New want to be pilot

Guest raafrebel

Guest raafrebel

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am totally new to aviation. Although i have loved planes, airports and everything in between since as long as i can remember, Im going to be taking my first flying lesson in the next few weeks and I am very much looking forward to it.

I live in the Hawksburry area

Im 45 years old, and im a bit of a speed freak. I own several motorcycles , ride and have lots of racing experience over the years. I also love cars and have a couple old american cars (corvettes)

If i get the bug, I will sell em all and buy a plane!!

I have NEVER taken the controls of any aircraft at all (exept computer sims) so im a little nervous but very exited.

I want to be able to get my private licence over the next year or 2 depending on cash and how long it actually take and i have no idea about that either!!

Ive even been looking at the cost of buying an aircraft as well. To my suprise, you can buy a plane for way cheaper than i thought!!

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or info i should know before i head out to Camden, it would be greatly appretiated.

Dan

There will be plenty of other people here who will be able to give a lot better advice then I could, but I think you've already done the best part of getting started, and that's actually booking in for your first lesson! Good on you for taking that step. Enjoy it and take in everything you can to be safe, and enjoy it.

• Agree 1

Hi Dan

Welcome and enjoy the lessons. I started at about your age and I love it! Wish I had started earlier!

Yes you can buy a plane cheaply but then you need to hangar it and maintain it. Lots of threads and advice on here about cost of ownership, and the forum is full of people who rent, buy, form syndicates etc.

Only advice I can pass on is to try do lessons as frequently as possible. If you space them out too far you have to relearn muscle memory.

Have fun!

Ryan

• Agree 1

Guest raafrebel

Thanks so far guys. Ryan, thats a great piont. How often do you recomend lessons? I was thinking for the first few, every fortnight, then about once a month. whould that be sufficient? I think when i have time, between lessons, to try to gain (reading ) as much info on flight as i can . Im pretty passionate about aircraft so the reading part wont be a problem.

I also spend quite a bit of time (when i can) photographing aircraft (along with LOTS of motor sport) at Mascot, Richmond RAAF and what ever other air shows i can get too! By the way, ia there a section here for photography? i have lots of great photos that some of you guys and girls may like

Also, should i be looking for any books or equipment?

You'll find many pilots here that are (were) into motorbikes and racing cars etc. Just remember the journey towards a pilot licence involves a lot of study so be prepared to allocate a time and place where you can be alone and undisturbed for a few hours a week. Even if that means taking your books etc. to the library. Having said that, the study comes after a few lessons in the air where you can determine if it is in fact something you can do. As you reach various milestones (first solo, first nav, first engine failure etc.) you will be required to shout a beer for all the current forum members. Good luck in your adventures.

• Like 2

I try to remember that I had muscles too. Nev

I wish I had muscles. I once had to ask the girl over the fence (12 years old) to remove the lid to the pickle jar for me (sigh...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyhow regarding training, do one session a week, minimum if you are serious. Limit to about 50 minutes in the early stages . You should get a pre and post flight briefing. Keep ahead of your flying with adequate coverage of the theory. Nev

• Agree 1

Hi everyone,if anyone has any tips or info i should know before i head out to Camden, it would be greatly appretiated.Dan

G`Day Dan and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif..... Good communication with your instructor is essential. If you can`t communicate well, you will have difficulty learning so start by finding an instructor who meets your particular needs and don`t be afraid to ask questions.

As a student pilot you will need to start with 'Basic Aeronatucal Knowledge' ( BAK ). Get a good book on the subject and study it as much as you can, it will help you with your lessons.

If possible,do one lesson per week, no further appart than 1 every 2 weeks or you may lose what you have learnt in the previous lesson. A lesson should only last as long as your ability to comprehend it, any longer and you will be wasting your time and money.

Frank.

• Agree 1

G`Day Dan and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif..... Good communication with your instructor is essential. If you can`t communicate well, you will have difficulty learning so start by finding an instructor who meets your particular needs and don`t be afraid to ask questions.As a student pilot you will need to start with 'Basic Aeronatucal Knowledge' ( BAK ). Get a good book on the subject and study it as much as you can, it will help you with your lessons.

If possible,do one lesson per week, no further appart than 1 every 2 weeks or you may lose what you have learnt in the previous lesson. A lesson should only last as long as your ability to comprehend it, any longer and you will be wasting your time and money.

Frank.

+1

From my experience and advice from my instructors:

I'd expand on what Frank said about communication with the instructor, to trying to find one that you click with on a personal level as well. Feeling comfortable with the instructor goes a long way in freeing up your brain for the task at hand.

Expect to be completely mentally loaded in the first few lessons. Working in a 3 dimensional environment for the first time takes a lot of focus and concentration. It does get easier with practice and familiarity with the response of the machine to the controls.

Expect it also not to be as smoooooth as it looks from the ground. There are bumps in the air and they are normal and the airplane is designed to withstand them (up to a point).

Also, almost everyone hits a wall at some point in their training and some give up because of it. Expect the wall, but don't let it defeat you. Be patient with yourself, the airplane and your instructor. Persist and it WILL happen. You don't need to be "clever" to learn to fly, just persistant and disciplined.

As for owning your own plane: IMO, the ONLY way to go, but as Ryan said, you need to be able to afford the upkeep.

I'd suggest weekly lessons to start with and then maybe fortnightly. Weekly would be preferable and monthly is too long. The more often you fly, the less money you will spend overall, because if you wait too long between lessons, you spend too much time re-learning the previous lesson. Flying is as much a physical activity as mental, and you need to practise to become proficient. Your racing experience should help, although flying a plane is nothing like driving a car.

rgmwa

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on making the decision to learn to fly! You will not regret it. I also wished I had done it earlier than the age of 54, so you are ahead of me.

I would agree with what the others have said, ie a lesson a week if possible, and ask your instructor what the next lesson will be so you can read it up in the books beforehand and have a better idea of what you are doing (and why) when you come to each lesson.

Learning is fun, so just take it one step at a time, and don't expect to remember everything first time - you won't!

Enjoy your learning, and keep us all posted with your progress.

Cheers and good luck,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the weekly lessons. You'll learn much quicker & save money, as said. Learning sessions are such fun, you'll be hooked anyway.

You'll fly many more hours if you manage to own your own plane. There's lots around.

I'm building one of these. Flying doesn't have to be expensive!

Bruce

Keep the passion going, you may have times when you think your not getting something ,but just keep going ,it's normal.

I flew once a week and it's the best way to go if you can afford it,,,,,,and it builds a naughty habit of flying a lot when you get your own plane.

A bit of advice one of my RAA instructors gave me when I was getting frustrated with something,,,," relax and look out the window ,this is meant to be fun"!

Matty

Pots of good advice here, Dan. Owning an aircraft may be much cheaper than keeping a car or bike on the road. Hangarage is the tricky bit, but may still be cheaper than registering and insuring a bike or two. The Sport Pilot magazine has pages of planes for sale. Some fold up onto a trailer so you can take it home for secure storage and maintenance.

• Like 1