Moose anyone

Reminds me of....

Two hunters got a pilot to fly them into the far north for deer hunting. They were quite successful in their venture and bagged six big bucks. The pilot came back, as arranged, to pick them up.

They started loading their gear into the plane, including the six deer. But the pilot objected and he said, "The plane can only take four of your deer, you will have to leave two behind." They argued with him; the year before they had shot six and the pilot had allowed them to put all aboard. The plane was the same model and capacity. Reluctantly, the pilot finally permitted them to put all six aboard. But when the attempted to take off and leave the valley, the little plane could not make it and they crashed into the wilderness.

Climbing out of the wreckage, one hunter said to the other, "Do you know where we are?" "I think so," replied the other hunter. I think this is about the same place where we crashed last year!"

Well, since very sadly he passed away at Christmas, and CASA can do him no further harm, I guess I can tell of one of my mate Baz's great adventures up in Farri country. In about 1986 Baz had his recently issued AUF CFI ticket and trailered his brand new Gemini up to Cairns to provide flight training for a new student up there. It turned out this bloke planned to learn to fly, buy a two seat ultralight and use it to further his commercial mud-crabbing business. So he asked Baz whether a Gemini would do the job.

Somewhere I have pics of an adventure they undertook to test the possibilities. Returning from some muddy estuarine island, plane covered in black bog and goo, half a dozen crab pots hanging off the struts and a 'cabin' full of tied crabs. It all went fine until some of the crabs escaped their bonds and Baz always flew barefoot ...

I like to see those pic !

I'm still sorting through a lot of Baz's and my stuff that was stored in our workshop and a shipping container, I expect to come across a lot of interesting photos of that era of flying, I'll post them on Recflying when I do :-)

• Like 3
  • Caution 1

Well, since very sadly he passed away at Christmas, and CASA can do him no further harm, I guess I can tell of one of my mate Baz's great adventures up in Farri country. In about 1986 Baz had his recently issued AUF CFI ticket and trailered his brand new Gemini up to Cairns to provide flight training for a new student up there. It turned out this bloke planned to learn to fly, buy a two seat ultralight and use it to further his commercial mud-crabbing business. So he asked Baz whether a Gemini would do the job.Somewhere I have pics of an adventure they undertook to test the possibilities. Returning from some muddy estuarine island, plane covered in black bog and goo, half a dozen crab pots hanging off the struts and a 'cabin' full of tied crabs. It all went fine until some of the crabs escaped there bonds and Baz always flew barefoot ...

I like to see those pic !

The sight of a dead deer doesn't faze me at all. What gives me cold chills is the sight of 200kg of un-aerodynamic ballast casually tied to the struts.

You can warm up Marty. Moose & deer can get pretty big but a mature pronghorn antelope will normally weigh in between 35 and 60 kgs. Given that the entrails have been removed , that carcass probably wouldn't be much more than 55kg max. I quite agree with you tho, lacing it to the lift struts seems to be totally irresponsible at the very least. But then, it is North America and it's the hunter's God-given right to strap whatever game he's managed to massacre across the front fender of his car (or in this case like hanging on a clothes hoist) for the drive home to display his prowess. These things I know 'cause I've been guilty of it myself in my youth in Canada.

Bet that was hard to handle ?Little bit of drag me thinks

[ATTACH=full]27696[/ATTACH]

News flash,,,,,

Meanwhile ,,,in Australia,,,CASA is vehemently pursuing errant aircraft operators and pilots who have been fitting Go Pro mounts to the exterior of their aircraft,,,,the safety implications have the government dept very concerned

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4
  • Winner 1

In Alaska there is a special dispensation from the FAA for the securing of external loads on aircraft. In a lot of the remote areas they have no other way of transporting goods which won't fit inside. Quad bikes, boats, in this case meat/food. An interesting fact is that they (the FAA) say that the blunt end should face into the direction of travel. Boats etc are stern into the wind. I'll find a link to the advisory if I can and post it up later.

You just gotta hang the Mrs off the other strut to balance the load...

Hey winsor68, I just looked at your YouTube channel. What dish is that on your page? Is that Parkes? Did you/do you work there? I used to work at Honeysuckle Creek Tracking station.

Hey winsor68, I just looked at your YouTube channel. What dish is that on your page? Is that Parkes? Did you/do you work there? I used to work at Honeysuckle Creek Tracking station.

Yes Mate...and...Nah Mate....Maj Millard (from this sight and now NQ Board Rep) and myself flew to Temora a couple of years ago in his Lightwing GR912 from North Queensland... Townsville-Marian-Springsure-Charleville-Bourke-over The Dish-Narromine-Temora....2500 odd Nautical Miles there and back... Was a bloody awesome trip.

• Like 1