc-raspberry-pi-model-b-512mb/dp/219186302

http://au.element14.com/element14/wipi/dongle-wifi-usb-for-raspberry-pi/dp/213390002

• Like 1

Literally its plug and play The hardest thing is to get the firmware onto the SD card but if you buy one preloaded you can just plug the wifi dongle in the tv receiver in hook it up to a external antenna supply it with 5 volts via a 12vdc usb charger unit and setup the iPad. I just tried it with hotspot to my iPhone. because you are using the wifi on the iPad you can't hotspot using wifi to your iPhone if you are not using a cellular version but its easy to sort it. Just enable hotspot via bluetooth to the iPad from your phone and that leaves the wifi free for the ABSB. I tried it here and works like a treat so I can get the weather radar overlay as well as the ABSB traffic at the same time without a cellular card in my iPad mini…my mini has cellular but I only got that for the internal gps. By the way the internal GPS gets a perfect fix INSIDE my steel work shed with the doors closed it is unbelievable

I can get the bits and sort it out for you. Just been talking to Cosmick and discussing about putting the lot into a box so you just hook 12v to it and a antenna connector on the box as a easy fit option. The setup for the iPad once its all together is a no brainer the biggest cost of supplying it all is a bit of labour and the box and a coax with a mcx connector to the antenna connector to the outside. I am sure I saw transponder antennas on ebay pretty cheap will have a look at them as well

• Like 3

021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Bu99er! That will become the next sh!tfight.

Maybe not, at least cost wise, as there are moves afoot to consider very low power units (say 30nm range) & therefore low cost but everyone would have to have one - no exemptions. Not a bad option IMO:nod:

Jake J

• Informative 1

From a safety point of view for VFR traffic the best thing currently is having a transponder (calibrated mode C) and a radio on the correct frequency.

1 Heavy traffic will see you on TCAS

2 Most heavy traffic descend in CTA

3 If you have a transponder and radio you will be informed if you are in conflict with IFR traffic

4 At regional airports the most frequent RPT traffic up this way is Dash8s which (at this stage) don't yet have mode S

5 Having your eyes outside is essential as OCTA many aircraft do have nor require a transponder or in some cases do not turn the transponder on when not required to do so.

I would prefer to have a pilots eyes outside rather then looking at a screen to find mode S traffic. It is interesting technology for sure but for low VFR single pilot operations it more for entertainment then safety.

• Agree 2